Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
I had a go using air link for the first time and it was a mixed bag. Being able to play in the lounge with more space was great, the bit rate was not great. I'm now looking to get a new or supporting router. I'll be standing in the same room as the router.

I have my PC (3700X 6800XT 32GB) upstairs connected up using Home Plugs. Is this also going to be a problem? I could ultimately build a mini pc in the lounge using a i7 4770 and a 2070 super that I have that I could then wire directly into this new router?

I would say the home plugs maybe the weak link what speed are you getting through them ? Also have you tried Virtual Desktop its better than Airlink ?

Associate
Re air link, for those that use it can you advise, I have bought my son a Quest 2 for Christmas, in his bedroom he already has a direct gigabit ethernet connection on the PC and a TP Link EAP 225 (fast wifi5 ) access point. Is there any need to consider getting him a cable ? the intention is to run games off the PC (spec in my sig). I had read that it may be best to dedicate the 5Ghz band on the AP to the Quest only to prevent latency but the AP supports MU-MIMO so I might just keep that in the bag if I see issues. Given the hardware already in his room , any nbeed to buy a cable ?

Associate
Yeah I use one as do a few other Quest 2 owners I think. Its the Honor version but its near identical. The only device that connects to it is the Quest 2 on Wifi 6, my PC is wired to the Honor router, which is wired to the main router for internet.

Though I am playing in areas that have near enough line of sight with the router and within 10 metres.

Is it possible to use one of these along with a bt home hub if the bt home hub is only connected to my pc via wifi? my current bt home hub is too far away from my pc to use a wired connection.

Soldato
Re air link, for those that use it can you advise, I have bought my son a Quest 2 for Christmas, in his bedroom he already has a direct gigabit ethernet connection on the PC and a TP Link EAP 225 (fast wifi5 ) access point. Is there any need to consider getting him a cable ? the intention is to run games off the PC (spec in my sig). I had read that it may be best to dedicate the 5Ghz band on the AP to the Quest only to prevent latency but the AP supports MU-MIMO so I might just keep that in the bag if I see issues. Given the hardware already in his room , any nbeed to buy a cable ?

Similiar situation here but I've found Air Link is rubbish Virtual Desktop is the better application. I was thinking about putting a router AP in his bedroom but we are already getting 866Mbps off the BT WIFI so I`m going to let him try it and see. I bought a 5m USB 3.1 cable anyway but I think it would be better to let him try it first, in my situation.

Is it possible to use one of these along with a bt home hub if the bt home hub is only connected to my pc via wifi? my current bt home hub is too far away from my pc to use a wired connection.

its possible but not advisable a cable connection between router and PC is the best option, what performance/latency you will get we cant really say. Wiring up ethernet is always possible, I did it 10 years ago and never looked back. If you carefully plan your route and get the right type of cable (eg flat for hiding round doorways and along skirting boards for instance) its always possible if you are prepared to also drill a few holes in walls! ;)

Soldato
Airlink works a treat for me, PC wired to BT Home Hub (wifi disabled) which is wired to a Unifi U6-Lite which handles all my wifi.

Whats your settings? (SS, bitrate, latency)

I'm going to test airlink today, the cable is getting on my nerves. Even just sitting down to play a racing sim, the damn things either tickling my ear or my neck.

Don't mind a slight decrease in quality so long as it's not awful.

Soldato
Whats your settings? (SS, bitrate, latency)

I'm going to test airlink today, the cable is getting on my nerves. Even just sitting down to play a racing sim, the damn things either tickling my ear or my neck.

Don't mind a slight decrease in quality so long as it's not awful.

Nothing is more annoying then the Cable while playing VR. I don't know how people who have the Quest 2 and use it wirelessly can go back to playing on another wired headset.

It's the single most immersion breaking thing about using a VR headset.

As for Airlink, you will have to test out the settings yourself. In VR, one man's amazing is another man's terrible. Especially when it comes to latency. But, if you are using the system in your signature for the Quest 2 and have a good router in the same room, then you should be able to push the values up a good bit.

Soldato
Nothing is more annoying then the Cable while playing VR. I don't know how people who have the Quest 2 and use it wirelessly can go back to playing on another wired headset.

It's the single most immersion breaking thing about using a VR headset.

As for Airlink, you will have to test out the settings yourself. In VR, one man's amazing is another man's terrible. Especially when it comes to latency. But, if you are using the system in your signature for the Quest 2 and have a good router in the same room, then you should be able to push the values up a good bit.

I'm not having a great experience so far

SS 1.2x
90hz
Tried dynamic and fixed 150mb bitrate (looks like a PS3 game)
Latency is 50ms
Performance headroom is right near the bottom so my 3080Ti is maxed out

Asus AX82 Router right next to the Quest2 with my PC connected over CAT6

Soldato

SS 1.2x
90hz
Latency is 50ms

When you say SS, where are you applying that? In Steam? The Oculus Debug tool?

What games have you tried?

Caporegime

SS 1.2x
90hz
Latency is 50ms

Admittedly, I don't play particularly graphic intensive games as I only have a 3060ti, but still better graphics than native Quest 2 games.

Soldato
When you say SS, where are you applying that? In Steam? The Oculus Debug tool?

What games have you tried?

In the oculus desktop app

I've tried two games (asseto corsa which is where I spend all my time) and aircar just as a test. Now, aircar looked stunning but I didn't check the stats or anything. I've mainly been testing things out on asseto.

Soldato
In the oculus desktop app

I've tried two games (asseto corsa which is where I spend all my time) and aircar just as a test. Now, aircar looked stunning but I didn't check the stats or anything. I've mainly been testing things out on asseto.

It shouldn't like potato graphics.

You didn't change any settings in the Oculus Debug tool?

In your router settings have you tried changing the channel bandwidth to 80 Mhz?

Soldato
It shouldn't like potato graphics.

You didn't change any settings in the Oculus Debug tool?

In your router settings have you tried changing the channel bandwidth to 80 Mhz?

Not really anything in the debug tool. I only turned on the performance HUD to see what was going on.

My quest2 won't connect to anything other than 80Mhz, I did try 160Mhz but couldn't see the network. I've just selected 80 Mhz on the router, rather than the one with them all on.

Going back and forth between the cable and wifi, things are maybe not as bad as I first though. The cable gives me a latency of 45ms so only 5ms off wifi. Whilst the performance overhead is right down between 0% and 10% there doesn't seem to be much of a difference when I ramp up the SS to 1.7x although I only tried that on the cable. The fps are still at 90 and the game plays well.

I think it's mainly down to the bitrate now. The cable is 300mb I think, whereas I had it set to 150mb over wifi. You can really tell the difference.

Soldato
Not really anything in the debug tool. I only turned on the performance HUD to see what was going on.

My quest2 won't connect to anything other than 80Mhz, I did try 160Mhz but couldn't see the network. I've just selected 80 Mhz on the router, rather than the one with them all on.

Going back and forth between the cable and wifi, things are maybe not as bad as I first though. The cable gives me a latency of 45ms so only 5ms off wifi. Whilst the performance overhead is right down between 0% and 10% there doesn't seem to be much of a difference when I ramp up the SS to 1.7x although I only tried that on the cable. The fps are still at 90 and the game plays well.

I think it's mainly down to the bitrate now. The cable is 300mb I think, whereas I had it set to 150mb over wifi. You can really tell the difference.

I think you should buy Virtual Desktop and try that. You should be able to test it for an hour and refund it if you don't find it better than airlink.

Maybe it's just the games I play, but I certainly don't notice much of a difference between Wireless and Wired VR gaming. At least nothing that would make me switch back to wired.

Soldato
I think you should buy Virtual Desktop and try that. You should be able to test it for an hour and refund it if you don't find it better than airlink.

Maybe it's just the games I play, but I certainly don't notice much of a difference between Wireless and Wired VR gaming. At least nothing that would make me switch back to wired.

Yeah, I might give VD a try. I know it uses a newer video encoder, so might look better for me.

Soldato
I think I need to start writting stuff down :D

Using the cable, I can just about manage SS1.2x at 90hz with 500mb bitrate without the fps dropping. Latency never goes past 55ms. That looks pretty damn good, the steering wheel looks perfect but buildings in the distance have a strange flickering effect. Not sure how to sort that....maybe even a 3080Ti isn't good enough. It's enjoyable though. Really pleased with the picture quality.

Just as a test, I did try 1.7x which is just :eek: amazing, but can't play the game as ASW kicks in. In fact, despite turning it off in the debug tool it kicks in on anything higher than 1.2x for me.

I think 1.3x and 1.4x works ok at 80hz but 90hz feels much nicer for me personally.

Asseto Corsa VR must be a killer for graphics cards. I've dropped the shadows and reflections right down as well.

4080Ti then :p

I'll test airlink a bit more tomorrow now I have a baseline with the cable. It's great for when I fancy having a walk around the car lol I've also come up with a solution to stop the cable hitting me all the time. Just waiting for the order to arrive.

Soldato
I think I need to start writting stuff down :D

Using the cable, I can just about manage SS1.2x at 90hz with 500mb bitrate without the fps dropping. Latency never goes past 55ms. That looks pretty damn good, the steering wheel looks perfect but buildings in the distance have a strange flickering effect. Not sure how to sort that....maybe even a 3080Ti isn't good enough. It's enjoyable though. Really pleased with the picture quality.

Just as a test, I did try 1.7x which is just :eek: amazing, but can't play the game as ASW kicks in. In fact, despite turning it off in the debug tool it kicks in on anything higher than 1.2x for me.

I think 1.3x and 1.4x works ok at 80hz but 90hz feels much nicer for me personally.

Asseto Corsa VR must be a killer for graphics cards. I've dropped the shadows and reflections right down as well.

4080Ti then :p

I'll test airlink a bit more tomorrow now I have a baseline with the cable. It's great for when I fancy having a walk around the car lol I've also come up with a solution to stop the cable hitting me all the time. Just waiting for the order to arrive.

500Mbps is too high. Oculus say that after 350 there is no visual difference. (and you know you have to set this to "0" when using Airlink?)

I am wondering what the problem is. I don't Have Assetto Corsa to test, but, with a 3080Ti you should be able to handle a much higher render resolution than 1.2x. I know it's very CPU intensive though. And it used to have a problem where it rendered the game twice, once on the monitor and again in VR, which really tanks performance.

What settings have you in Steam VR? Do you have any super sampling applied? Sometimes Steam VR uses the wrong settings and that really reduces the framerate.

Soldato
500Mbps is too high. Oculus say that after 350 there is no visual difference. (and you know you have to set this to "0" when using Airlink?)

I am wondering what the problem is. I don't Have Assetto Corsa to test, but, with a 3080Ti you should be able to handle a much higher render resolution than 1.2x. I know it's very CPU intensive though. And it used to have a problem where it rendered the game twice, once on the monitor and again in VR, which really tanks performance.

What settings have you in Steam VR? Do you have any super sampling applied? Sometimes Steam VR uses the wrong settings and that really reduces the framerate.

ah ok, the game ran really well so I just left it at 500. I'll drop it down to 350. Yep, when I use wifi I change it back to 0.

I run AC from the custom launcher which has pixel density set to 1 which I am lead to believe means it will use the oculus settings. There is a marked difference when going from 1.0 - 1.2 etc etc so it must be working.

My monitor is switched on though, and I can see the game on screen.....you don't think it is running the game twice do you? I'll try running the game with it switched off next.

Back
Top Bottom