******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

You just missed a play for free event.

We are usually quite nervous about encouraging people to get in to this for real money until they have tried it out for themselves in one of those limited time play for free events.

Its very much a live development, sometimes quite broken and i think a bit marmite, you're either going to think its great or you're going to think its not, either is of course a perfectly reasonable reaction to it, its not for everyone.

What i will say is you don't need the expensive ships, you can earn those in game and they have a 14 day refund policy, at least, it might be 28 or 31 days.

i got it on a free event last time, tried it that's as far as i got lol

so another words if i want to play it more regularly i have to pay no matter what? thought one of you said it was free now and again to pick up ?

Its never going to be free, its a live service game, as well as development costs they have on going running costs and always will, AWS servers are not cheap, i don't know how it will be monetised in the future when it goes live but free to play is very unlikely, even after its gone in to its official 1.0 released state they will never stop adding to it and developing it.

The biggest scam in gaming history.

Arguing with you about it being a scam is pointless if you're already going to use wording like that given by definition it very obviously is not.

CIG are not perfect, none of us are happy with everything that they have done and in every way they conduct themselves, we sometimes talk about those things here an on their own in house forum, i've written serval rants on their own forum and here.
We can talk about those things if you like, the trouble is i suspect you don't know about or understand any of it because you only follow it through clickbait media outlets writing articles designed to get you worked up about something you have no interest in so they can use you to spread their links, its a parasitical relationship.

For all their faults, of which there are many, CIG are, not even trying at this point but successfully doing something that has never been done before, they have had to invent new technologies to make it happen, all the while being told by their pears that their ambition is a fantasy, it is impossible.
It is difficult, it is expensive, it takes a long time, but it turns out not impossible.

It could only have been done they way its been done, no one but serval million middle aged Chris Roberts fan's 'back in my day' space cadets was going to give them what is likely going to end up a billion dollars to make the; go anywhere, do anything, no limits, no boundaries space adventure game happen.

We built this, not EA, not Bethesda, not Ubisoft, we did.

Last edited:
WTAF

TBF scam is probably wrong, this one however really clearly isn't.

TLDR:

If you’re a supporter, I hope you get what you paid for, but don’t become the personal internet army of a developer just because you feel like you’re pot committed at this point. You’re making the vibe surrounding this game much weirder than it needs to be.

Last edited:
I agree with that TLDR. CIG don't need us defending their sometimes stupid decisions. If people think it's a scam, fine. I'm not really sure why I would be expected to care about random stranger on the internets opinion though.

I've said many times, I've got my moneys worth out of SC already and then some. I'm in the net-positive category and suspect many others are too when you look at cost/hour of actually having fun with friends. The only game I'd say comes close is Valheim which I have 572 hours in for something like £11 ! but I've spend thousands of hours in Star Citizen over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
WTAF

TBF scam is probably wrong, this one however really clearly isn't.

TLDR:

That's a pretty good article but its reasoning is still irrational.

Out of millions of people who back this game it singles out serval dozen people and cites one as proof that its a "cult" You get cult like behaviour from people in everything and every walk of life, no rational thinker would cite those people as a representation of a community as a whole, that sort of thinking is unironically a cult like mentality.

Star Citizen is nothing compared to how much money people spaff on cosmetics for a lot of games these very people like and play, what's more they tolerate or even celebrate these monetisation practises. they certainly engage with them, i don't think Fifa, CS:GO, CoD.... players are a cult, i think these people use their money to enjoy life.

But Star Citizen is a cult because its not EA's idea?

Last edited:
I do find it rather confusing that it costs hundred million a year to run a development studio...

If you have 1000 staff getting paid an average $40,000 a year that comes to $40,000,000.
Then multiple buildings to host them, running costs of those buildings, game infrastructure costs, development costs.

CIG have 5 buildings in 4 countries and about 1,200 staff.

One more thing.

Starfield took 7 years to make, an existing studio with existing infrastructure and an existing engine.

CIG started with 12 people in a residential house, desks in hallways and bedroom's. And Cryengine.

When you look at the amount of new and original technology they built, the complexity of it, + building a multinational company of some size and developing 2 games while all this is going on around them...

I'm an NDA tester, there are occasions where i see CIG staff online interacting with us and working for 18 hours a day day in day out.

Last edited:
We'd have constant stories from the devs if it was a toxic place to work.

Keep in mind they are a company that has global holidays for all staff at set times too, not something that's standard in the US.

Last edited:
That article has a single example of a now-ex employee out of thousands of staff. That person "quit" by the sounds of is before she was fired and is obviously not going to be impartial.

Back
Top Bottom