Scottish Elections Result

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Don't treat it with rationale, it isn't worth it.

Just smile, or laugh... it doesn't matter.

It is a shame really as the subject of independance could be a fascinating one without all the BS that gets spouted.

English opinion doesn't actually matter, and I think some of them absolutely hate that fact.

I would only partially agree with you here. Certainly English opinion does not matter as far as the question of independance goes, it does however matter quite a bit when it comes to what the settlement would look like.

Permabanned
OP
It is a shame really as the subject of independance could be a fascinating one without all the BS that gets spouted.

Over the coming weeks I'll try (and I know I've said this before) to present two arguments in SC;

The economic case for Scottish Independence.

and

The continued decline of the UK state.

Keep your eyes peeled.

I would only partially agree with you here. Certainly English opinion does not matter as far as the question of independance goes, it does however matter quite a bit when it comes to what the settlement would look like.

Actually, that is a really interesting interjection.

Technically once entered into negotiations, there is no consultation or vote for either electorate.

The elected representatives do it all on our behalf.

Associate
I have to say, i'm technically scottish, but i think i will move to england, but any scottish persons i meet i will meet them with some pretty strong hate.

Don
I think we are both arguing the same point; Scotland has done particularly well under the minority SNP administration in spite of the difficulties they have faced. I suspect this is mainly due to their fresh and open dialogue with business. The argument being made by the quote was in relation to those sceptics that suggest Scotland could not run its own affairs and is pro corporation tax inclusion for the devolved parliament.
I was thinking that as well :p

And I think this also goes back to the currency question, particularly as regards the likes of the Euro. Being able to set your own interest rate is a must for a small nation like Scotland, as part of the UK it's acceptable as we're largely in sync with the other parts, but if we were part of the Euro it would be more luck as to whether the ECB rate was appropriate for Scotland.

Don
ofcourse not because the 70bn bailout of the scotish banks was our parting gift init :rolleyes:
I've already had this discussion with Dolph, the value of the bailed out banks is largely equal to the public investment.

The UK government will almost certainly profit from the re-privatisation of them and the fees from the protection scheme. The bank bailout was one of the few things Pa Broon did a good job of.

Associate
Excellent. The world can do with more mindless hating purely based on a person's nationality.

They have giving it for so long, they can't expect a good welcome in any other country, and i am actualy as scottish as you can get, but i can not accept prejudice of any kind. I will be on the front lines.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Actually, that is a really interesting interjection.

Technically once entered into negotiations, there is no consultation or vote for either electorate.

The elected representatives do it all on our behalf.

Yeah, but those elected representatives will want to be re-elected so they are very much behoven to fight their corner or at least be able to pretend they did! It would be interesting to see the dynamics to be honest as to who would hold the most bargaining power.

Permabanned
OP
I was thinking that as well :p

And I think this also goes back to the currency question, particularly as regards the likes of the Euro. Being able to set your own interest rate is a must for a small nation like Scotland, as part of the UK it's acceptable as we're largely in sync with the other parts, but if we were part of the Euro it would be more luck as to whether the ECB rate was appropriate for Scotland.

SAFTEY NET SAFTEY NET :rolleyes: :D

Permabanned
OP
Yeah, but those elected representatives will want to be re-elected so they are very much behoven to fight their corner or at least be able to pretend they did! It would be interesting to see the dynamics to be honest as to who would hold the most bargaining power.

I'm not trying to sound too brutal and I know I'm repeating myself, but once in motion neither government has to consult anyone and they will not seek unique validation for one such undertaking either.

It shouldn't be about trying to twist a good deal, I would hope that common sense would prevail and we would do things as equally as possible on as many fronts as possible.

Westminster holds more bargaining power by default, but with a referendum behind the SG it would bring itself some moral parity.

Not total parity however, but this is where I hope we would agree on a genuine equal settlement that would benefit the post union economic co-operation and market interactions.

With so many claims back and forth and apparent 'bitterness' towards the Establishment and it's 'apathy' in return, I would like to think we could all finally grow up and part on equal and friendly terms.

Permabanned
OP
The bank bailout was one of the few things Pa Broon did a good job of.

How hard is it to dither and then run to the markets cap in hand, to then give back to the markets in our name though?

Gordon Broon was a ****.

The taxpayer will profit if the tories will stop coming out with silly proposals.

Associate
ofcourse not because the 70bn bailout of the scotish banks was our parting gift init

I've already had this discussion with Dolph, the value of the bailed out banks is largely equal to the public investment.

The UK government will almost certainly profit from the re-privatisation of them and the fees from the protection scheme. The bank bailout was one of the few things Pa Broon did a good job of.

I have seen this argument crop up on more than one occasion in these forums and have been reluctant to enter the discussion but I feel I have to point out the straw man within. The so called ‘Scottish’ banks at the time of the world’s financial collapse were not owned by Scotland. Therefore the straw man argument also throws up the non-sequitur inclusion of ‘Scottish’ as the name is the only reference point.

------

Associate
I just don't know, i do know that us scottish can be greedy and prejudice beyond belief(beyond any other country in the world) so maybe being independant will quelch that for a while but i can't see scotland ever reaching the morality of england, scots base almost everyting on status, if we don't have the status then life doesn't mean anything. We will die with status or without anyway, i see us scots as poor men, unable to take any kind of responsibility, akin to a third world country really, how that came to be with all the great people that have taught us will burden me to the end. But it does worry me that the greed and gloatinness of the snp are aking over, if you ever thought that the scots we're humble and god fearing then think again, they seem to be power hungry and ignorant to dangers of the snp. Am i really suprised?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I'm not trying to sound too brutal and I know I'm repeating myself, but once in motion neither government has to consult anyone and they will not seek unique validation for one such undertaking either.

I fully understand that, however they would still then have to answer to their electorate at the next election. So if either side is seen to "lose" in the negotiations then it could cost them quite heavily in terms of votes.

It shouldn't be about trying to twist a good deal, I would hope that common sense would prevail and we would do things as equally as possible on as many fronts as possible.

Westminster holds more bargaining power by default, but with a referendum behind the SG it would bring itself some moral parity.

Not total parity however, but this is where I hope we would agree on a genuine equal settlement that would benefit the post union economic co-operation and market interactions.

With so many claims back and forth and apparent 'bitterness' towards the Establishment and it's 'apathy' in return, I would like to think we could all finally grow up and part on equal and friendly terms.

I agree, I too would like to see a fair settlement if independance were to happen, however after seeing some of the views in this thread I do dispair of the British voter on occassion!

Soldato
....Take a while to watch it, may be of interest to some..

That's a great watch.

In summary. Scottish Oil & Gas funded unemployment for the whole of the UK for years!

Scotland produces more oil than Kuwait

Shetland with a population of 22k has a budget surplus of £500m

Any talk of reserves running out is purely to lower the estimated taxation of which we are the highest in europe! There is at least 40years of reserves of the current surveyed fields left and that is only a fraction of what is out there.

And most shockingly of all...Richard Hawkings brother is a fat Canadian. :eek:

So....it's in the rest of the UK's interest for Scotland not to become independant!

Man of Honour

I'm not just talking about the bank bailout, but the share of the overall national debt acculumated over the years since the UK was formed....

Back
Top Bottom