• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
How much are these 3000 Ryzen chips affected by memory speed? I am so out of touch with the finer details these days.

Still relatively effective to have higher clocked RAM in 1:1 with FCLK as you also increase the speed of the Infinity Fabric. IMO, everyone should be aiming for at least 3600MHZ CL16 on Ryzen. Which you'll be able to do with the 16GB 3200MHz CL14 b-die without issue (providing motherboard isn't terrible of course).

Associate
Associate
Last night I was doing some benchmarks and after reading a Reddit post turned off CAM and iCue software. My idle voltages dropped from 1.40-1.45 to 0.8-0.9 (still went to 1.45 under load). Idle temp was down too to 35-40 as opposed to 47-53. Down about 5 degrees under load.

The other thing was my Cinebench R20 run went up 200 points just by turning off these two monitoring applications! Absolutely crazy in my eyes. The monitoring software providers really need to play catch up as they're applications are seriously hindering performance.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Associate
Last night I was doing some benchmarks and after reading a Reddit post turned off CAM and iCue software. My idle voltages dropped from 1.40-1.45 to 0.8-0.9 (still went to 1.45 under load). Idle temp was down too to 35-40 as opposed to 47-53. Down about 5 degrees under load.

The other thing was my Cinebench R20 run went up 200 points just by turning off these two monitoring applications! Absolutely crazy in my eyes. The monitoring software providers really need to play catch up as they're applications are seriously hindering performance.

When I upgrade to my 3900X I will run some benchmarks to check the results. Once I sort my Ram out

ljt

ljt

Soldato

It's been said multiple times by many people in various threads on here. These monitoring/rgb programs are the cause of high idle voltages in Ryzen. Every time the CPU receives a request from HWinfo for example, the CPU interprets this as a light load request to boost, so boosts a core or 2 to its max causing a voltage/temp spike. Robert Hollock from AMD wrote this on his reddit post and also in the pdf guide released with the newer chipset drivers. He dubbed it the "observer effect"

Associate
It's been said multiple times by many people in various threads on here. These monitoring/rgb programs are the cause of high idle voltages in Ryzen. Every time the CPU receives a request from HWinfo for example, the CPU interprets this as a light load request to boost, so boosts a core or 2 to its max causing a voltage/temp spike. Robert Hollock from AMD wrote this on his reddit post and also in the pdf guide released with the newer chipset drivers. He dubbed it the "observer effect"

Yes that's the reddit post I was talking about. Just couldn't quite believe how dramatic it actually effected the system.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yes that's the reddit post I was talking about. Just couldn't quite believe how dramatic it actually effected the system.

It's technically nothing to worry about either, because the CPU's are operating as they should, the poling is a very light load, so 1.5v isn't going to hurt the chip as there's very little current passing through when it does.

Using HWinfo as an example, which has a poling rate by default of every 2 seconds, so every 2 seconds the CPU voltage will spike to 1.4/5, which corresponds to the reading being updated on screen, means you'll see 1.5v a lot of the time, although it will sometimes catch the voltage just as it's dropping.

But if you are using multiple programs that might be poling the CPU in-between HWinfo requests will mean the CPU could be constantly boosting due to all these constant requests.

Associate
I've been offered a 3900x for a price I cannot pass up, I only game on my PC, will this be overkill paired with an MSI B450? I don't need the processor but like I said at the price I am being offered it I'll be buying it either way. I'm just not sure whether to keep it or flip it and sell it on.

Associate
I have now ordered the 8pack 3200mhz cl14 16gb kit. Hoping to get the build down over the weekend as long as the ram arrives on time :) thanks for the help everyone

Soldato
I've been offered a 3900x for a price I cannot pass up, I only game on my PC, will this be overkill paired with an MSI B450? I don't need the processor but like I said at the price I am being offered it I'll be buying it either way. I'm just not sure whether to keep it or flip it and sell it on.

It will be overkill, but it will offer you a lot of headroom to game, and run other things in the background without running into issues, and should last you a decent few years, unless things go crazy crazy in the next 5 years. :)

Associate
It will be overkill, but it will offer you a lot of headroom to game, and run other things in the background without running into issues, and should last you a decent few years, unless things go crazy crazy in the next 5 years. :)

yeah thats what i was thinking. i know i wont gain much in terms of gaming but i know the processor will last me 5yrs without a doubt.

Soldato
Well right now the average modern game is using 4 core properly, sometimes say 6, so with the next gen consoles basically being 8 core Ryzen based, it wouldn't be unbelievable to expect 8+ cores to be used by games in the next few years; then throw a few extra cores on top for system processes etc and you're happy as Larry with plenty of overhead.

Associate
Well right now the average modern game is using 4 core properly, sometimes say 6, so with the next gen consoles basically being 8 core Ryzen based, it wouldn't be unbelievable to expect 8+ cores to be used by games in the next few years; then throw a few extra cores on top for system processes etc and you're happy as Larry with plenty of overhead.

This was one of my main considerations when opting for the 3900x

Soldato
I've had my 3900X since 8/8/19 and initially it was well behaved using 1 volt with just basic stuff open like Chrome and Steam, 35c temp and 350-400MHz clock, I consider this idle and after the honeymoon period I stopped I monitoring until yesterday when I noticed at idle I was using 1.4v, 60c+ and 4-4.3GHz. I hadn't installed anything or changed anything then remembered a few days ago I had Windows update. I went to Updates to have a look and saw 1903 was there to install so did that and everything is back to how it was.

Weird..

Soldato
Has anybody else done the derBauer survey/test? What boost speeds did you get?

Mine goes to 4575Mhz
48625716898_86fce2d169_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom