• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Worth a post, BF4.

Windows 8.1 offering better frame times than Windows 7.

Mantle
The new and upcoming Mantle API may throw a wrench into the situation and shake things up. If simply moving to a new OS, based on the same DX API, improves performance like we saw today, our hopes are very high on what a new API could do in comparison to DirectX. We are very excited about finding out this December. The fact though that we got as much as 6% performance advantage on the same API, just by upgrading the OS, gives us a lot of hope for Mantle and the completely different API that it is.

The Bottom Line
We think we have nailed all aspects of Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 in BF4. There is a performance advantage, but it is small. A lot of people were right that Windows 8.1 is faster than Windows 7 in BF4. However, it isn’t massively faster. It certainly isn’t fast enough to actually change real-world gameplay settings. The performance advantage, even at its highest of 6%, wasn’t enough to change the gameplay settings or make it look better under Windows 8.1

What we found more interesting was that the GeForce GTX 780 had the highest advantage under Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7 compared to the R9 290X. This is good news for NVIDIA GPU owners. This will narrow the performance with the competition, simply by upgrading the OS for this game. Thankfully we ran our Battlefield 4 Video Card Performance and IQ Review under Windows 8.1 so that performance is reflected. However, if you read other reviews or articles out there, and these are testing this game on Windows 7 you will find that Radeon R9 series to have a wider performance win compared to the NVIDIA GPU series. Under Windows 8.1, the performance will be narrower in this game.

A lot of people were right that BF4 is faster, and performs smoother in Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7. A lot of people were wrong that it was a large difference, or changed the gameplay quality settings. It gives a small boost in framerates, it helps the minimum FPS (the most advantageous to hardcore gamers), and it provides a smoother experience. We will continue to use Windows 8.1 as our operating system for GPU reviews as it does allow our video cards to shine a bit brighter.

Source
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...ows_7_vs_81_performance_review/5#.UpiJg8RdXMs

I think a lot of the confusion came about with the beta. Before they released the fix early on, Windows 7 performance was dreadful. I couldn't even get an average 60FPS with three Titans under Windows 7.

God damn it, I want to make the jump but just don't have the download speed to justify it. Mind you, I do have everything except the OS on a different drive, so could be worth me making the jump and not to painful on updates....

Maybe I will hang out for 8.1 to mature a little longer.

I think a lot of the confusion came about with the beta. Before they released the fix early on, Windows 7 performance was dreadful. I couldn't even get an average 60FPS with three Titans under Windows 7.

The performance boost comes from Windows 8 using DX11.1 witch has better CPU performance in return helps the GPU get its work on.
Windows 7 is DX11 only so wont show the same boost in frame rate has Windows 8.

On the BF4 beta my two cards struggled to keep frame rate above 70/80fps, when I moved back to Windows 8 my frame rate was 90/100fps most of the time. also my Min's fps was much higher.

...That's the beta. This isn't :)

Are they benching the Single player though? BF4 Single player isn't CPU demanding has the 64 play online.

Was referring to the general lack of 11.1 support on Windows 7, not just BF

I never tried it on W7 during the beta, but my friends say it was unplayable it was that bad. The final version for W7 was a bit more polished i think but still not as good as 8.1.

Last edited:
That my friend is called the placebo effect.

No it wasn't I tested it, you really think I wanted to switch to Windows 8 from 7??

I benched my own system and seen the difference before making the Switch for good.

You think I really like Windows 8? But the truth of the matter is Windows 8 is much better than Windows 7 with Battlefield 4.

/End

No it wasn't I tested it, you really think I wanted to switch to Windows 8 from 7??

I benched my own system and seen the difference before making the Switch for good.

You think I really like Windows 8? But the truth of the matter is Windows 8 is much better than Windows 7 with Battlefield 4.

/End

Much isn't 5% but sure if you want to justify Win 8 to yourself by saying it is then I'm not going to argue with you about that.

Where's your results of BF4 live FPS then on Win 7 / 8?

Beta I agree with, Win 7 was dog until they patched it late on. I also swapped to Win 8 in the beta period and the difference was night and day back then. I didn't need an FPS counter to perceive the improved smoothness.

You have to remember Rusty HardOCP only just did their test after god knows how many server patches and at least two client patches (that i know of). Shankly could well be spot on at the time of testing.

Back
Top Bottom