Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
It's a moot point, as it isn't going to happen. But surely you can see the benefit of allowing young people another alternative to pure academia or nothing?

If it was a system like the German model that has the main driver, the welfare of the young person.To do such a scheme properly costs a lot of cash up front. The benefits to the country come later.

The UK models have other motives, usually getting youth unemployment figures down with no benefit to the young.

Soldato
The SNP are a terrible, terrible group of people, led by someone who is a public speaker, so is a master of words but no subsistence backed by a poor degree. Every one of my professors and myself despise their energy policy. How they can build coal and gas power stations instead of nuclear - against all expert advice - is beyond me. The only reason I can think of is that it gets votes, which is selfish and pathetic. They would rather pursue gimmick policies like free prescriptions, which might save people some money, but will be offset by a massive rise in energy prices.

Their handling of the edinburgh trams has wasted millions and they are now looking at a new bridge costing billions, I know personally that the construction industry are rubbing their hands at the prospect of ripping off the public again.

Just like any political party. :p Atleast they stuck to 90% of their proposed manifesto.

That was an Edinburgh City project was it not?

It was an Edinburgh Council decision as far as I'm aware.

Associate
Their handling of the edinburgh trams has wasted millions and they are now looking at a new bridge costing billions, I know personally that the construction industry are rubbing their hands at the prospect of ripping off the public again.

A bridge costing billions?! Are you sure? The Burj Dubai only cost about £1 billion

Soldato
Copied what you said to one of the Pirate Party candidates who I'm friends with. If he responds, I shall pop it up in here.

"Got about 1400 in both regions, 0.3%. Well our manifesto wont say that, we are not "no to copyright", because want reform. Copyright and patents should only be for commercial rights and for a limited period."

Associate
Oh god, not "The Barnett Formula" argument.

It might be interesting to know that NI get a greater percentage per head than Scotland and Wales is very close behind (circa £500) ALL of which are still much more than England get.

England £7,121
Scotland £8,623
Wales £8,139
Northern Ireland £9,385

** 2007 figures - £/head of population

I realise the figures are a bit old but I couldnt find more recent figures.

Now I don't think it's right that England get far less than the other countries but I also think it unfair that, out of all the countries above, its Scotland that is always at the receiving end of this argument when, quite clearly, it receives far less than others.

Why is there no Wales or NI bashing when someone mentions the Barnett Formula given their position is almost equal or, in NI's case, even worse?

I don't understand why it is fair that England get less per person than other countries? Especially as they are most likely contributing the most...

Soldato
SNP TAKE THE MAJORITY!

Kirkcaldy announces, SNP takes it. That's it, 65 seats. SNP now hold the majority government in the Scottish Parliament.
This was Gordon Browns Westminster seat, you'd think it would be a safe one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand why it is fair that England get less per person than other countries? Especially as they are most likely contributing the most...

because were english were expected to bend over and take it so much so that no one even grumbles about it anymore...

Permabanned
OP
SNP GET A MAJORITY IN SCOTLAND!

Woohoo, sorry guys I'm not interested in this thread anymore I'm away off out to party catch you all later. :D

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Explain why they are likely contributing the most?

We are contributing the most, that's why other parts of the uk get more per head.

As an englishman, I believe it is right that scotland, wales and n ireland should get more per head. It is just simple redistribution of income according to need - as we have in our tax system. Obviously england is the richest part of the uk (mainly due to london) so it is no surprise that we give in more than we get out.

I prefer being part of a union but if scotland want to leave then we'll probably be better off and they'll probably be worse off so it doesn't bother me. :)

Back
Top Bottom