******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Do you think they will get this project actually finished as they seem to have broad ambition.

My thoughts exactly,

Things like this;

I mean, it's really nice - beautiful, incredible, but is spending time (and money) producing things like this actually going to translate into making a game that people will play,

I'm both excited about it, and also very worried that they've just bitten off way more than they can chew, set a frankly insane level of expectation and it'll fail.

Last edited:
I do have one concern.

After watching lots of wingman hanger/around the verse/10 for the chairman.

Do you think they will get this project actually finished as they seem to have broad ambition.

It seems to have been in development for an age already, for that we have a few flyable ships and a couple of maps.

They keep coming up with new ships, and new module idea's, none of them are usable, there seems to be a lot of work going into pretty looking but can't touch stuff.

IMO, stop, just stop that and get on with making what exists playable.

Well that's different people's jobs,
Artists make the pretty stuff, and once it's rigged it's all on the programmers.
So the artists keep chugging on making the next pretty ship, and it seems artists are quicker
But the programmers should get quicker doing the next round of ships as they'll have hit all the snags etc

I think so long as people will spend ludicrous amounts of money on these digital items they will continue to churn them out lol. They dont have to hurry to release the game for revenue when people are filling their pockets already.

cryengine
well it takes more than a few years to have an engine underperform
and porting to the next engine is mostly seemless, the bigger concern is the state of crytek atm, if they go down there's no 'next engine' and then it's a ***** to port

It is certainly worrying.

And then what happens if after they do finish it in a few years time it then looks dated as the Crysis (crytek?) engine has been surpassed by other engines.

Parr for course with MMO's, EVE is abit like that, looked awesome when it came out, but that was yonks ago, they have incrementally refreshed the way it looks by updating textures ecte.... but it still looks very dated now.

Last edited:
I suspect the CCU situation is so they can get a few extra bucks out of people doing them, I haven't really looked into it but I suspect that upgrading to a Hornet via CCUs from an Aurora would be slightly more expensive than simply pledging directly for the Hornet. What they're doing with CCUs is sustaining the grey market and the limited upgrades that come out help keep it going too. Lock those upgrades to the account they're bought on after X days, job done.

AFAIK the CCUs and upgrades are always the difference in price, except when its a side/down grade, its a $5 minimum, so going from a Phoenix to the Taurus, costs $5 despite it being 2-3x more expensive. So it shouldnt cost more to CCU up from an Aurora to a Idris via 10 ships, as long as you're upgrading.

I do have one concern.

I have no doubts, but theres a lot of stuff they've promised which they've made clear may not make it to the 1.0 launch, it'll be added afterwards, like procedural generation, extensive internal modding (like playing The Sims inside an idris).
Theres the full launch, and then theres going to be years of updates & content, some paid (DLC missions like SQ42, not PU DLC) and most free content, all paid for via pre-release plendges, DLC packs, and people buying currency and buying the game after release.

My thoughts exactly,

Things like this;

I mean, it's really nice - beautiful, incredible, but is spending time (and money) producing things like this actually going to translate into making a game that people will play,

I'm both excited about it, and also very worried that they've just bitten off way more than they can chew, set a frankly insane level of expectation and it'll fail.

Its been answered already, but 2 key elements are that the people who are making these videos, and those coordinating it, are actually using these to practice to a degree, they're not n00bs, but its helping them with storytelling and seeing what works with the tools available (those not available, they need to implement) and so its not like they're holding other things up. All of this will then be put to use for the SQ42 type stuff where there is a story to tell.
The other aspect is that these are the equivalent of Star Citizens trailers. Every game pumps out trailers for their games in the build up, these are just that, they build hype and interest in a very different way, and while its hard to show what a PU will be like without building all these cities and universes, ships etc (the initial trailer is still about the best example we've had until the CitCon landing sequence, and thats it really) this conveys the universe, with what is available today, and is creative and fairly unique, rather than a generic montage of clips.

I dont think theres anything CIG which doesnt make sense tbh, very little anyway, afterall the funds they raise have to be used carefully. They've been very clever with what they've done, IMO.

AFAIK the CCUs and upgrades are always the difference in price, except when its a side/down grade, its a $5 minimum, so going from a Phoenix to the Taurus, costs $5 despite it being 2-3x more expensive. So it shouldnt cost more to CCU up from an Aurora to a Idris via 10 ships, as long as you're upgrading.

I have no doubts, but theres a lot of stuff they've promised which they've made clear may not make it to the 1.0 launch, it'll be added afterwards, like procedural generation, extensive internal modding (like playing The Sims inside an idris).
Theres the full launch, and then theres going to be years of updates & content, some paid (DLC missions like SQ42, not PU DLC) and most free content, all paid for via pre-release plendges, DLC packs, and people buying currency and buying the game after release.

Its been answered already, but 2 key elements are that the people who are making these videos, and those coordinating it, are actually using these to practice to a degree, they're not n00bs, but its helping them with storytelling and seeing what works with the tools available (those not available, they need to implement) and so its not like they're holding other things up. All of this will then be put to use for the SQ42 type stuff where there is a story to tell.
The other aspect is that these are the equivalent of Star Citizens trailers. Every game pumps out trailers for their games in the build up, these are just that, they build hype and interest in a very different way, and while its hard to show what a PU will be like without building all these cities and universes, ships etc (the initial trailer is still about the best example we've had until the CitCon landing sequence, and thats it really) this conveys the universe, with what is available today, and is creative and fairly unique, rather than a generic montage of clips.

I dont think theres anything CIG which doesnt make sense tbh, very little anyway, afterall the funds they raise have to be used carefully. They've been very clever with what they've done, IMO.

Quoted for truth - You don't make $60 million overnight or with ease. It's a solid concept with regular updates (yes the original timeline was a bit optimistic) but they had to get past the initial kickstarter phases. To make $60 million as quick as they have on any project is damn right impressive and a solid indication they will make damn sure the game is ground breaking.

I do have one concern.

Yes.

I'll judge it by the year.

For example, if it gets to 2016 and still no SQ42, then I will be concerned.

If no PU alpha before the end of 2016, then I will be concerned.

I'm expecting a late 2016/early 2017 PU 1.0 release, with the possibility of being pushed later into 2017.

I will not worry unless there are so many delays that push it into 2018 and beyond - which will be bad.

I'm confident that many of the features will be implemented and will in some cases exceed expectations.

Yeah, i think the things you've listed are expected mid 2015, first 10 Sq42 missions and a PU which is a few systems.

I know some people will probably be thinking it should be out next year as thats probably when early schedules had it, but really the scope of things has grown so much (and for the better) that i'm happy to see them push the date for key features, and let some things be held back till afterwards.
Theres a lot of things which they're doing which really wouldnt be feasible to do after a release, like the 64-bit FPP implementation. Making ships, new systems, different space stations etc can all be added later with ease.

I'd be surprised if there were many people who saw the planetside landing sequence who had much doubt about whether or not expectations could be met. Its seeing little snippets of the future, in very early rough form, and seeing that they already blow your expectation of what it would look like, which should calm peoples nerves IMO, and I suspect the FPS unveil will only add to that, too.

I really think we're looking at the next Crysis, with the same hardware killing requirements to go with it. Something which is a substantial step above what other games manage and struggle to match for years to follow, and becomes a game which defines a generation like Mario, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, GTA3, Halo, Crysis etc.

Letter from the Chairman $59m
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14248-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Aegis Bulldog-class Twin-Engine Deep Space Fighter – Strike hard from a distance! The Bulldog, a recent design from Aegis, has quickly become Earth’s premier deep space fighter. Deep space fighters are typically used to pursue engagements in outlying areas when support from a carrier is not available. Bulldogs are usually flown by ground- and station-based naval forces, and are widely used by militia squadrons. Specifically designed to operate from planetary bases and engage targets up to a star system’s distance, the fighter trades some maneuverability for an extended supply of fuel and munitions as well as basic survival accommodations for a pilot and radar operator. The Bulldog’s RIO operates a turret, the ship’s missile loadout (optionally) and its highly advanced sensor suite. This distinct scanning array gives the ‘Dog a particular advantage when fighting in and around an obstacle such as an asteroid field or nebula! Finally, the Bulldog is known to be an extraordinarily sturdy spacecraft, with multiple backup systems not commonly found in single-seat ships; stories of Bulldogs limping back to base with a single engine and half their fuselage exposed to vacuum have become common as the battle against the Vanduul has heated up.

Back
Top Bottom