Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
Upon independence it wouldn't be Britain's any longer, and as we stand it is still Scotland's oil on the whole anyway, even after the theft of 6000 square miles of Scottish North Sea to England..

Britain wouldn't be giving anything, Scotland would be reclaiming.

Who cares what britain thinks or wants in this scenario? It really isn't the issue at hand.

Election?

You mean the '79 referendum?

Yes, the 1979 referendum for devolution. The vote was won but not passed because of the turnout. If you took that as an example, just over 1m people voted for devolution in a population of 5m, it would be ludicrious to have independance if there was a similar turnout and vote.

Who cares what Britain thinks or wants? Well, I imagine the rest of Britain would! Scotland wouldnt be reclaiming oil, its not like we had an oil industry when we were a seperate entity before, the oil was found as a unified country, its naive to expect the rest of Britain to just accept its Scotlands if independance is voted for. There would be a split of the oil for some years to come if it happened.

Soldato
If we have a referendum on independence and it passes my location might not remain as Glasgow for much longer. Still a few years away from that bridge.

Permabanned
OP
Yes, the 1979 referendum for devolution. The vote was won but not passed because of the turnout. If you took that as an example, just over 1m people voted for devolution in a population of 5m, it would be ludicrious to have independance if there was a similar turnout and vote.

The only referendum to have such a stipulation, and to be honest with you mark it done Westminster, the UK and the Establishment absolulely no good in the long run.

Who cares what Britain thinks or wants? Well, I imagine the rest of Britain would!

Irrelevent.

Scotland wouldnt be reclaiming oil, its not like we had an oil industry when we were a seperate entity before

Irrelevent.

the oil was found as a unified country

Irrelevent.

its naive to expect the rest of Britain to just accept its Scotlands if independance is voted for.

Irrelevent

There is nothing Britain could really do, certainly not in the long term in that eventiallity, no.

There would be a split of the oil for some years to come if it happened.

I very much doubt it, unless England is going to share its resources with Scotland? Oh but hang on, aren't we independent of each other now?

alx

alx

Soldato
So apart from oil, Scotland is a basket case economy is it?

Given you yourself run a business, surely you must be able to open your eyes more than Scotland's only resource is oil?

If you genuinely have to ask, I'm shocked your in business so to speak.

Surely the fact that only 2.3 million of Scottish voters pay income tax is a slight concern? Or that you're due to become 3rd most state dependent country in the world in 2012.

I think that in the long term Scotland could become a properous independent country, it's the short/medium term that could be very rough.

Soldato
You’ve summed up Scottish politics very well.

And I could go into a thread about English politics and say exactly the same thing. It's very relevant for people who live and work in Scotland.

What pie?

Oil or UK spending.

It's the hidden-from-the-Scot's-for-30 years McCrone report you really want to look at ;)

UK spending. I'm not getting involved in the independence debate but just curious as it popped up in my head and I can't remember it. Pretty bad saying I did 3 years of politics at Uni...

Permabanned
OP
Surely the fact that only 2.3 million of Scottish voters pay income tax is a slight concern? Or that you're due to become 3rd most state dependent country in the world in 2012.

With a population of 5? No.

If anything state depedancy is a legacy of Westminster's economic flundering policy and lack of directed economic stimulation in Scotland.

Those tory forecasts are under dispute, at present it is no where near like it.

I think that in the long term Scotland could become a properous independent country, it's the short/medium term that could be very rough.

Absolutely.

Soldato
It depends, does that sort of claim go anywhere near the Security Council? If so then the chances of claiming could be significantly reduced.:p

Not really seeing as England isn't on the Security Council.. See the problem there for the UK if Scotland did leave? There's no UK or Great Britain anymore without the UN accepting the new England/Wales nations as a replacement.

Partly why I don't support independence.

Permabanned
OP
Not really seeing as England isn't on the Security Council.. See the problem there for the UK if Scotland did leave? There's no UK anymore.

Partly why I don't support independence.

And that is exactly why the Establishment fears that outcome so greatly.

It isn't even the 'trivial' amount of money, but the loss of presense and pretence to the UK-English state internationally.

alx

alx

Soldato
With a population of 5? No.

If anything state depedancy is a legacy of Westminster's economic flundering policy and lack of directed economic stimulation in Scotland.

Those tory forecasts are under dispute, at present it is no where near like it.

Absolutely.

But the point still stands that a large state dependancy and relatively small proportion paying income tax would be very painful for Scotland initially if they become independent. Although I guess that does depend on how the oil issue is resolved.

Does anyone know exactly how the oil tax/revenue would work if Scotland became independent? How would the UKCS be split? What about companies registered in England/Britain but extracting oil in an independent Scotland's waters?

Soldato
I voted for SNP this time around. I used to be a labour supporter, but I've lost faith in then. And there was no way the torries or Lib Dems would ever get my vote.

Soldato
It'd be interesting to see how the UK/Great Britain titles would be split, seeing as Scotland is part of both. Time for new titles? Also I wonder how it'd affect membership of the EU/UN/security council etc.

Sounds like a bit of a minefield, which hopefully we'll never have to go through.

Permabanned
OP
But the point still stands that a large state dependancy and relatively small proportion paying income tax would be very painful for Scotland initially if they become independent. Although I guess that does depend on how the oil issue is resolved.

Yes, and the point remains that if we continue to be tied to Westminster economic policy Scotland and the other UK fringes will continually be at the detriment of poor policy and lack of microeconomic control outside London.

Does anyone know exactly how the oil tax/revenue would work if Scotland became independent?

We both keep our own.

How would the UKCS be split?

Civil service?

Through negotiation.

What about companies registered in England/Britain but extracting oil in an independent Scotland's waters?

If they do not move location the corporation tax receipts would stay in that country. Oil and petroleum extraction and production duties would be Scotland's.

Permabanned
OP
It'd be interesting to see how the UK/Great Britain titles would be split, seeing as Scotland is part of both. Time for new titles? Also I wonder how it'd affect membership of the EU/UN/security council etc.

Sounds like a bit of a minefield, which hopefully we'll never have to go through.

If we don't the UK is destined to collapse in on itself with debt.

Soldato
Why not?

Assume you got your way in your constituency?

I have never in my life been a supporter of the conservatives. I believe they favour the rich and grind down the poor. And as a working class citizen, I dont believe they have my best interests at heart. I'm willing to concede I'm not an expert on politics, so thats purely a personal opinion.

And the Lib Dems got into bed with them when they SHOULD have formed a coalition with Labour, so they've soiled themselves in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom