Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
following the Hollywood recipe of "exploring the crew" rather than exploring space.
I think that's a valid criticism of Strange New Worlds, to some extent I think this is a problem faced by a lot of prequels - with the writers wondering what new there is to add - and the answer is often greater character development, of both existing and new characters. This is often something that fans will be satisfied with, because familiar is comforting.

It's not treading on new ground like 60s Star Trek did- although it's worth pointing out that some of the ideas had to be watered down for the US TV audience, such as making Spock relatively human (but increasingly superior in most ways as the series progresses). And the premise itself, which basically was meant to be a space western (a bold central character exploring new frontiers, with lot's of action, battles and fighting) and gradually over time it became more about exploring space, and learning about alien cultures. The crew itself is also largely human, because the idea of a diverse crew and 'Starfleet' was something that emerged over time. Kirk doesn't really mention who the governing authority is, except to say (if I recall correctly) that it's earth based.

I often got the sense that Dr Bones was the author reminding the viewer that they don't have to think like Kirk, and be combative, rather than viewing things though a more moral lense.

The original Star Trek was influenced by earlier shows like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's a valid criticism of Strange New Worlds, to some extent I think this is a problem faced by a lot of prequels - with the writers wondering what new there is to add - and the answer is often greater character development, of both existing and new characters. This is often something that fans will be satisfied with, because familiar is comforting.

It's not treading on new ground like 60s Star Trek did- although it's worth pointing out that some of the ideas had to be watered down for the US TV audience, such as making Spock relatively human (but increasingly superior in most ways as the series progresses). And the premise itself, which basically was meant to be a space western (a bold central character exploring new frontiers, with lot's of action, battles and fighting) and gradually over time it became more about exploring space, and learning about alien cultures. The crew itself is also largely human, because the idea of a diverse crew and 'Starfleet' was something that emerged over time. Kirk doesn't really mention who the governing authority is, except to say (if I recall correctly) that it's earth based.

I often got the sense that Dr Bones was the author reminding the viewer that they don't have to think like Kirk, and be combative, rather than viewing things though a more moral lense.

The original Star Trek was influenced by earlier shows like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

The Hollywood writers fall in to this trap all the time. They don't think that exploration is a valid topic for any series.

Associate
Very disappointed with the singing episode. Going too far imo.
Also, generally disappointed that we are once again following the Hollywood recipe of "exploring the crew" rather than exploring space.
Totally agree with your take on the signing episode. So far i’d been impressed so far with all episodes, but this episode was,,,,painful

Soldato
Looks like the track 'Keeping Secrets' sung by #1 was cut short, the album version is longer. The TV version is not improved by being clipped imo.

I didn't really get what 'Connect to your Truth' was about, except to say it's the sort of song I'd expect in a musical, kind of light hearted and pointless, before a heavier song. It's sang in an affected way that sounds like it's meant to mimic the style of some other musicals.

Maybe 'don't be a dick' would be better advice to Kirk :D

Speaking of Jim Kirk, is he really the same dude that was in TOS, maybe they will just rewrite trek at this point

Last edited:
Soldato
Turns out a 'Paradigm shift' is not so easy to do:

200px-Duck-Rabbit_illusion.jpg

Shouldn't these songs have warnings on them or something :p

Soldato
Kirk is the same character as ToS but we are still years away from the point we know him from. So still has a way to go before he becomes that person.
I think the writers may just do their own thing with it now, especially if the first few series do well. Time travel pretty much gives them license to change whatever they like, if they think it makes for a better story (even if this has become a massively overused story telling device).

If this allows them to keep the show feeling fresh, and they generally still stick to the basic trek episodic format, I have no issue with that.

My guess for what might happen is that the Dr. will eventually admit what happened with the Klingon ambassador, due to his creeping sense of guilt, assuming that he did intend to kill him. Or this might be a bait and switch type of story, I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I disliked it. I guess kind of bold because it makes viewers confront things that seem abhorrent.

Another morally questionable episode of trek, I guess in a similar way Janeway orders a person's death in Voyager, I assume for what she believes is the greater good, but going against the holographic Doc's advice. Same basic premise, are there ever situations where murder (sanctioned or not) is justifiable?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the writers of the Subspace Rapsody soundtrack followed a format, there's 2 'sad' piano songs on there, which I liked, but maybe not the rest although I think Uhura's song is sung very well and the musical arrangement is appealing, particularly the trumpet sections.

Maybe my taste in music is boring than I thought :), but not the kind of thing I would usually listen to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a great episode, reminded me little of The Orville episodes where they casually murder people and everything returns to normal with no consequences. Not a particularly believable episode either... and casts doubt on the character of two of the main officers.

Oh I watched it. Then I watched episode 10. While I was watching it and started to realise that I could see in to the future. I was predicting events before they happened. Then, sadly, I realised I was watching episode 10 season 1. So disappointed. :(

Associate
Yeah I disliked it. I guess kind of bold because it makes viewers confront things that seem abhorrent.

Another morally questionable episode of trek, I guess in a similar way that Janeway orders a person's death in Voyager, I guess for what she believes is the greater good, but going against the holographic Doc's advice. Same basic premise, are there ever situations where murder (sanctioned or not) is justifiable?

It depends on the context, using the example of Tuvix it made makes sense, Captains will often have to make decisions like this for the ship and crew. But this was just cold blooded murder with no moral justification. Also doesn't reflect greatly on Pike who should be very suspicious of what happened, but seems to just accept their version of events.

Don't they have visual surveillance of medical? You would have thought so, you would think key areas would be monitored, it's kind of important and not really believable if they're not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom