• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Played tonight for a couple of hours with no problems, crashes or anything.

Any stealth fixes or server side patches gone on Matt?

There was a server patch i think yesterday, or the day before, forget now. Not had any crashes with the game for a while though.

Ever since BF4 was announced it seems that people have wanted it to fail on NVidia hardware. I am still laughing at the "you need 3gb to run the game" as my GTX 690s are still able to run it @1600p maxed out without any problems.:D

Having said that though as far as the game crashing goes, I can see the problems getting much worse with the game and the AMD cards being very badly hit.

Being something totally new, when Mantle arrives it could bring with it more bugs than a Kremlin bathroom.

You must have a special 690 or two Kaap because for the first time i tried BF4 on full Ultra @1440p on a single 690 at a friends and it suffered quite serve low fps drops at times. The weird thing was it seemed to play ok for a while, then it hit.:eek:

Dat 2gb of memory. :o

Also good to see another BF4 review popping up. The throttling 7990 (losing about 5-10%+ performance) still 35% ahead of a 780TI at 1440p and around £100-£200 cheaper. :cool:

96% scaling on the 7990. (without throttling likely 100% or close to it) 80% scaling on the 690.

the impact of stepping up to this resolution is immediately noticeable, as cards that were previously averaging close 60fps are now closer to 30fps. In fact, the only card here that can hit 60fps now is the HD 7990, which again scales excellently at 96 percent faster than the R9 280X. Given that it's currently just £400, it looks like a fairly good value high end card here considering how many more expensive cards it beats.

The GTX 690, on the other hand, has about 80 percent scaling over the GTX 680, and is easily surpassed by AMD's dual-GPU effort. If you want to play BF4 at this resolution with all the eye candy, a multi-GPU arrangement is clearly a must in order to achieve 60fps. As before, the ultra preset also sees Nvidia cards suffering a bit on the minimum framerates, especially at the top end, where both R9 290-series cards lead the way by this metric.

oVxaBJZ.jpg

Source
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/4

Last edited:
There was a server patch i think yesterday, or the day before, forget now. Not had any crashes with the game for a while though.

You must have a special 690 or two Kaap because for the first time i tried BF4 on full Ultra @1440p on a single 690 at a friends and it suffered quite serve low fps drops at times. The weird thing was it seemed to play ok for a while, then it hit.:eek:

Also good to see another BF4 review popping up. The throttling 7990 (losing about 5-10%+ performance) still 35% ahead of a 780TI at 1440p and around £100-£200 cheaper. :cool:

96% scaling on the 7990. (without throttling likely 100% or close to it) 80% scaling on the 690.

oVxaBJZ.jpg

Source
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/4

SsOg7RF.jpg.png

I only crash if I alt tab or run Fraps. Alt tab doesn't always crash and it never used to but there's a lot higher chance now.

You messed about with the page file Rusty?

What happened when it hit Matt? Did your friend disable Aero?

I don't know if he had or not. I don't normally have to worry about such things. Fps just dropped low and got stuttery. Then it was ok, then it happened again later. This was after playing for a while. Turning AA off helped a lot. The 7990 provides a much nicer gameplay experience imo though on this game.

Hi Matt what do you do with the page file? Thanks.

If you have 8gb of ram, leave it on auto. Failing to do so will causes crashes and out of memory errors when you alt tab. If you have 16gb you can shrink it. I'm currently using 1024-2048mb without issue. I found using just 1024 still gave me crashes after alt tabbing.

Ok great thank you.

Also how is your new card compared to the Xfire 7950's, I get the feeling you like it :)
I'm not on AMD but I'm getting quite excited about the up and coming MANTEL :)

Ok great thank you.

Also how is your new card compared to the Xfire 7950's, I get the feeling you like it :)

Ok great thank you.

I feel like shooting myself for saying it but the stock 7990 provides a faster and smoother experience than my 7950's at 1100/1500. Not to mention the 7950's were like a jet engine almost at that speed where as the 7990 is silent, apart from a bit of coil whine. :D

I do wonder if having it on a single x16 pci-e slot makes any difference as opposed to two different cards on a x8 slot each. Probably doesn't make any major difference i suppose.

Last edited:
I feel like shooting myself for saying it but the stock 7990 provides a faster and smooth experience than my 7950's at 1100/1500. Not to mention the 7950's were like a jet engine almost at that speed where as the 7990 is silent, apart from a bit of coil whine. :D

I do wonder if having it on a single x16 pci-e slot makes any difference as opposed to two different cards on a x8 slot each. Probably doesn't make any major difference i suppose.

Placebo effect :D

Difference in frames will be minimal overall between 7950 CF and 7990.

New toy makes it all the more sweeter though. I had to be careful of that when comparing 680s vs 7950s.

Well what a bargain that card is :-0 if you stand still on Parcel Storm I can shoot you if you wish ;)

Paracel Storm mate :p.

oVxaBJZ.jpg

Source

Holy smoke the 7970GE has min fps 5 behind a 780ti and only 1fps behind a vanilla 780. That seems pretty crazy given that the HD series is 2 years old. I wonder if that 7970 was clocked at 1Ghz (being that it was a GE card?).

Is this because of new drivers?

Back
Top Bottom