SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Yes, to be honest i think the squad we have can still grind out the title. Coinsistency is the key. i do admit the next old firm game could be a vital decider.

But yeah "top International goal-scorer" thats all on paper, forgetting bellamy and flo in passed seasons?

Put it this way, I'd rather have Robbie Keane at Celtic than anywhere else. He's not going to single-handedly deliver the league title but he'll not hurt our chances.

Soldato
He's the kind of player Celtic needed to save Mowbray's job and it's good to see the board backing the new manager instead of the way some fans have been reacting. Kamara should be a good signing as well if he can regain the level of fitness required after his injuries. I guess they reacted quickly after Samaras' recent performances and I wonder if he was told to find a new club since he looked so lazy in his last game?

A good transfer window for Celtic overall though so we'll see if the new team can produce results straight away or take time to gell. Was funny though seeing Jim Whites face on SSN last night too, he looked as if he was raging at the news.

Associate
that something may just have arrived in the shape of a top International goal-scorer.

Then again, maybe not ;)

McDonald should never have been punted to accomodate a stagnant player like Keane who has failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.

I`ve watched it for years Jock. Loan players` loyalties lie elsewhere. When the chips are down, they have an escape clause in that they can return to their own clubs. A safety cushion which is far too convenient.

Neither OF side should bring in loan players as they very very rarely work. Steve Davis aside, i cannot think of a successful loan spell which either Rangers or Celtic benefitted from.

Neither should entertain loans and Mowbray should be sacked for letting McDonald go. An absolutely insane decision.

Soldato
I see it as effectively 11 points clear as i just cannot see them claw back a +21 GD.

Good point, Lets just see what the first old firm game as to offer, could be 16 points clear if all goes well :p

So all these loan players for celtic, and if they go back during the summer its back to square 1 for celtic, i dont like the ideal of loaning out players tbh.

Associate
The idea of loan players is that they supplement established players not replace them.

Mowbray will have a lot to answer for if it all goes **** up and Celtic have to start again building a team with little money.

Associate
Good point, Lets just see what the first old firm game as to offer, could be 16 points clear if all goes well :p

So all these loan players for celtic, and if they go back during the summer its back to square 1 for celtic, i dont like the ideal of loaning out players tbh.

Well, loaning your own players out can only really be a good thing. If they do well, you can demand a fee or bring them back fit and sharp.

If they are not good enough, it is highlighted all the more.

Look at Webster, motm in almost every game for Utd and one of their favourties yet we take him back at the end of the season fit and raring to go at UTD`s expense.

For a year they`ll have paid him, nursed him back to fitness for what?.

Seen it too often over the years. A club would be better off bringing a youngster through and taking a gamble on him rather than hiring a player from someone else.

Soldato
Well, loaning your own players out can only really be a good thing. If they do well, you can demand a fee or bring them back fit and sharp.

If they are not good enough, it is highlighted all the more.

Look at Webster, motm in almost every game for Utd and one of their favourties yet we take him back at the end of the season fit and raring to go at UTD`s expense.

For a year they`ll have paid him, nursed him back to fitness for what?.

Seen it too often over the years. A club would be better off bringing a youngster through and taking a gamble on him rather than hiring a player from someone else.

I couldnt agree more, but i was on about brining in a tonne of loan players :p Not letting them out. :D

Associate
Robbie Keane has now returned to the Spurs squad as he was only on loan until the end of Celtic's season.

Ten points and twenty goals.

Associate
OP
Then again, maybe not ;)

McDonald should never have been punted to accomodate a stagnant player like Keane who has failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.

I`ve watched it for years Jock. Loan players` loyalties lie elsewhere. When the chips are down, they have an escape clause in that they can return to their own clubs. A safety cushion which is far too convenient.

Neither OF side should bring in loan players as they very very rarely work. Steve Davis aside, i cannot think of a successful loan spell which either Rangers or Celtic benefitted from.

Neither should entertain loans and Mowbray should be sacked for letting McDonald go. An absolutely insane decision.

You couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid.

McDonald obviously wasn't punted to make room for Keane, he was clearly ear-marked for the off long before the Keane deal came about. Also, you're going to have to explain how you came to the conclusion that Keane is 'stagnant' and 'failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.', unless of course it's a cheeky troll.

The squad inherited by Mowbray was littered with average SPL quality players. This is the squad, remember, that capitulated against a ****-poor Rangers team last season and has thus far been unable to match them this.

So, the team clearly needed surgery, McDonald was one of the more saleable assets (behind McGeady and Boruc) so he had to go. He was apparently a bad influence in the team and was obviously deemed more trouble than he was worth.

We had two out of three loan players on the park last night, I'm not sure how they've left us any worse off than we were before they arrived?

I've no less confidence in our post-window squad than I did in the pre-window one. Unfortunately it now looks like we've run out of games to make a real fist of it.

Associate
OP
But they havent improvent the team have they?
Still missing chance after chance infront of goal.
What is it £65k a week for keane? You avin a laff, done no better that samaras or mcdonald tbh.

The team has improved, if not results. I'm not going to write off Keane and Kamara after one game because they clearly have the talent to score goals in Scotland. If anything was to blame for last night it was Mowbray's tactics, or lack thereof.

Also, the £65k thing. Lawwell has already said that Celtic are only paying a portion of that.

Associate
You couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid.

McDonald obviously wasn't punted to make room for Keane, he was clearly ear-marked for the off long before the Keane deal came about. Also, you're going to have to explain how you came to the conclusion that Keane is 'stagnant' and 'failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.', unless of course it's a cheeky troll.

The squad inherited by Mowbray was littered with average SPL quality players. This is the squad, remember, that capitulated against a ****-poor Rangers team last season and has thus far been unable to match them this.

So, the team clearly needed surgery, McDonald was one of the more saleable assets (behind McGeady and Boruc) so he had to go. He was apparently a bad influence in the team and was obviously deemed more trouble than he was worth.

We had two out of three loan players on the park last night, I'm not sure how they've left us any worse off than we were before they arrived?

I've no less confidence in our post-window squad than I did in the pre-window one. Unfortunately it now looks like we've run out of games to make a real fist of it.

The majority of fans on the Liverpool and Tottenham supporters sites agree. Go read them and you`ll see what i mean.

Tottenham are also pushing for a top 4 finish so surely if Keane was an important player for them, he wouldn`t be given away to the SPL for the run in?. I`m not saying he is a bad player. He is a decent player, but at the moment he is very stagnant and off form and it wasn`t very bright to lose your top goal scorer to make room for him for 4 months.

The squad inherited by Mowbray had a load of medals and qualified for the last 16 CL twice. Getting rid of your top scorer is a big mistake. Bad influence my arse. Also, Boruc is getting found out week and week for what he is, a very avergae player at best. The other Polish keeper you have is better.

If you don`t understand what i mean about loan players, you soon will. They are useless 99 times out of 100. Rarely does anything good ever come out of it from the team hiring the player.

Steven Davis apart, name me some successful loan signings top clubs have made?.

And finally, no i`m not trolling, just giving an opinion.

Associate
The team has improved, if not results.

Surely results are the benchmark of a team improving or otherwise.

I`m delighted Mogga is replacing dependable, reliable players with on loan mercenaries who don`t really care.

Also, the £65k thing. Lawwell has already said that Celtic are only paying a portion of that.

9/10 th`s is still a fraction. :D

Mowbray is out his depth. Like PLG and Barnes were and has clearly lost the plot by flogging his top scorer.

Associate
OP
The majority of fans on the Liverpool and Tottenham supporters sites agree. Go read them and you`ll see what i mean.

Tottenham are also pushing for a top 4 finish so surely if Keane was an important player for them, he wouldn`t be given away to the SPL for the run in?. I`m not saying he is a bad player. He is a decent player, but at the moment he is very stagnant and off form and it wasn`t very bright to lose your top goal scorer to make room for him for 4 months.

The squad inherited by Mowbray had a load of medals and qualified for the last 16 CL twice. Getting rid of your top scorer is a big mistake. Bad influence my arse. Also, Boruc is getting found out week and week for what he is, a very avergae player at best. The other Polish keeper you have is better.

If you don`t understand what i mean about loan players, you soon will. They are useless 99 times out of 100. Rarely does anything good ever come out of it from the team hiring the player.

Steven Davis apart, name me some successful loan signings top clubs have made?.

And finally, no i`m not trolling, just giving an opinion.

I've no interest in going to find out what the majority of Liverpool and Spurs fans say. Maybe you could link me seeing as you've obviously taken the time to research?

The numbers suggest that he was a success at Wolves, Coventry, Leeds and Spurs, not to mention with Ireland. He was unlucky at Inter and yes, he failed at Liverpool. He seems to be in just the type of situation where a loan move revitalises a player.

What makes you think we got rid of McDonald to make room for Keane? The chronology of events seems to make this unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom