• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

I have really terrible frame times with r9 290s in crossfire, in both mantle and directx11. This is what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/LO1rc
The game is really difficult to play, and 100 fps feels like about 30. Nothing thus far has been able to fix the issue - I even upgraded from sandybridge to haswell in the hopes that that would work, but it did not. This of course included a reinstall of windows.
All my drivers are up to date as possible and I'm running catalyst 14.4.
This problem only occurs in crossfire mode, otherwise the green lines are super thin and the game feels smooth in single gpu mode.

Are you playing in full screen? Your GPU line is very bad something is wrong. Even in directx is wouldn't be that bad.
Another question what are your pci-e lanes running at? 4x 8x or 16x?

I ask this because when I was testing temps I have one card @16x and another @4x and it showed similar results to you.

I have really terrible frame times with r9 290s in crossfire, in both mantle and directx11. This is what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/LO1rc
The game is really difficult to play, and 100 fps feels like about 30. Nothing thus far has been able to fix the issue - I even upgraded from sandybridge to haswell in the hopes that that would work, but it did not. This of course included a reinstall of windows.
All my drivers are up to date as possible and I'm running catalyst 14.4.
This problem only occurs in crossfire mode, otherwise the green lines are super thin and the game feels smooth in single gpu mode.

Hello brother.

You may not know this but ive tried to help you with this issue on two others forums, oc.net and HardOCP. :D

I'm not sure what to suggest, however i can replicate those thick lines you get by playing in Borderless mode. Are you definitely using full screen mode? Can you see a white line around the screen? If you can its in borderless mode, even if it says full screen mode.

Perhaps if i share my settings file you can try it?

He's not, judging by this guys replies on other forums.

As an example of what i mean by the rendering line and the difference on fps and line thickness between Full Screen crossfire Mantle and Borderless crossfire Mantle see below. This was taken from a 64 man server. 1440P, Ultra preset +4xAA.

2700k@5ghz
290 Crossfire @ stock 975/1250

Full Screen
1ee07ce03739c63c0aaa90606ad9dc56.jpg

Borderless
d95c44fb5e445c2bb721096d6d1c25d5.jpg

Props to Dice and Mantle for getting crossfire working in non full screen mode though.

Last edited:
Is the difference purely due to the way CF is forced in borderless window? Or is it the same with a single card?

Would have killed for CF in borderless window mode on the original Crysis game, iirc there was some game breaking bug that stopped me using it in full screen on my 6950's.

Oh yeah it's definitely in fullscreen mode in the settings, if I choose borderless mode the green lines at least double in size!
I play at 1440P btw, if I run at 1080P the lines are way smaller.
Thanks a lot for all your help, in both this forum and the others hehe! I have no idea what it is about my system specifically that is causing this issue...

Is the difference purely due to the way CF is forced in borderless window? Or is it the same with a single card?

Would have killed for CF in borderless window mode on the original Crysis game, iirc there was some game breaking bug that stopped me using it in full screen on my 6950's.

Good question senor PG Tips and one LT fielded to the man in the know some time ago.

https://twitter.com/TheMattB81/status/439352168177344512

If you look at my screenshot in that tweet, look how much thicker the line is. Fast forward to today and my screenshot above. Why is my line thinner now i hear you cry? Well the only thing that has changed on my system is my motherboard. Before i was using pci-e 2.0 x8 x8 (p8p67 deluxe) and now im on pci-e 2.0 x16 x16. (p8z77 ws) Before anyone thinks this is the reason for this other fellows issues i think you'd be mistaken. He's already using Haswell with plenty o pci-e bandwidth.

Oh yeah it's definitely in fullscreen mode in the settings, if I choose borderless mode the green lines at least double in size!
Thanks a lot for all your help, in both this forum and the others hehe! I have no idea what it is about my system specifically that is causing this issue...

I think your settings are corrupted and somehow you're stuck in borderless mode. Why do i think this? It happened to me once and i had the same issue. Try my settings file, place it in your my docs bf4 folder and overwrite your old file. If Origin asks to sync with the cloud make sure you select use local data.

**LINK REMOVED**

If you have a user.cfg file, delete it. Mine got corrupted when this issue happened and the game added loads of weird stuff to it.

Last edited:
Ah I see, PCI bandwidth limitation over the XDMA link thing.

In theory then 290's should fly like **** off a shovel on X79 then? Relatively easy to break out 130mhz+ on the base clock.

Ah I see, PCI bandwidth limitation over the XDMA link thing.

In theory then 290's should fly like **** off a shovel on X79 then? Relatively easy to break out 130mhz+ on the base clock.

The thick rendering line is only present when in borderless mode. Its quite playable for me now in borderless mode, but in the tweet screenshot i sent to Johan it was not. Not sure if its really because of pci-e bandwidth increase or its just the fact dice improved the borderless performance after i tweeted Johan. Either is possible.

Can you do us a favour. Download gpuz and use its benchmark full screen down bottom it will tell you what your pci-e lanes are running at.

Ooh thats a good idea. Why didn't i think of that? I blame PG Tips!

Yeah before I changed to this mb matt I tested on other what had 3x lanes two 16x running @8x when xfire and one bottom running @4x.
For testing temps I wanted one gpu top and other bottom., this had me running 16x-4x performance was shocking lol bf4 showed similar thick green line.
Reason on buying new mb :D

Yeah before I changed to this mb matt I tested on other what had 3x lanes two 16x running @8x when xfire and one bottom running @4x.
For testing temps I wanted one gpu top and other bottom., this had me running 16x-4x performance was shocking lol bf4 showed similar thick green line.
Reason on buying new mb :D

Furry muffingtons.

On HardOCP though he was using a x8 x8 pci-e2.0 board then moving to Haswell, new mobo so x8 x8 pci-e 3.0, same issue. But hey lets see what he says. :)

I tried the profile you uploaded and it didn't work :( and GPU-Z says PCIe 3.0 x16 @ 3.0 x8 for both cards. No idea what to do...
Could it perhaps be my soundcard influencing things? I tried to disable it before but it seemed to have no effect.

I tried the profile you uploaded and it didn't work :( and GPU-Z says PCIe 3.0 x16 @ 3.0 x8 for both cards. No idea what to do...
Could it perhaps be my soundcard influencing things? I tried to disable it before but it seemed to have no effect.

Take it out of your system completely and try it.

I just tried taking screenshots in the game using the printscreen button on my keyboard but it just took a screenshot of the desktop... could that be related to this issue perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom