Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Phelan's role in the staff? Sounds and Carragher was suggesting that Ole needs to draft in experience along side his team to help, however Phelan has a massive amount of it having been there with Sir Alex.

In the past drafting in someone to help has never really worked.
I think the issue is he is your only one that has any experience. Other coaches learning on the job as was/is ole.

As carra was trying to explain but nevile won't accept cause he can't get a grip over his love for ole is that when ole comes in it should be back staff full of experience to help him.

Not ex utd player coaches who have none and learning on the role.

Tbh most of utd issues still stem from a severe lack of structure that the club has along with any lack of plan when it comes to sighing players

3 center backs?

Ugh..

It's only a true 343 if your wide men in the 4 are midfielders. If it's Shaw and Bissaka you're basically playing 523.

You might do that as the poorest club in the league to avoid conceding goals... but no chance you'd do that playing 5 defenders as the richest* biggest* club in the world.

It would be humiliation.

It is exactly how Chelsea play...........

What is Phelan's role in the staff? Sounds and Carragher was suggesting that Ole needs to draft in experience along side his team to help, however Phelan has a massive amount of it having been there with Sir Alex.

In the past drafting in someone to help has never really worked.

Fergie brought in Carlos Queiroz when he wanted to move to a 443 and you could see in his absent year when he went to Madrid that we ended up third in the league and were booted out of the champs at an early stage.

Fergie is the best manager ever imo but he knew his weaknesses and how to help himself.

United are basically a legacy company that has refused to modernise and bring itself into the 21st century. We have all the hallmarks of a company that is trading on its history and name and hasn't moved with the times.

I think the issue is he is your only one that has any experience. Other coaches learning on the job as was/is ole.

As carra was trying to explain but nevile won't accept cause he can't get a grip over his love for ole is that when ole comes in it should be back staff full of experience to help him.

Not ex utd player coaches who have none and learning on the role.

Tbh most of utd issues still stem from a severe lack of structure that the club has along with any lack of plan when it comes to sighing players

I have always said this and even with Ole's weaknesses he has done some decent managerial things but he needs the coaching setup around him to move forward.

Unfortunately that will never happen now as it should have happened when he was given the full time job.

Solskjær backed by Ferguson and some directors as fate rests with Joel Glazer

Sir Alex Ferguson, Ed Woodward and Richard Arnold are supportive of Ole Gunnar Solskjær continuing as Manchester United manager, though the final decision rests with Joel Glazer, the co-chairman who heads the American family’s ownership.

Ferguson believes Solskjær, who was mentored as a young coach at United in the mid-noughties by the Scot, should be given the chance to turn fortunes around. This comes after United’s 5-0 humiliation by Liverpool on Sunday at Old Trafford and the taking of one point from the past available 12.

Woodward, who could stay as executive vice-chairman until April, and Arnold, the managing director and Woodward’s likely successor, are also minded that Solskjær should continue, having backed him during previous turbulent moments since he took over in December 2018.

However Glazer, who has five family members on the 12-person board of directors listed by United, will decide whether the 48-year-old remains. He runs United from his Florida base.

Antonio Conte, who would be open to discussing any vacancy, believes Solskjær could survive at least to Saturday, when United are at Tottenham. The club then travel to Bergamo for Tuesday’s Champions League group game with Atalanta before hosting Manchester City the following Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-some-manchester-united-directors-joel-glazer

Sounds like he's not out of the woods just yet.

First scenario with Fernandes behind a front two would mean playing one less forward player than we're playing now.
Yes and I literally said that in my previous post. That previous post was in response to you saying there's a difference between leaving 1 player out and leaving 4 or 5 out. I was showing how you could play different systems that other managers use without having to leave 4 or 5 more front players out.

But even so, why do you still want to plough ahead with 4 forwards when it clearly not working? Liverpool probably have the hardest working front players going and we very rarely play a 4-2-3-1 to fit all of Jota, Salah, Mane and Firmino in the side because in the games where we have or even prior to Jota's arrival where we've tried that formation with a midfielder coming into the side, it leaves us more exposed. And that's with 4 really hard working players in attack and very good and disciplined holding midfielders behind them. The only reason why Utd are continuing to play this way now is because Ole lacks to balls to make tough decisions.

I was listening to a podcast earlier and somebody described Ole as a supporter trying to be a manager. His management is picking names and coming out with a load of cliches. I honestly believe that Utd tried to press Liverpool at the weekend simply because Ole and the side had been getting stick for not being like City and Liverpool and I can just imagine Ole giving a team talk akin to something you'd hear a football fan say down the pub, "lets get stuck into them, don't give them any time on the ball ....blah blah". There would have been no tactical understanding on what was required to press a team properly, who they were going to press and when - it was just go out there and run about a bit more.

Yes and I literally said that in my previous post. That previous post was in response to you saying there's a difference between leaving 1 player out and leaving 4 or 5 out. I was showing how you could play different systems that other managers use without having to leave 4 or 5 more front players out.

But even so, why do you still want to plough ahead with 4 forwards when it clearly not working? Liverpool probably have the hardest working front players going and we very rarely play a 4-2-3-1 to fit all of Jota, Salah, Mane and Firmino in the side because in the games where we have or even prior to Jota's arrival where we've tried that formation with a midfielder coming into the side, it leaves us more exposed. And that's with 4 really hard working players in attack and very good and disciplined holding midfielders behind them. The only reason why Utd are continuing to play this way now is because Ole lacks to balls to make tough decisions.

I was listening to a podcast earlier and somebody described Ole as a supporter trying to be a manager. His management is picking names and coming out with a load of cliches. I honestly believe that Utd tried to press Liverpool at the weekend simply because Ole and the side had been getting stick for not being like City and Liverpool and I can just imagine Ole giving a team talk akin to something you'd hear a football fan say down the pub, "lets get stuck into them, don't give them any time on the ball ....blah blah". There would have been no tactical understanding on what was required to press a team properly, who they were going to press and when - it was just go out there and run about a bit more.

You say Ole lacks the balls but he drops Pogba and doesn't play a 70+ million pound right sided forward who took two years to sign! He also had the balls to ditch Lukaku and sell him on.

This might sound crazy but was Ole trying to make up a new way of playing football. I don't think he is doing a FIFA team but is actually trying to come up with something new. Regardless of how terrible it. We have always had trouble breaking teams down who sit back and he has tried to solve this by taking it to another extreme.

I think he needs to go back to the drawing board and start a fresh. For me realistically I would like to see a front three with Burno as the false 9 with Ronaldo on the left and Cavani/Greenwood/Sancho up top on the right. Depending who performs best. Obviously Martial and Rashford get sacrificed as they cannot play on the right and Ronaldo will not be dropped.

It will make it a lot easier in the midfield and would be perfect for DVB to come in.

Anyway we will see how he lines up this weekend to see what balls he has. If it is exactly the same as against Liverpool then it will be hopeless even if we do win.

The main crux of it is it was always a struggle to fit Pogba, Rashford, Bruno all into the team and is even worse now Ronaldo is here.

Last edited:
You say Ole lacks the balls but he drops Pogba and doesn't play a 70+ million pound right sided forward who took two years to sign!

This might sound crazy but was Ole trying to make up a new way of playing football. I don't think he is doing a FIFA team but is actually trying to come up with something new. Regardless of how terrible it.
Dropping Pogba doesn't create a headline anymore. Pogba has been dropped and is easily droppable since Mourinho was at the club and the majority of Utd supporters and wider football followers can understand why he's being dropped. Similarly leaving Sancho out of the side isn't going to create any headlines - there are no greater expectations for him to play than there are Rashford or Greenwood. That said, Ole's playing a system so that he can play as many of these players as he can rather than a system that gets the best out of them and makes the team better.

And yes, that 2nd part does sound crazy :D :D

Imagine being so stupid you think one game will change anything. I despair. :(
It’s probably because there’s no plan as to who the successor would be. Hopefully it means they’ll start to work on that in the coming weeks. But I imagine they’ll just be as useless with that as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom