• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Just gaming: I agree a moderately clocked i7 is more than fine.

But while streaming to Twitch 40% of my CPU is being used before I even load into BF4. Then I can peak at 100% usage even with a heavily overclocked i7 so become CPU limited.

Which ain't good for my FPS :D.

So you do live streams to twitch or recorded streams or both? So who's looking at the twitch feed?

If you get another 780 you will max out your cpu if you try to stream BF4 to twitch. Infact you gonna hope mantle off loads the cpu enough to allow that degree of multitasking.

So you do live streams to twitch or recorded streams or both? So who's looking at the twitch feed?

If you get another 780 you will max out your cpu if you try to stream BF4 to twitch. Infact you gonna hope mantle off loads the cpu enough to allow that degree of multitasking.

Live stream.

If I got another 780 then while streaming I would become CPU limited more quickly. Probably wouldn't get that much benefit overall while streaming.

I would need an overclocked SB-E/IB-E to really be able to stream without the bottleneck,.

Mantle would help but in my opinion, it will be limited to AMD cards only initially. While they iron out bugs and the like. By the time it's released and made open (if they do indeed go through with this) then I still can't see nVidia actually adopting it so I likely wouldn't see any benefits.

I'll weigh up the pros and cons as I normally do once it comes to upgrade time again :).

Hey there, don't mind me, but I thought I might drop some actual BF4 benchmarks up in this bizzatch :p

1080p.
Shanghai 64 All Ultra/4xMSAA with FXAA disabled for all three tests and all cards set to 1000/1500 with a 2600K @4.7Ghz

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
69256, 707828, 57, 174, 97.843

Power usage at the wall: 480W. Not sure if it peaked any higher.

Temps/GPU usage:
3BQzc11.png

7990+7970 Trifire

57386, 582875, 57, 196, 98.453

Power usage at the wall: 532W average with occasional peaks up of 640W

Temps/GPU usage:
WXQIQpE.png

7990+7970 Trifire @200% Resolution Scale

38645, 653969, 0, 93, 59.093

Power usage: 650-680W

Temps/GPU usage:
pyhMvn6.png

Vehicles exploding and spectacular deaths were responsible for those low digit/zero minimums @200%.
It may look slightly more crisp than 100%, but I don't think it's worth the performance penalty.

So all in all... You're gonna need a high res screen to really take advantage of TriFire and probably a rather juicy cpu OC too.
I know, shocking news, right? :p

I believe so. Overclocking it from 4.4 to 4.7 (with plenty of room for more) has made a noticeable difference too.

Had a little go of the opening level on Crysis 3, (with the CPU @4.4 still) and gpu usage was at around 95% on each core and running happily at Very High/4xMSAA between 51-80+fps on the stock 7990.
That was a big difference compared to the i5.

I'd recommend the upgrade, though maybe not so much if your main (or only) game is BF4 considering Mantle is around the corner.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with the 7990's gpu usage in the trifire 100% vs 200% graphs?

What was the vram usage, could've been something to do with that.

Either way you'll never get great results trying to tri-fire at peasant res i doubt. One 7990 is overkill at 1080p let alone another 7970 on top. Even with my 2700k@5ghz i get bottlenecking at 1080p with my 7990 at stock. Trying running the same test once mantle hits rude boi. ;)

What was the vram usage, could've been something to do with that.

Either way you'll never get great results trying to tri-fire at peasant res i doubt. One 7990 is overkill at 1080p let alone another 7970 on top. Even with my 2700k@5ghz i get bottlenecking at 1080p with my 7990 at stock. Trying running the same test once mantle hits rude boi. ;)

Yeah, trifire is utterly wasted at 1080 and are you telling me that 9Gb isn't enough??!!! (ok, it's 3gb, but whatever :p)

ED: No trifire with mantle for me dude. Gonna be all plumbed in well before that :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom