** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think so as well. We are running low on numbers with only Balo, Tevez, Aguero and Dzeko. I mean heaven forbid Dzeko got injured our season could be all over.

Definitely worth having a look at Gomez or someone in Jan.

Might as well eh??...i mean its only money isnt it??. All this spending and if you still dont win the EPL or some other major trophy then really ill be asking WTF lol.

Personally Biz...Mancini aint the man that will win you those trophies...i hear the Moaning one could be out of a job soon;)...things arent going so well for him down at Real Madrid these days:p

Soldato
Might as well eh??...i mean its only money isnt it??. All this spending and if you still dont win the EPL or some other major trophy then really ill be asking WTF lol.

Personally Biz...Mancini aint the man that will win you those trophies...i hear the Moaning one could be out of a job soon;)...things arent going so well for him down at Real Madrid these days:p
Spending has stopped now i think. That final splurge on Aguero and Nasri was it i think. I cant see Khaldoon signing off anymore deals with all the new training facilities etc to pay for and also all the youngsters coming through.

Well i think everyone not a City fan will be asking the same thing. I am not fussed if we dont win the Prem this season because i still believe that Mancini needs time to build this squad into a team more. We haven't won by 2013 or got at least to the semis of the CL every year if not winning it and that is catastrophic for the plan set out by Khaldoon.

Well everyone says that but i think that he is, maybe it is because we won the FA Cup so as far as City fans are concerned he is Jesus reborn :D. I really like his charisma and what he is doing with the team.

Mourinho i cant see at City.

Soldato
Except when 2 (or 3 if you count Evans' occasional forray to FB) are regularly used as Full Back's - ie doubling their chances for injury and not being available for central positions when needed :D:(

(I agree with you, I just wish we didnt use two of our most promising young players in unfamiliar positions so......recklessly , sometimes) :D

Jones and Smalling have hardly struggled at RB though have they, both of them have excelled in that position in every game they've played. It would hurt their development a lot more not playing them at all rather then playing them but in their so called weaker position.

Besides there's plenty of time for the pair to sit around on the sidelines when Vidic is back (hopefully Rio as well).

Soldato
Jones and Smalling have hardly struggled at RB though have they, both of them have excelled in that position in every game they've played. It would hurt their development a lot more not playing them at all rather then playing them but in their so called weaker position.

Besides there's plenty of time for the pair to sit around on the sidelines when Vidic is back (hopefully Rio as well).

Not disputing at all they have both been excellent at RB, I just hope they dont become more versatile in general at the expense of losing potential "mastery" of CB as it were

With those two around, we definitely miss Vidic more than Rio imo (and considering his on-going health issues, Im never confident Utd getting 30+ games out of him any more)

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely needs more midfielders. At least 6. Or... how about defenders who can also play as midfielders. I call them midfenders, or defielders.

madbro.jpg

Caporegime
Its funny, I personally think Smalling and Jones have been excellent, Evans, his usual retarded self(though not bad for spells in most of his appearances, he's no Djourou/Squillaci), and Evra has made huge errors in big games.

The funny stat is

* David de Gea has made 28 saves in five games - already 35% of Van der Sar's total of 81 last season.
* Every visiting team to Old Trafford this season (Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea) has had at least 20 shots: only two teams managed this in the previous five seasons.

De Gea making more saves than any other keeper and in 5 games, or 13% of games 35% of the saves VDS had to make. Also Utd despite those two in particular being so good, have given those three in particular a huge number of chances when previously that rarely if ever happened.

Now in part, Chelsea have a guy who is doing what Fergie/Mancini is doing, trying to not move away from your attacking game in tough games, this is definately at least part to do with Utd, and City also looking less secure defensively as they both attack a lot more than last year.

But this is the trade off, concede more chances, and ultimately score more goals, the idea being to increasing scoring more than the extra goals you let in and thats working for Utd very well.

ITs just odd that two guys can come in and be so good, yet have the defence be that much worse.

I also think thats why Rafael/Fabio are being used less, ultra attacking fullbacks help teams balance playing 3 worse central midfielders who get forwards less, when you drop those for quality attacking midfielders and an extra striker, having more solid defenders is more important than ultra attacking fullbacks.... though again strangely Smalling and Jones have been excellent getting forwards :p

If Utd/Chelsea/City maintain their ultra attacking ambitions (and Chelsea improve a lot) then it will be a very interesting year with a bunch of absolute demolition jobs like the Arsenal one.

Defensively, as I was saying last year a City line up of Richards, Kompany, Toure, and lescott at left back(if they want) could be a truly epically huge and strong back 4. Utd can now do Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Evra, and if they wanted to and Rio was fit, I see no reason Smalling or Jones(who have been getting forward excellently, very good passing, dribbling, even crossing) couldn't slot in at left back giving you Jones, Rio, Vidic, Smalling for an equally insanely strong back four.

Last edited:
Soldato
The shots on goal stat I guarantee is down to the lack of Ferdinand (and maybe Vidic) it's no surprise that when Rio came back in against Bolton they didn't have a sniff of a chance against us

Smalling, Jones and Evans have all done very well so far this season but their failure to organise those in front of them and obviously their inexperience has been key to why we've conceded so many chances against us (must say Evans more than the other two)

Caporegime
The shots on goal stat I guarantee is down to the lack of Ferdinand (and maybe Vidic) it's no surprise that when Rio came back in against Bolton they didn't have a sniff of a chance against us

Smalling, Jones and Evans have all done very well so far this season but their failure to organise those in front of them and obviously their inexperience has been key to why we've conceded so many chances against us (must say Evans more than the other two)

I'm not so sure, it might be part of it, new players will take time to get every single last thing right, but realistically with one DM on the pitch that person needs to do that job better and I think Anderson loses posession easily, as seen against Chelsea.

But Rio and Vidic would simply give away more chances with a midfield 4 rather than a midfield 5, with the league more attacking, with teams deciding to come to Old Trafford and attack rather than sit back, and with Utd also attacking rather than slow, steady controlled posession. I mean how has it worked out, 3 wins out of 3 despite conceding more shots(and goals?) than normal. If Cleverley becomes your main long term Scholes replacement running the offence from midfield, then you really do need a long term ultra high quality DM, which Anderson/Carrick/Fletcher arent' close to capable of.

One question would be, if Rio gets fitter, and Vidic doesn't miss games, could Utd start Jones as a DM, to be honest I've only heard he can play there rather than seen if he's actually good there, I can't see him being worse than your current options and realistically Jones/Smalling deserve starts even with Rio/Vidic back. Something tells me Rio won't ever get back to full fitness so it might not be an issue.

Caporegime
Anderson keeps possession far better than Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes. They all lost the ball a lot in dangerous positions. Besides he isn't our defensive midfielder, when he's with Cleverley it's shared fairly evenly but the other times he's played with Carrick and Fletcher who have both been the deeper one.

Caporegime
Anderson keeps possession far better than Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes. They all lost the ball a lot in dangerous positions. Besides he isn't our defensive midfielder, when he's with Cleverley it's shared fairly evenly but the other times he's played with Carrick and Fletcher who have both been the deeper one.

YEs I know, he's better than Carrick and Fletcher, that doesn't make him good, just the same way when I can say Song is much better than Denilson....... thats still not a compliment.

Although, saying he keeps posession better than Scholes is utter, utter madness, especially right after what was a pretty abysmal performance against Chelsea. Sure Scholes at the very end of his career, lacking fitness and rarely first team didn't look great. Scholes at the same age as Anderson makes Anderson look pretty damn awful.

The problem is, Carrick is just like Anderson, with a real DM in the team both would be considered an attacking player, neither should ever be the DM, and thats not a bad thing, should Henry play DM, no. Anderson is probably the best of a bunch of not very good choices, a "proper" DM would be a heck of a lot more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom