Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
If the UK was split up either England would inherit all of the UK's current international positions or we'd be kicked out of the Security council etc altogether.

Soldato
I want not only Scottish independence, but for the UK to break up for its own long term prospects.

But surely you can see that keeping the UK united means we're a bigger player in the global economy, have a bigger say military wise and can cut out duplicate, wasted admin expenditure where two people would be doing the same public sector job?

I never understood the whole demand for independence. If you want to be seen as your own country and hate everyone then fair enough I respect your opinion. It might be wrong economically but you have your reasons. However, you don't dislike the English so I'm not sure why you'd even want independence. Such a waste of money. It wouldn't help anyone.

Permabanned
OP
If the UK was split up either England would inherit all of the UK's current international positions or we'd be kicked out of the Security council etc altogether.

I think England would certainly try to hold on, I couldn't blame them either.

The union is a powerful amplifier for the country though, and its loss would be hard to estimate in those relations.

If it happened England would ultimately lose, we are likely to be elbowed aside by the emerging economies as we are anyway!!

Soldato
See my not so ninja edit.. that ultimately is a failure of the conservatives to convince people otherwise though?

No? How do you see the cause of the current stagnation?

I agree, but the Conservatives need to go the extra mile to bridge this gap I feel which hasn't happened so far..

Can they rebrand? I don't know. I think Annabel Goldie has done a great job with this campaign and has been a good figurehead of Scottish Conservatives. I think that there has been some degree of growing support for the Conservatives but any definite proof of that has been blown away by the great gains that SNP have done.
It's very hard to change peoples mind about something if it's been so engrained in their psyche like the hatred and distrust of the Conservatives is. The only way it could be done would for them to prove it in power and that's not going to happen.
I do believe that had the SNP not done so well the Conservative vote wouldn't have gone down significantly. And, as the incumbent Westminster party that is a good thing as you always expect a decline in their vote.
I'm sure someone more qualified than me will say something along these lines in the press in the coming days.

Permabanned
OP
But surely you can see that keeping the UK united means we're a bigger player in the global economy, have a bigger say military wise and can cut out duplicate, wasted admin expenditure where two people would be doing the same public sector job?

If that could have happened, it should have.

Unfortunately the UK is broken, poor and debt ridden and a mere shadow of its former self.

I never understood the whole demand for independence. If you want to be seen as your own country and hate everyone then fair enough I respect your opinion.

Scottish Nationalism is really nothing like English or the hi-jacked BNP style British Nationalism.

It isn't borne from hate.

It might be wrong economically but you have your reasons. However, you don't dislike the English so I'm not sure why you'd even want independence. Such a waste of money. It wouldn't help anyone.

The UK is in debt and if we stay as we are the UK will sink; with all of us aboard.

Soldato

I never understood the whole demand for independence. If you want to be seen as your own country and hate everyone then fair enough I respect your opinion. It might be wrong economically but you have your reasons. However, you don't dislike the English so I'm not sure why you'd even want independence. Such a waste of money. It wouldn't help anyone.

The whole thing about Scotland being independant, we would have no need to be involved in military debates as we would effectively be Swizerland.

England wont let go of Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales without a huge fight anyway, how many lives have been lost over Ireland in the past 100 years? Thats the main worry, if we were independant we could well end up in as much of a mess as Ireland or Iceland is.

Permabanned
OP
The whole thing about Scotland being independant, we would have no need to be involved in military debates as we would effectively be Swizerland.

A nice comparison, I also think Scotland would become a financial powerhouse of Europe ;) :p

Given how peaceful Scotland is in this regards, I think retracting from global conflict would suit Scotland fine.

England wont let go of Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales without a huge fight anyway, how many lives have been lost over Ireland in the past 100 years? Thats the main worry, if we were independant we could well end up in as much of a mess as Ireland or Iceland is.

Ireland - not in the slightest, why after complete seperation would Scottish people start bombing the English? :confused:

Iceland - it was mooted as an example of small independent states, not so much as a direct mirror. I would point to the Scandinavian countries for true comparisons...

Soldato
If that could have happened, it should have.

Unfortunately the UK is broken, poor and debt ridden and a mere shadow of its former self.

What would the difference be if Scotland were independent? Would all of the countries suddenly flourish?

Scottish Nationalism is really nothing like English or the hi-jacked BNP style British Nationalism.

It isn't borne from hate.

Not really true. Theres a huge section of Scottish Nationalists that is borne from hate.

The UK is in debt and if we stay as we are the UK will sink; with all of us aboard.

So, just let England sink on its own basically?

Soldato
How about the Tory policies of bringing back prescription charges at a higher level than they were before or letting children leave school at 14.

When I heard that I thought they do not want to be elected.

Yes, allowing people to move onto vocational training schemes instead of staying at school where they will ultimately come out with nothing is a daft idea? Of course it isn't. Some people are better suited to vocational jobs and they should be permitted to go ahead and pursue them instead of being forced through academia where they won't excel and ultimately suffer themselves and also negatively effect other students.

That's what the Labour policy of forcing people to stay in school until 18 would do. Harm many.

Prescription fees is an interesting one and is something blown out of the water. I'm on long term medication and if I had to pay for each item I'd be spending £45 a month. I always bought a prescription prepayment card which drastically reduced it. This is available for all and the majority of people who would have to pay a lot because of an increase would save massively by getting one.
A modest increase in prices won't result in people unable to afford their medication or anything like that.
That being said, I'm glad the fee has been scrapped entirely but if it came back it wouldn't bother me. It certainly isn't a vote changing policy.

Soldato
Scotlands resources are;

1 The people.
2 Education system.
3 Geen energy potential.
4 Land and Agriculture.
5 Fisheries.
6 Oil & gas.
7 The Cities.
8 Scenery.
9 Geography.
10 Heritage.
11 Water.
12 Sciences
13 Industries

In no particular order.

Was 'he' in reference to Alex Salmond? In that case I'm not too sure what the SNP views are on resources to be honest. Can't be that different to the above.
Always good to point out. That oil and gas isnt actually Scotlands, but Shetlands. Shetland have also been told that they are free to go their own way if independance happens.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/malachy-tallack/2007/04/shetland-scotland-independence

http://www.udallaw.com/

Scotland in oil stealing shock! :D

Just info, not actually trying to have an arguement with you.

Last edited:
Soldato

Evocative statement with no basis. Come on, you're better than that.

Always good to point out. That oil and gas isnt actually Scotlands, but Shetlands. Shetland have also been told that they are free to go their own way if independance happens.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/malachy-tallack/2007/04/shetland-scotland-independence

Scotland in oil stealing shock! :D

Just info, not actually trying to have an arguement with you.

We've discussed this before, and iirc it's basically a lot of nonsense with no basis in law. It's outdated information which occasionally gets tramped out now and then but quickly goes back into the cupboard when it remembers it isn't actually accurate. I'm sure if you searched "shetland denmark oil" or something like that you'd find the thread.

Permabanned
OP
What would the difference be if Scotland were independent? Would all of the countries suddenly flourish?

I know it sounds a bit wild, but yes.

Without the UK overheads, Scotland would at least to start with.

Depending on how England dealt with the collapse of not just the empire but the Union also, they could pull back up. English debt is just as bad as Scottish debt, and the reason we both have debt is the 'UK'.

Not really true. Theres a huge section of Scottish Nationalists that is borne from hate.

Yes really, and that is unquantifiable nonsense and you know it.

So has Scotland overnight had a landslide movement to HATRED?

Really?

So, just let England sink on its own basically?

If it didn't sort itself out it would have an effect on the other nations, so no.

I wouldn't want to see my neighbours struggle?

It's a shame that those neighbours themself don't really care about anyone else however. But the intent is true and honest, not xenophobic.

Soldato

The debt won't just go away if we get split up. We'd have two people doing the same job which one person can do. That's inefficient and produces more spending on public sector, a net remover from the economy.

Then there's the currency, would you use the Euro? Even Germany wants to get out of the Euro. If you use the pound England would set the rates as normal.

If Scotland stopped spending so much money on public services then you'd pay off the debt quicker.

Associate

The UK would still exist, it would just be smaller. Serbia didn't stop being Serbia when Kosovo gained its independence.

We'd just be the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Permabanned
OP
Evocative statement with no basis. Come on, you're better than that.

It isn't meant to be evocative, it is a genuine statement.

It has basis, I've covered it many times so have thousands of others.

The UK decline as been on going for nearly 60 years, if not longer.

It failed to deal with the decline when it should; and in trying to deny and hide it they indebted us for generations.

Last edited:
Associate
First of all, thank you Scottish Parliament for allowing a dirty foreigner to vote in the elections! :p
My vote would have gone to the Pirate Party if they had actually had a manifesto that said more than "No to Copyright" but I ended up voting SNP all the way. I do not believe in the Tories ability to run the country and the Lib Dems have lost their spine since the election. Am quite surprised in the SNP really, when I arrived in Scotland back in 2005 SNP was nowhere near as big as they are now.

Permabanned
OP
The debt won't just go away if we get split up.

No but we could position ourself to get rid of it.

We'd have two people doing the same job which one person can do. That's inefficient and produces more spending on public sector, a net remover from the economy.

Which the UK suffers already from greatly?

I'm not seeing much benefit at the present for the status quo..

Then there's the currency, would you use the Euro? Even Germany wants to get out of the Euro. If you use the pound England would set the rates as normal.

Scottish pound pegged to English.

If Scotland stopped spending so much money on public services then you'd pay off the debt quicker.

It doesn't work like that, Scotland has no debt to pay for as we are.

The UK does.

Back
Top Bottom