The Acer ONE Thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
8GB SSD here. EWF?

It diverts all HDD writes to RAM. It makes XP very responsive and snappy, the only downside is you have to run a command to commit all writes to the SSD before shut down otherwise they never get written.

It's simple enough though, just open a command prompt and type: ewfmgr c: -commit

This will commit all HDD writes to the SSD at the next shut down. I have created a desktop shortcut with that command which I click before shutting down. (I generally use Hibernate instead of shut-down anyway).

XP is pretty damn slow on the 8gb SSD model unless you install the EWF driver from XP embedded. With EWF installed and 1.5gb ram XP runs very nicely indeed. I have 1.5gb and XP (with EWF) on my SSD model and it flies :cool:

EWF Installation tool

Soldato
(Sorry should have searched :p)

Ahh. Don't think I can get my mum to remember to click a shortcut every time she shutdown.

Looking at gOS and Ubuntu Netbook Remix at the moment.

Associate
Tobes, the ubuntu netbook remix does n't support the wifi as standard, but can be modified.

I tried it, and also http://www.linux4one.it/ , it's an italian modification of the ubuntu remix which fixes some of the problems.

I did n't like the look and feel of the standard linpus installation and have settled on the linux4one on my 8GB ssd system.

cheers

Martin

Soldato
OK been doing some reading. Please tell me this isn't true.

Apparently the Acer ONE wont boot/install from a 1gb USB stick. Is this the case?

Associate
OK been doing some reading. Please tell me this isn't true.

Apparently the Acer ONE wont boot/install from a 1gb USB stick. Is this the case?

I don't know about a 1 Gb USB, but it works fine with my 4 Gb stick.

edit to add: The linux4one is 922 Mbyte, so should fit on a 1 Gb stick

Last edited:
Associate
Returned my 8gb model today (too many dead pixels) got a full refund no fuss. Got my brother to get me one from the supermarket for £25 less than I'd paid, and as it turns out they'd put the 120gb models down to £150 so got one of them :) picking it up from him on Sunday on my way back to uni.

Soldato
Any idea how I can tell which webcam is in mine? There are two drivers, one set are SUNIN and one brand Lite On, on the Acer driver website. I don't know which to install?

Soldato
I joined the AAO brotherhood this evening. Unfortunately its in the UK and I'm in Spain :eek: Got my Dad to pop into the local supermarket and pick up the 120gig Linux version for £150. Just need to sort out a courier to get it out here. Does the wifi work with Linux Mint?

Associate
Got mine yesterday for £150. Advertised as 120gb but it's actually 160gb, not that I'm complaining.

One question, though. Is it straightforward to install XP via an external optical drive (Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive)? I've read a few reports on the Internet with a lot of people getting the BSOD when installing Windows. Does it have to be a particular version of XP?

Also, how well would it run Vista with 1.5gb RAM? Would it invalidate the warranty if I upgraded the memory?

Associate
Does your version of XP have either of the Service Packs integrated?

I think I remember reading that you should have at least SP2 integrated. If the disk you are using doesn't then use nlite and make a new XP disk (you can also remove stuff you don't want from the install too).

Associate
Got mine yesterday for £150. Advertised as 120gb but it's actually 160gb, not that I'm complaining.

One question, though. Is it straightforward to install XP via an external optical drive (Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive)? I've read a few reports on the Internet with a lot of people getting the BSOD when installing Windows. Does it have to be a particular version of XP?

Also, how well would it run Vista with 1.5gb RAM? Would it invalidate the warranty if I upgraded the memory?

£150 you say? I'm not so sure that the Samsung NC10 is twice as nice for twice the price considering I probably wont use a netbook that much. Enough for one to be handy now and again, but perhaps not enough to justify £300 on such a device.

Hmmmm

Associate
Just tried to install XP using an external optical drive (Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive) and I'm getting a 'General Protection Error' every time I boot from the CD, meaning it's impossible for me to install the OS.

Any ideas of how to get around this? I've searched everything I can find on the Internet, and I can't find anything helpful.

Associate
Had no end of trouble with this tonight.

Tried to install XP, got the blue screen telling me to check the hard drive for errors before it even started installing.

Tried to install Vista, it said Windows couldn't be installed on this hard drive as it had to be NTFS format. So I attempted to format the hard drive and it came up with an error, so couldn't do that either.

Finally I gave up and reverted to Linux, only to find that the system locked up completely every time I switched on the system. Ran the Recovery DVD and reinstalled, now it's working fine again.

I was considering TinyXP or TinyVista as an alternative, but am I likely to run into similar problems if I try either of these? Any advice or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom