******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Its a bit of a pain in the ass, as you get bits of different interaction systems coming together now and you add a new UI on top of that.

Up until the recent patch yes, latest patch is apparently much harder than before though. I haven't had a chance to play yet though.

Economy seems to be the focus of balancing though so it may change. Part of the issue is it was arguably too easy last time - but I'd argue that we're only at one system, the game economy needs to work for many planetary systems so there's little point in being harsh now.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an amazing moment I had with Star Citizen.

This evening, I picked up an investigation mission in Microtech that paid 30k aUEC. The task was simple: find a dead body in the new distribution centers. I had done about 10 similar, low-paying missions before, so I thought this would be a breeze.

The mission description mentioned hostile encounters, so I packed a Karna rifle and a silenced pistol.

When I landed near the lobby and entered the maintenance area, I encountered what looked like innocent NPCs in plain work clothes. But they started shooting at me! I pulled out my pistol and engaged them. They were moving, ducking for cover, and I was blown away—it felt like a real FPS shooter.

After clearing them out, I went into the main lobby and dealt with a few more enemies. They were better equipped, but there were only about 4 or 5 of them—nothing too tough.

Then, a mission marker indicated that the target might be below the lobby, near the storage/loading dock/operation areas. I took a lift down to the security checkpoint and, to my shock, was greeted by about 10 heavily armed NPCs! I barely survived the encounter as I struggled to clear the area upon exiting the elevator.

Deeper into the facility, I encountered more NPCs, but I managed to sneak past most of them and finally found the dead body in a maintenance shaft. Mission complete, right? But I decided to try making it back to my ship.

On the way back, I had to fight through the facility again, facing multiple NPCs who flanked me, took cover, and overall felt like a real modern-day FPS shooter. This was on a typical server with about 6-7 server FPS, and I was blown away by how responsive, dynamic, and challenging the AI was.

I survived purely by luck, treating the AI like I was playing Arma 3—cautious, tactical, and picking my shots carefully.

This was my WOW moment in Star Citizen, and I haven't felt like this in the game for years. It's always been a dream to have a seamless open-universe game where I can fly to a location and seamlessly transition into an FPS-style mission.

Thanks for reading!

edit: this mission took me approx an hour to complete from start to finish and i ******* loved it

Last edited:
I finally managed to play about 10-20 minutes last night, loaded up the tutorial and made it to my ship, took off and followed the markers, jumped to a space station and crashed into it.....my dreams of being Buck Rogers ended I decided it was time for bed.

Quite enjoyed my little toe dip, I may even put my specs on tonight so I can read the messages in the tutorial properly.

I'm impressed, I try the tutorial occassionally and try to be "fresh to the game" and follow it directly, I find I sometimes don't get pointed in the correct direction or get left not knowing the next step, it's OK but it could be better and it's sometimes a few patches behind before they update it. So credit for you actually getting to the stage of taking off!

If in doubt feel free to ask people on here to jump in with you, give you a taste of smashing into a station as a group, multicrew accidents are more fun :D

I'm impressed, I try the tutorial occassionally and try to be "fresh to the game" and follow it directly, I find I sometimes don't get pointed in the correct direction or get left not knowing the next step, it's OK but it could be better and it's sometimes a few patches behind before they update it. So credit for you actually getting to the stage of taking off!

If in doubt feel free to ask people on here to jump in with you, give you a taste of smashing into a station as a group, multicrew accidents are more fun :D
I think most of it is pretty straight forward, I won't deny having a few moments of wondering what I was doing, the hardest parts for me were putting on the helmet after I had dropped it on the floor somehow and then finding the elevators to the hangar as the little guide thingy vanished. I then had a bit of a struggle going from the planet to the station as I couldn't get it to go so I cancelled the fast travel and started again and it worked fine second time.

All in all I was quite taken by it for a very quick blast, I went to bed about 1.30am feeling like I can't wait for another go at it.

I did end up upside down after take off, took me a while to get back to being the right way around, I think I was trying to use WASD too much rather than the mouse.

You are on a better system than me as I only have the 7900xt paired with the 7800x3d, most of my settings were on medium, should I go for higher? What do you guys use for showing FPS, it was a little bit rough but I expected that with the warnings in here.

in game hit tilde (left of 1) and type in r_displayinfo 1, that'll show your FPS in the top right with some other bits and bobs. If you want more info on the server etc just do r_displayinfo 3 although it's a bit of a mess of text in the corner. You can r_displayinfo 0 to hide it though.

I wouldn't worry too much about detail etc. Leave it on default unless it's painful. It will vary and is generally far worse on planet than in space and at it's worse in large cities.

I think most of it is pretty straight forward, I won't deny having a few moments of wondering what I was doing, the hardest parts for me were putting on the helmet after I had dropped it on the floor somehow and then finding the elevators to the hangar as the little guide thingy vanished. I then had a bit of a struggle going from the planet to the station as I couldn't get it to go so I cancelled the fast travel and started again and it worked fine second time.

All in all I was quite taken by it for a very quick blast, I went to bed about 1.30am feeling like I can't wait for another go at it.

I did end up upside down after take off, took me a while to get back to being the right way around, I think I was trying to use WASD too much rather than the mouse.

You are on a better system than me as I only have the 7900xt paired with the 7800x3d, most of my settings were on medium, should I go for higher? What do you guys use for showing FPS, it was a little bit rough but I expected that with the warnings in here.

You should defiantly go higher... i'm on an RX 7800 XT and running it Very High 4K native, i think it actually runs better on higher settings if your hardware can handle it.

Last edited:
I'm running 3440 x 1440 so less than 4k I think. I think one setting at the top was very high and the rest were set to medium, I'll have a better look tonight when I restart the tutorial.

Cheers for the console commands, I'll try them later too.

Like what? Whose engine are they going to pull to bits and completely rebuild to get all this to work now???? This technology doesn't exist outside of CIG offices.
I thought they replaced the engine a few years back as it wasn't good enough?

SO I got deep into this a few years ago and had a really good time (outside of the optimisation:mad:). Not played for a while and have forgotten the controls, we have a tutorial now lol.

I thought they replaced the engine a few years back as it wasn't good enough?

SO I got deep into this a few years ago and had a really good time (outside of the optimisation:mad:). Not played for a while and have forgotten the controls, we have a tutorial now lol.

The moved from Cryengine to Lumberyard, which was Cryengine under another name, they did that because Lumberyard was owned by Amazon and they wanted to run the game on AWS servers.

At this point its a completely different engine, they have rebuilt it and made it their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom