Road Cycling

I've been looking around for fairly 'standard' rim brake wheels for my other halfs commuter. An alloy giant with poor clearances. Actually drawn a bit of a blank as don't want to spend more than 250-300 absolute max on a well known brand (was thinking I could still get a standard/basic wheelset from a known brand for 100-15 and no chance!) Even Hunt 4 Seasons are £400 these days!

I don't know how people do it who don't have a vaguely flexible schedule. The weather in the UK is so erratic 10 months of the year.
Oh for sure, I keep saying it - "without Zwift, I'd be nowhere" - the reality of that is the convenience around massive flexibility in riding, but also with things elsewhere so I can jump on. The regularity of riding the same evenings timeslots every week for 1-1.5 hours and getting a Race/TTT done is great. As without it - I would be riding far more sporadically (couple of times a month, rather than couple of times a week!) due to the longer hours needed outdoors and have a much lower fitness level...

I'm still very much in "trying to get my legs back" phase so short rides at lunch work okay. I'm sorta hoping I can get fit/fast enough to get 20k ish in an hour during lunch. That'd be perfect.
You're getting there, some good rides done already, you had such a massive base of fitness before from all the years of commuting. Very hard to get back to that level without a huge time investment - so don't even try! Find your 'new level' :)

Does everyone have the relevant tools to put a disc on to 40nm, or do you just put it on 'tight' (I only have a small torque tool for the 4 and 5nm bits)
I don't, although I've got a torque that goes to that far, but not the lockring tool which will fit it - just the long handled ratchet/wrench type. I've never had one come undone/loose. As they've got those ridges on, once you get towards 'grunt' tight I find then tend to 'sit' into a notch. I then go 2 more. Around the tightness I'd call '2 grunts'! But I have got sparrow strength arms these days! :cry:

Does anyone own or have ridden a Cervelo Soloist?

I'm in the market for a new bike and it seems to fit the criteria of being a great all-around road bike that is easy to work on. I'd appreciate any real-world experiences/thoughts.

I'd like an SL8, but the price has gone up for the 2025 version and there are not many 54 frames left at the discounted price.
Still some SL7's around some good deals on them, for very little difference (Di2 vs AXS & stick some good wheels on it they're the same bike)... I only know 1 guy locally with a Soloist, not really talked much about it but he seemed to loving it. See lots of influencer types with them, but as for 'real world' owners... Not sure where you'd find them.

I just can't get on board with the "speed sniffer on the SL8
Yeah still not a fan of the big nose...! But it's far less obvious when you're stood around it (in LBS) - looks very obvious on Andy's picture! Still love his paint...

Just couldn't get the bead to sit in the rim all the way around, i then hoped it might sort itself out and stupidly cracked on, only for sealant to squeeze out everywhere when i tried to pump up. I regularly have similar issues with these tyres when changing a tube but then getting it up near 100psi pops it into place. Not a luxury i have with tubeless as the air just escapes under the tyre before i can get any pressure up.

Will have another bash sometime. I've seen suggestions of suspending the wheel so there's no pressure from the floor so might try that. For now i'm just going to clean up and get the tube back in to ride at lunch.
Warm it - indoors. Fit it with tube at 100psi, leave it 24-48h, then taken it off, remove and immediately reinflate as tubeless. You shouldn't need sealant to mount it - actually with one that tough better it seats without.

Pumping it with the value core removed so you can get better/higher airflow. Else you're into air-tank/compressor/co2 territory to get it seated. Another trick is to 'soap' the edges - normal dish soap & water, basically to make the bead slippery when it mounts, so it more easily gets into the right place to seal. Once it's stretched and snapped in place leave it a while. It should stay seated, or at least easily go back into the same place when you deflate add your sealant through the value and pump back up.

Last edited:
once you get towards 'grunt' tight I find then tend to 'sit' into a notch. I then go 2 more. Around the tightness I'd call '2 grunts'! But I have got sparrow strength arms these days! :cry:
And this is always my problem. I generally have a bit more 'grunt' than the average person (let alone the average cyclist :p ) and this is how I break things...like my rear breaks while fitting the new wheels. (Used tool to separate pads, but apparently put too much grunt into this) Took it to my local(ish) shop who fixed it back up. Just needed bleeding I think, which I should really learn to do.

Also, today I moved the saddle forwards a little and tilted a little. Tbh, I hadn't realised the two screws that I thought just held the saddle in place, where how you adjust the angle! :cry: (If there was a dunce smiley, I would use it) Once angled back slightly, it then felt too far back, so now both adjusted.

Last edited:
No nothing, was reading about Airshock but going to try again when i get my spare wheelset from storage and don't have the worry or being without bike!

I found if I'm reseating an old tyre, i have to use co2. If it's a brand new tyre my Joe Blow has been good enough

Unrelated thread updated: House is now Sold STC. Was planning to reserve the new house today but the sales office is bloody closed. Have to wait until Monday now.

So now I feel homeless and Di2-less!

Still some SL7's around some good deals on them, for very little difference (Di2 vs AXS & stick some good wheels on it they're the same bike)... I only know 1 guy locally with a Soloist, not really talked much about it but he seemed to loving it. See lots of influencer types with them, but as for 'real world' owners... Not sure where you'd find them.
I thought seriously about the SL8 Expert as you can pick that up for under £5k in some stores. My issue with it is that I don't want Rival Axs, it is objectively heavy for a groupset. I know I could eventually replace the parts, but this is at a cost. I'm also not sold on the nose of the SL8 but I suspect it looks less prominent on smaller frames. The SL7 is a great shout but it's a lower-tier groupset and I'd have to spend money on replacement wheels. I've managed to get the Soloist for £4,700 which comes with Ultegra Di2 and Reserve Carbon wheels which are (apparently) great The only aspect of the bike that needs an upgrade is the handlebars, but this is fit-dependent. It's not worth the RRP of £6,800 (but this can be said about most bikes these days) but I'm happy with the deal.

Also, it's quite nice to have a bike that not everyone else has (I say that, but quite a few people in Cardiff ride Cervelo)

Does anyone own or have ridden a Cervelo Soloist?

I'm in the market for a new bike and it seems to fit the criteria of being a great all-around road bike that is easy to work on. I'd appreciate any real-world experiences/thoughts.

I'd like an SL8, but the price has gone up for the 2025 version and there are not many 54 frames left at the discounted price.

I'm coming from a 2017 TCR Advanced Pro (rim brake). It's been a great bike but I'm now craving, discs, di2 and wider tyres.
my mate is looking to upgrade from SL7 Sworks to SL8 and is trying to sell his frame with Darimo Seatpost.
pristine condition
send me a PM if intrested I will put you both in touch

his insta to check the bike out ;)

https://www.instagram.com/thecyclin..._web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

I’m currently riding a trek domane sl5 in a size 47, looking at getting something a bit faster and sportier next year where would you go with a 5-6k budget.

I was looking at a trek madone sl7 gen in xs, tarmac sl8 expert in a 44 or cannondale super six evo 2 in a 48.

When comparing geometry I have shorter legs so finding frames that I can stand over with both feet seem to be a challenge and always need to size down based on a manufactures recommendation based on my height of 165cm and an inseam of 70cm

Consensus is the tarmac is pretty much the best all round bike you can buy, while staying somewhat affordable. Wife has the SL7 and it’s a great bit of kit. For the 8 the have switched to the SRAM rival group set, which at least on paper is a downgrade from the ultegra on the 7. Quite what the difference in the real world is and how much you’d notice is debatable. The groupset forms a major portion of the overall price, which hasn’t reduced however.
I believe Trek still provide ultegra on the Madone. Both are great race bikes and you’ll instantly feel the performance improvements imo. I rode a madone for ten years.

I’m currently riding a trek domane sl5 in a size 47, looking at getting something a bit faster and sportier next year where would you go with a 5-6k budget.

I was looking at a trek madone sl7 gen in xs, tarmac sl8 expert in a 44 or cannondale super six evo 2 in a 48.

When comparing geometry I have shorter legs so finding frames that I can stand over with both feet seem to be a challenge and always need to size down based on a manufactures recommendation based on my height of 165cm and an inseam of 70cm
If you like Trek, stick to trek.
I would try all bikes and see which ine would suit better.
This time of the year might be good for bike purchases as people move towards indoor cycling for winter.
5-6k budgets is a decent one.
I got my supersix last year 1k cheaper on sale around this time

You got the expert?.
I have the Pro.

Is that what you mean by 'they have switched'? It was Ultegra, but now it's SRAM?

**EDIT** Oh, no it's still here - https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/tarmac-sl8-pro-ultegra-di2/p/4274935?color=5430657-4274935

Hmm, I think I quite like it in white!

Last edited:
What I meant was the older Experts were Ultegra. The SL8 is now Sram rival which technically is a downgrade in spec, without the reduction in price. Hence the similar priced Madone looks like a better buy. However not entirely convinced that the downgrade would translate to any big real world differences for us mortals.

What I meant was the older Experts were Ultegra. The SL8 is now Sram rival which technically is a downgrade in spec, without the reduction in price. Hence the similar priced Madone looks like a better buy. However not entirely convinced that the downgrade would translate to any big real world differences for us mortals.
Yes, there are brands where you pay less for name and get more for money :)

Spec is one of those you pay a lot for name.

I have to say new Madones are nice, and some colours are really good

It's all matter of personal preference...

As you say, us amateurs won't notice the difference

The SL8 is now Sram rival
You can understand my confusion, as this statement doesn't look to be correct. Should it be SL8 Expert? Is that what you're saying?

Even then, there's this SL8 Expert with Ultegra Di2?

It is available in Sram Rival, but it is cheaper, as it is a downgrade. Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid or missing something?

Last edited:
You can understand my confusion, as this statement doesn't look to be correct. Should it be SL8 Expert? Is that what you're saying?

Even then, there's this SL8 Expert with Ultegra Di2?

It is available in Sram Rival, but it is cheaper, as it is a downgrade. Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid or missing something?
Ok :)

The older Tarmac experts were all Ultegras. Partway through 2023 (I think) they switched from Ultegra to Rival on the SL7 expert. I would say all but as you've found one (even though they are labelling it as a 2025 bike) I'll say vast majority of the 2024 SL8 expert and some late 23 SL7 experts are rival. We went to a Specialized dealer at the start of this year to get the wife an SL8 but the bloke in the shop bizarrely persuaded us to look elsewhere for an early 23 SL7 Expert running Ultegra, saying exactly what I quoted. Which we did and saved nearly a grand in the process.
Maybe they have changed back for 25?

The SL8 2024 Tarmac Expert was Rival only with an RRP of £5,500. The 2025 update includes an Ultegra model for £500 more.

I believe Vandle is saying that the previous versions of the Tarmac were Ultegra spec at the Expert level.

Sorry, maybe it sounded like I was being pedantic, but I just didn't understand :cry: No problem, makes sense now, thanks.

**EDIT** To add to that confusion, mine is a 2024 SL8 (Pro) and is Ultegra Di2 :eek: :cry:

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe it sounded like I was being pedantic, but I just didn't understand :cry: No problem, makes sense now, thanks.

**EDIT** To add to that confusion, mine is a 2024 SL8 (Pro) and is Ultegra Di2 :eek: :cry:

The Pro comes with Ultegra Di2 but better wheels, a better handlebar (Roval Rapide), and a power meter.

Back
Top Bottom