Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
I have never in my life been a supporter of the conservatives. I believe they favour the rich and grind down the poor. And as a working class citizen, I dont believe they have my best interests at heart. I'm willing to concede I'm not an expert on politics, so thats purely a personal opinion.

And the Lib Dems got into bed with them when they SHOULD have formed a coalition with Labour, so they've soiled themselves in my eyes.

First bit is the usual nonsense that you hear people spout about something they don't understand. But at least you're relatively honest about your lack of knowledge. And you didn't mention the milk or mines. But I imagine you're not far off.

As for the second bit, the Lib Dems and Conservatives are much closer to each other in more areas than Labour. Plus, Conservatives got a greater share of the vote and therefore logic would dictate that they have a bigger mandate than Labour do to form a coalition government. I'm not sure how you can suggest that the Lib Dems should have got 'into bed' with Labour instead. Perhaps if they did, they wouldn't be experiencing such massive losses but they did the right thing at the time and if they did it again tomorrow it would still be the right thing.

Bit short sighted to suggest they'd never get your vote, no?

Permabanned
OP
I have never in my life been a supporter of the conservatives. I believe they favour the rich and grind down the poor. And as a working class citizen, I dont believe they have my best interests at heart. I'm willing to concede I'm not an expert on politics, so thats purely a personal opinion.

And the Lib Dems got into bed with them when they SHOULD have formed a coalition with Labour, so they've soiled themselves in my eyes.

Labour refused to work with anyone, a rainbow coalition could have stopped it but they couldn't bring themself to do it.

You have, yet again, Labour to thank for the Conservatives getting in down south.

Permabanned
OP
First bit is the usual nonsense that you hear people spout about something they don't understand. But at least you're relatively honest about your lack of knowledge. And you didn't mention the milk or mines. But I imagine you're not far off.

I can understand your response, but you also have to aknowledge the apparent toxcitity of Conservative legacy here though?

I can't blame people too much for having a 'misunderstanding' from your point of view, if you get me... the conservatives have failed to realign and re-brand themself and shake off their past in Scotland.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Dont think "irrelevent" would really wash with westminster somehow :p

It would if I was leading the negotiations. ;)

I actually don't think Westminster would act like such, in the event of a yes vote we are going to be neighbours for a very long time afterwards, with economic and social connections still vibrant it would be increadibly short sighted of the London establishment.

Soldato
I can understand your response, but you also have to aknowledge the apparent toxcitity of Conservative legacy here though?

I can't blame people too much for having a 'misunderstanding' from your point of view, if you get me...

I understand the 'toxicity' that the Conservatives have up here fine, but I believe it is daft, immature and short sighted and really ought to be laid to bed.
If you disagree with the Conservatives for their current policies and what they are saying they will do is fine. However to ignore them outright because of their 'legacy' is wrong.

Soldato
So apart from oil, Scotland is a basket case economy is it?

Given you yourself run a business, surely you must be able to open your eyes more than Scotland's only resource is oil?

If you genuinely have to ask, I'm shocked your in business so to speak.

Im not questioning it has no resources, im asking what he considers the chief resources are.

Permabanned
OP
I understand the 'toxicity' that the Conservatives have up here fine, but I believe it is daft, immature and short sighted and really ought to be laid to bed.

See my not so ninja edit.. that ultimately is a failure of the conservatives to convince people otherwise though?

No? How do you see the cause of the current stagnation?

If you disagree with the Conservatives for their current policies and what they are saying they will do is fine. However to ignore them outright because of their 'legacy' is wrong.

I agree, but the Conservatives need to go the extra mile to bridge this gap I feel which hasn't happened so far..

Soldato
Bit short sighted to suggest they'd never get your vote, no?

Unless the torries radically changed their manifesto I cant imagine myself voting for them in the future. And even leaving aside the whole coalition thing, when have the Lib Dems ever looked likely to win a majority? Their born to be 3rd. Waste of a vote.

Took me a minute to work out what you meant by the "milk and mines" thing. I assume you mean Thatcher closing the coal mines and taking the free milk away from school kids? I wouldnt hold back a vote over that. I dont hold a party responsible for the actions of one of its former leaders.

Permabanned
OP
Im not questioning it has no resources, im asking what he considers the chief resources are.

Scotlands resources are;

1 The people.
2 Education system.
3 Geen energy potential.
4 Land and Agriculture.
5 Fisheries.
6 Oil & gas.
7 The Cities.
8 Scenery.
9 Geography.
10 Heritage.
11 Water.
12 Sciences
13 Industries

In no particular order.

Was 'he' in reference to Alex Salmond? In that case I'm not too sure what the SNP views are on resources to be honest. Can't be that different to the above.

Soldato
Biohazard - I've only read the last two pages but I assume you want an independent Scotland and/or hate the English.

Is that correct?

Permabanned
OP
Unless the torries radically changed their manifesto I cant imagine myself voting for them in the future. And even leaving aside the whole coalition thing, when have the Lib Dems ever looked likely to win a majority? Their born to be 3rd. Waste of a vote.

Took me a minute to work out what you meant by the "milk and mines" thing. I assume you mean Thatcher closing the coal mines and taking the free milk away from school kids? I wouldnt hold back a vote over that. I dont hold a party responsible for the actions of one of its former leaders.

"Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher!"

And well that is what she done. Took the oil, and took our bairn's milk while she was at it :o (Sorry Ahleckz :o :D)

Soldato

How about the Tory policies of bringing back prescription charges at a higher level than they were before or letting children leave school at 14.

When I heard that I thought they do not want to be elected.

Soldato
Scotlands resources are;

1 The people.
2 Education system.
3 Geen energy potential.
4 Land and Agriculture.
5 Fisheries.
6 Oil & gas.
7 The Cities.
8 Scenery.
9 Geography.
10 Heritage.
11 Water.
12 Sciences
13 Industries

In no particular order.

Was 'he' in reference to Alex Salmond? In that case I'm not too sure what the SNP views are on resources to be honest. Can't be that different to the above.

He was Jas, the guy i was asking the question to.

How are those resources any different to any other country that is surrounded by water? (taking aside the oil and gas resource)

Soldato
:rolleyes:

Whatever, try reading and you might get somewhere.

It was only a question... you could have easily answered yes or no. It was difficult to tell from your posts but I wanted to know if you lent a certain way so I could correctly interprut them and not jump to conclusions.

Permabanned
OP
It was only a question... you could have easily answered yes or no. It was difficult to tell from your posts but I wanted to know if you lent a certain way so I could correctly interprut them and not jump to conclusions.

Well if you had read the thread it would be more than clear.

I want not only Scottish independence, but for the UK to break up for its own long term prospects.

I don't hate England and this Scottish Nationalism automatically equating to xenophobia is a massive pile of nonsense to what is a genuinely positive and progressive Scot's civic movement.

Back
Top Bottom