The Acer ONE Thread

Caporegime
Had no end of trouble with this tonight.

Tried to install XP, got the blue screen telling me to check the hard drive for errors before it even started installing.

Tried to install Vista, it said Windows couldn't be installed on this hard drive as it had to be NTFS format. So I attempted to format the hard drive and it came up with an error, so couldn't do that either.

Finally I gave up and reverted to Linux, only to find that the system locked up completely every time I switched on the system. Ran the Recovery DVD and reinstalled, now it's working fine again.

I was considering TinyXP or TinyVista as an alternative, but am I likely to run into similar problems if I try either of these? Any advice or assistance would be very much appreciated.

I haven't tried XP but I installed Windows 7 with zero problems.

Associate
I haven't tried XP but I installed Windows 7 with zero problems.

What was the installation process? Downloaded and just installed from there, or did you install from a CD? I'm guessing you've upgraded the RAM? I'm concerned about the set-up process given that I haven't managed to install either XP or Vista so far.

Read a few things about drivers for the AAO causing problems for the wireless connection on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What was the installation process? Downloaded and just installed from there, or did you install from a CD? I'm guessing you've upgraded the RAM? I'm concerned about the set-up process given that I haven't managed to install either XP or Vista so far.

Read a few things about drivers for the AAO causing problems for the wireless connection on Windows 7.

I used the Xbox HD-DVD and installed it on a DVD.

it was easy peasy, once you select a partition to install into, it does everything, you don't need to even touch it until it ask you for a user name and set up a password.

it runs ok on 512 ram, not snappy but its usable.

Associate
Had exactly the same problem - turned out it was my external USB DVD writer. Switched to the Xbox HDDVD and it installed fine.

It doesn't matter now, anyway. I've given it to my girlfriend and got myself a shiny new NC10. Delighted with it.

:D

Associate
picked up one of these for £150 from a well known supermarket on friday
i have installed winxp sp3 on it via xbox 360 hd dvd drive and installation was a breeze (though i had to make sure i also burned a dvd with drivers! lol)
i have ordered an extra gig of sodimm ram that will be installed as soon as it arrives
i am thinking of modding a touchscreen as well - will see how brave i feel after adding ram :D

Soldato
if you take it around this is what you got to expect with glossy devices, you have to touch it :D "constantly" cleaning gadgets doesn't appeal to me, once in a blue moon is more then enough. I recommend you either get a lint-free/microfibre cloth or you simply live a bit more messier life.

Associate
Thinking about picking up one of the SSD ones in the next couple of months. Any one tried Ubuntu?

I have the 8GB SSD version with Ubuntu 8.10 installed, it needed a bit of tweaking such as the wireless drivers but it runs quite well (think I need to increase the ram but it's generally very smooth).

I didn't bother with the modifications for the netbook remix, removing one of the bars is a must however.

Associate
Just bought the 120(really 160) linux veesion from the supermarket. The fan sounds very loud to me, I had expected it to be virtually silent. Is this normal and can I do anything or should I panic?

thanks

Same model as me (except I installed Win7 beta on it). Think the fan on mine has come on once when I ran up World of Warcraft. Other than that its pretty quiet.

Associate
installed an extra gig of ram the other day to give 1.5gb
was quite daunting but turned out to be fairly straightforward
would recommend people do this themselves if they have ever built there own pc as its not that difficult just a little fiddly :)

Soldato
installed an extra gig of ram the other day to give 1.5gb
was quite daunting but turned out to be fairly straightforward
would recommend people do this themselves if they have ever built there own pc as its not that difficult just a little fiddly :)

Im feeling lazy at the moment but exactly what RAM goes into this? I shall be receiving it tomorrow and want to install some RAM next week, so need to order. Also do some manufacturers RAM work better / are more compatible than others?....Thanks.

Soldato
Could someone do me a favour and fire up memtest 86+ for me.

I have been memtesting my system to make sure it's all ok as I use it for business so cannot afford to have it unstable.

I note the line "Settings: RAM: 221MHz (DDR443) / CAS 4-4-4-12 / Single Channel (64 bits)"

Now, obviously the memory is meant to be at 266mhz, DDR533. Any idea why it's out?

CPU speed reads 1596mhz in the top right corner and FSB = 133mhz.

Thanks for your time guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom