• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Just had a spectator session and it does seem that performance is a little better after the patch.
On another note, this 7990 (both of them actually) seem to be pretty good samples too, as I'm seeing only 2°C difference between cores and there's no coil whine except for a tiny bit of 'rasping crickets' on a couple of benchmarks.

Though I'll have to wait until tomorrow (hopefully) to see how an i7 compares with minimum fps etc, I have to say that this 2500K is doing itself proud.
For BF4 at least, it's not exactly crippling a 7990 from what I'm seeing. Sure, it's not the optimal choice...

I think Crysis 3 may be a sterner judge of the cpu.

Last edited:
Just had a spectator session and it does seem that performance is a little better after the patch.
On another note, this 7990 (both of them actually) seem to be pretty good samples too, as I'm seeing only 2°C difference between cores and there's no coil whine except for a tiny bit of 'rasping crickets' on a couple of benchmarks.

Though I'll have to wait until tomorrow (hopefully) to see how an i7 compares with minimum fps etc, I have to say that this 2500K is doing itself proud.
For BF4 at least, it's not exactly crippling a 7990 from what I'm seeing. Sure, it's not the optimal choice...

7990 seal of approval.

lWtUTNq.jpg

Remember you're on W8 so better cpu performance Petey.

EDIT

My coil whine has disappeared now.

True, but I'm basing that on what I've seen over the last couple of days on win8 :)

Pre-patch, it could drop to mid/late 40's in the area around the tower (collapsed or not) on Shanghai and now it's maybe mid 50's at worst.
General fps/performance seems to be higher. How are you finding it?

Don't get me wrong about the cpu. I'm not saying an i5 is all you need with this or two separate cards by any means. It's just that it's doing pretty damn well.
Of course I still expect the i7 to bring up the minimums amongst other things.

On yet another note, my Valley scores are crap... Cba to figure out why at the moment though :D

True, but I'm basing that on what I've seen over the last couple of days on win8 :)

Pre-patch, it could drop to late 40's in the area around the tower (collapsed or not) on Shanghai and now it's maybe mid 50's at worst.
General fps/performance seems to be higher. How are you finding it?

Don't get me wrong about the cpu. I'm not saying an i5 is all you need with this or two separate cards by any means. It's just that it's doing pretty damn well.
Of course I still expect the i7 to bring up the minimums amongst other things.

On yet another note, my Valley scores are crap... Cba to figure out why at the moment though :D

To be honest i expect once mantle arrives the need for an i7 in BF4 will decrease somewhat. Actually mind holding off upgrading until after mantle so you can test it? Cheers, much appreciated.

Unigine benchmarks suck on W8, i have a hard time with them as well.

Ah well, as long as the upgrade makes me feel better about myself at least :D
Wish I could wait and do some tests, but the loop has to be rebuilt with a couple of 7970's and mantle or no mantle, I'm not tearing it down again if I can help it.

As for Valley... Sure, but I got something like 3450 with the 7990 at 1150/1700 which is way off what it should be. ULPS/Powerplay disabled etc... :/

ED: 3663 on extremeHD @1150/1700. Cpu perhaps?

Last edited:

About 11C between my 7990 cores :(

Dont discount mantle helping out the 2500K if the 7990 can offload some of the grunt! I would have waited till after to get an i7.

Dont discount mantle helping out the 2500K if the 7990 can offload some of the grunt! I would have waited till after to get an i7.

Tbh, I don't really play BF4 that much. Even if I did, the performance I'm getting right now with the i5/7990 is perfectly acceptable for me. Then again, an OC'd 7970 was all cool too....
This 7990 (and the other one) will be going in a mining rig shortly anyway.

I'll be going with WC 7970CF in a couple of days and I want to make the most of them with as many titles as possible, not just BF4 and other potential Mantle games.
Having had a little test with Crysis 3 for example, I can definitely say that the i5 noticeably holds back a 7990 there.

Once the loop is back in, I don't want to be thinking about doing any upgrades, so I figure it's best to chuck in an i7 now :)

:p
Yeah it does seem smoother, my average is always over 60fps now which is nice :) Still bottlenecked though, of course.
Still getting used to W8 :o

Good stuff :)
Win8 takes a fair bit of getting used to, that's for sure. Even with a fairly normal desktop, there are still some odd things to figure out.

guys, is anyone else getting what I can only describe as artifacting on the screen after this latest update? Happens on Lancing Dam more than any of the other maps. Basically I get flickering squares, triangles etc all over me screen. Now, I know its not these cards oc's because before it never happened, and I can also run things like Crysis 3, Valley for hours on end using 100% GPU and not have 1 problem what so ever. It only seems to be with BF4 now for some reason.

Yeah I noticed a significant bottleneck on Crysis 3 when I had 7970 CF.
Some levels were much more CPU bound than others.

Indeed. My 2500k at 4.3ghz severly limited my 670's in sli in some parts of Crysis 3. On the Welcome to the Jungle level at one point i was only getting 30fps and very poor gpu usage. At the same point with a 3770k at 4.5ghz i get 60fps and my gpu usage is so much higher.

I think it is the grass animation that loves hyperthreading.

Indeed. My 2500k at 4.3ghz severly limited my 670's in sli in some parts of Crysis 3. On the Welcome to the Jungle level at one point i was only getting 30fps and very poor gpu usage. At the same point with a 3770k at 4.5ghz i get 60fps and my gpu usage is so much higher.

I think it is the grass animation that loves hyperthreading.

Damn, that makes me want to grab an i7 :p
I might try and get a 4820k.

I've noticed some flickering squares.

Ive noticed a bit of flickering on certain objects/textures, but only on things miles away in the distance. To be honest i have noticed things like this in every game i have ever played with multiple different configurations.

Back
Top Bottom