• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
The temp spikes of the 3900x are a bit of a nightmare, I ended up setting the fan to a constant 70% speed up to 65C just to try and stop it from ramping up/down.
My Max boost has hit 4523MHz today.

Soldato
The temp spikes of the 3900x are a bit of a nightmare, I ended up setting the fan to a constant 70% speed up to 65C just to try and stop it from ramping up/down.
My Max boost has hit 4523MHz today.

If you use FanXpert in AISuite (*sigh*, yes I know) then you can control the fans much better. I have them flat until 80c ish, which it hasn't got to outside of heavy benching or stressing.

Associate
If you use FanXpert in AISuite (*sigh*, yes I know) then you can control the fans much better. I have them flat until 80c ish, which it hasn't got to outside of heavy benching or stressing.

This is sort of how I got round the ramp up/ramp down of the heavily fluctuating temps. Set a curve that is flat over the range 35C-65C.

Only ramps up under heavy load and when it does ramp up it stays consistent which is far less annoying that the constant up and downs.

Caporegime

FanXpert actually works really well, i use it to have all my fans monitor the CPU and sit at 0% for a silent PC at below 50c. Edit: Except the Rad fan. Of course. but even that is at inaudible low RPM at idle.

Caporegime
Has anybody else done the derBauer survey/test? What boost speeds did you get?

Mine goes to 4575Mhz
48625716898_86fce2d169_o.jpg

Very nice result that, 50Mhz higher than me.

What are your system specs, any settings related to PBO changed in the BIOS or Ryzen Master Tool? Also what cooler are you using?

4517Mhz for me was the peak frequency on two cores, using the stock Wraith Prism cooler.

TrM

TrM

Associate
FanXpert actually works really well, i use it to have all my fans monitor the CPU and sit at 0% for a silent PC at below 50c. Edit: Except the Rad fan. Of course. but even that is at inaudible low RPM at idle.

ive never been a fan of the asus ai suite for fan control asus from when i used it and i haven't even installed it on my c8h3900x pc as used to tie the fan speed to the cpu temp sensor they ahve on the motherboard And not the reported temps by the cpu package and the temps can be between 8-15 degress out depnding on the cpu and load, ive allways like asus motherboard and the hero range and have had one for quite a few gnerations now But ive allways found it strange that they use there own sensort on the mothewrboard over package temps reported by the cpu

Soldato
Very nice result that, 50Mhz higher than me.

What are your system specs, any settings related to PBO changed in the BIOS or Ryzen Master Tool? Also what cooler are you using?

4517Mhz for me was the peak frequency on two cores, using the stock Wraith Prism cooler.
This is only on a MSI B450 Tomahawk (Non MAX). Cooler is a Noctua D14. Memory is Corsair 3200Mhz C16. Everything is at stock the only thing I did in the bios was to set the memory to default 1.35v as it was only at 1.22v even when XMP was set.

Soldato

It does indeed, I don't mind FanXpert but it's just a shame that AISuite is a slow buggy POS that you have to install to use just the one decent part of it. They should really just package up FanXpert on it's own.

Soldato
It does indeed, I don't mind FanXpert but it's just a shame that AISuite is a slow buggy POS that you have to install to use just the one decent part of it. They should really just package up FanXpert on it's own.
It would be good if they did just FanXpert, I generally avoid mobo software as its caused problems in the past. I just set the CPU voltage to a negative 0.1v offset in the BIOS as it was hitting a max 1.55v, it now hits 1.43 max but mostly 1.375 and temps are a little better and my single thread cinebench r20 has gone up to 519(from 516), multi-thread has dropped a bit to 7120(from 7222). I have also updated the BIOS to 7403(from 7401) so that could have changed things.

Caporegime
This is only on a MSI B450 Tomahawk (Non MAX). Cooler is a Noctua D14. Memory is Corsair 3200Mhz C16. Everything is at stock the only thing I did in the bios was to set the memory to default 1.35v as it was only at 1.22v even when XMP was set.
I was able to get my score to 208 in CB R15 with the same max clock speed by disabling HWINFO64.

Soldato
What's the best way to check how high a single core will boost? I've tried running Prime95 with a single worker expecting it to run on the fastest core. However Ryzen Master shows that it always runs on core 10 which is the slowest core of CCD1 CCX1. That runs at about 4.15GHz. If I run with 12 workers they all run at 4.05GHz and EDC is at 100% of 140A. Haven't set any of the overclocking controls yet, everything is set to default / auto. Running on an Asus x570 TUF Gaming with 32GB (2x16) @3733 cl16.

Cinebench R15 (Single) is probably one of the best consistent ways to see how high a single core will boost.

For my 3900X I see ~4.6Ghz on 4 cores on the first CCD:

zKytkIeh.png.jpg

What I also observed was the load was only moving around that CCD - I assume this is a combination of the chipset drivers and Windows scheduler keeping such a load contained to avoid additional latency.

Note - MB is a GB X570 Pro and cooling is a Custom Loop with a single 360mm RAD for CPU and GPU.

EDIT: My score above was just based on loading Windows, running HWinfo and then running CB. Based on my multi score scaling I can get higher by killing some of the background processes and closing HWinfo.

Soldato
I've decided to try and lower the voltage on my 3900X from default ~1.49v. I'm using the Offset method in the bios and so far I've got it stable at 1.394v by using an offset of -0.0750. Over the next few days I'll be seeing how low I'll be getting it but already I've got a 10c drop in temps.

Soldato
I've decided to try and lower the voltage on my 3900X from default ~1.49v. I'm using the Offset method in the bios and so far I've got it stable at 1.394v by using an offset of -0.0750. Over the next few days I'll be seeing how low I'll be getting it but already I've got a 10c drop in temps.

Run several benchmarks when lowering the voltages in stages just to check you are not losing performance.
Zen 2 clocks change extremely quickly, and with too low voltage you can find that the average clocks end up lower and thus a drop in overall performance.

Soldato
Run several benchmarks when lowering the voltages in stages just to check you are not losing performance.
Zen 2 clocks change extremely quickly, and with too low voltage you can find that the average clocks end up lower and thus a drop in overall performance.
Thanks for the heads up. What do you have yours set at?

Soldato
Just -0.0125
If I go to -0.0250 I lose a whopping 350 points in CB20.
I dropped mine by -0.1v and did not lose much if any performance as I was getting 7100-7250 in Cinebench r20 and I just got 7168 so its not much different but my single core has gone up to 519 and temps are lower but the weather is cooler so maybe that has also helped.

Soldato
I dropped mine by -0.1v and did not lose much if any performance as I was getting 7100-7250 in Cinebench r20 and I just got 7168 so its not much different but my single core has gone up to 519 and temps are lower but the weather is cooler so maybe that has also helped.

Can you do a text dump of your BIOS settings for me?

Back
Top Bottom