SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I`m not so sure mate. If he was really top drawer, he wouldn`t be in the SPL. Theres a post on FF and Rangers Media from a PSG fan who basically told it like it is with regards to Rothen.

I`m not overly excited tbh, a 31 year old who looks to have lost his way a little.

Time will tell i`m sure and he`ll need to raise his game to get in to this side as we are playing exceptionally well atm.

Never been a fan of loan signings either. Apart from Steve Davis, i don`t really think they work.

He'll start the game against Motherwell, guarenteed, plus I wouldnt say we're playing exceptionally well, infact I think we are playing fairly terrible but getting very good results.

It was a serious Yawnfest on Saturday against Hamilton, we only looked good in flashes in that game.

The pundits on TalkSport were all rounding up who signed who etc and one of the guys, cant remember the name, said that Rangers had made the best coup on deadline day as they had signed a top quality player.

I do agree with that, I wouldnt suggest he has lost his way either, a fall out with the new coach etc etc and he gets a move.

What he brings is a technically sound ability and will provide us with a set peice threat that has been sorely missing in our team for YEARS now and has been a massive weakness to us. I really think this could be a great signing for us and I think I'll be proven right here ;)

Associate
OP
Should we hide the international stuff in here to?

World Cup qualifier: Scotland v Macedonia
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow Date: Saturday, 5 September KO: 1500 BST
Coverage: Live on SKY Sports, BBC Radio Scotland the BBC Sport website, highlights on Sportscene on BBC One Scotland at 2315 BST

Goalkeepers: Gordon (Sunderland), N Alexander (Rangers), Marshall (Cardiff), Langfield (Aberdeen)

Defenders: Barr (Falkirk), McManus (Celtic), Berra (Wolves), G Caldwell (Celtic), Davidson (Preston), Hutton (Tottenham), McAllister (Bristol City), Whittaker (Rangers), Weir (Rangers); G Alexander (Burnley)

Midfielders: Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), D Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Bristol City)

Forwards: McFadden (Birmingham), Maloney (Celtic); Clarkson (Bristol City), S Fletcher (Burnley), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers), O'Connor (Birmingham)

I just can't see a starting XI in there that gives me any confidence.

Soldato
I just can't see a starting XI in there that gives me any confidence.

Same here but this is the team I would play anyways on Saturday.

-----------Gordon------------

Hutton Weir Berra Whittaker

Maloney Brown Fletcher McFadden

--------Miller Fletcher--------

I wouldn't play McManus since he hasnt played all season apart from some reserve games but thats it. Then again I'm unsure as to whether Berra has actually played much part in Wolves season so far, but one of those two.

Soldato
Alexander out with knock may be fit for wednesday but tbh I think it could already be over by then. Not like we were gonna get 3 points fromthe dutch neway.

Nor

Nor

Associate

I wouldn't play McManus since he hasnt played all season apart from some reserve games but thats it. Then again I'm unsure as to whether Berra has actually played much part in Wolves season so far, but one of those two.

Seems like the best lineup. I wouldn't play McManus either, not least because he's a bombscare at the best of times. It's a pity Boyd made himself unavailable, reckon Saturday might have been a good game for him.

Associate
OP

That's pretty much the line up I was thinking of; I think the midfield is lacking something, Barry Ferguson probably. I'd be tempted to drop Maloney for Hartley and stick Fletcher on the right but I don't think Hartley is up to it any more. Miller and S. Fletcher up front is certainly something I'd like to see.

Burley is on a hiding to nothing anyway, we're not going to qualify and he's going to be out of a job one way or another.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Burley is on a hiding to nothing anyway, we're not going to qualify and he's going to be out of a job one way or another.

Aye, as Mav said above as well, think it's a foregone conclusion what's gonna happen. Think we've all lost a bit of interest in the national team in the last decade because of our regular miserable failure.

Soldato
Holland have the chance to gain their most points ever in qualification with beating us. Maximum points I think they will take it fairly seriously.

We have no direction under Burley he has dragged us back to the Volgts years undoing all the good work Smith and McLeish had done.

Soldato
So the team is....

__________Gordon____________

Hutton_Weir_McManus_Davidson

_________Alexander___________

_____Fletcher____Brown_______

Miller_____Fletcher___McFadden

Hmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

Do we REALLY need a holding midfielder against Macedonia? I really wouldn't have thought so....I honestly think Burley has missed the trick here with his line up for tomorrow as no doubt Miller and McFadden/Fletcher will be forced wide to supply a middle front man.

4-4-2 with two really attacking wingers and wing backs would have been enough for me tomorrow. I'm sure this team can do it but I have to question the inclusion of Alexander.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Holland have the chance to gain their most points ever in qualification with beating us. Maximum points I think they will take it fairly seriously.

We have no direction under Burley he has dragged us back to the Volgts years undoing all the good work Smith and McLeish had done.

If Burley had done as 'well' as Smith, he'd have chucked it half way through this qualification group.

I am no great fan of Burley, but he has been undermined from the start of his tenure. The media didn't want him, some players treated him with contempt, and other players refused to play for him. We have played some good football in this campaign, and if it wasn't for a crazy miss that wouldn't happen again if the guy tried, and Caldwell being an idiot then we'd likely be in a very different position right now.

We are unlikely to qualify, and if we don't Burley will no doubt be hounded out and we'll get someone in that the media want, probably Souness.

Man of Honour
I am generally a fan of Burley - I rather suspect if he hadn't had the slight falling out with Romanov he'd have won the league for Hearts, sadly that's something I'll never know. However I'd agree I don't think he's been fairly treated here either, some of the play has been poor(er) but some is just plain unlucky and you really can't legislate for a miss like Iwelumo's - that was just special in every sense of the word barring the good one.

Also, please no to Souness, I'm not sure I could take that.

Associate
I am generally a fan of Burley - I rather suspect if he hadn't had the slight falling out with Romanov he'd have won the league for Hearts, sadly that's something I'll never know.

Also, please no to Souness, I'm not sure I could take that.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with all of your post, but those 2 statements standout.

There is no doubt in my mind that Burley would have won you the spl that season.

Also there is no doubt he has never been given a fair crack by the press. Consider also the fact that there are some players who are confident, consistently good performers for their clubs but seem to fade away shockingly when pulling on the Scotland jersey. I'm looking at YOU Darren Fletcher

And as for Souness, nah, I dont think I could stomach the guy either however I dont doubt he could probably do a job for us.

Associate
We are unlikely to qualify, and if we don't Burley will no doubt be hounded out and we'll get someone in that the media want, probably Souness
when we dont qualify he will have to go , players not playing well under him ,whos fault is that ? theres seems to be no other option ?

Soldato
There is no doubt in my mind that Burley would have won you the spl that season.

I have to disagree. I doubt he would have won the league as Romanov weould have stuck his oar in as he has done throughout his time as owner of Hearts.

I feel sorry for Burley but any manager who tells his footballers(note they aint the brightest bunch) to go for a drink after one match and 3 days b4 another is not a modern Manager as far as I'm concerned unless he sat with them and told them when to stop but he didnt so I lost respect for him and ALL the players involved not just the 2 who were hounded out.

Associate
OP
Looks like we're going to line up like so:

Code:
           Gordon           

Hutton Weir McManus Whittaker 
           Hartley 

Naismith Brown Fletcher Maloney
           Miller

mon_then.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.