• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Soldato
OP
20 runs of Intel Burn Test, definitely stable and my gpu's were at stock. I'm blaming the game.

Good results PG Tips. Interesting that you're only on DX11. I wonder if there is an issue with AMD/DX11.1/Windows 8.1. I never used to have stability problems. Will reassess once they next patch the game.

I know during our game i was averaging very high fps, spent a lot of time at or around 190-200fps.

Yeah was around the same frame rates for most of the round, though the GPU line does funny things when I hit the 200 frame wall, outside stresses enough to go under 200 giving me a better line.

Can you force dx11.0 in the config file? I'm on win 8.1 too.

Caporegime
Yeah was around the same frame rates for most of the round, though the GPU line does funny things when I hit the 200 frame wall, outside stresses enough to go under 200 giving me a better line.

Can you force dx11.0 in the config file? I'm on win 8.1 too.

I don't know. Why is it displaying DX11.0 if you're on Windows 8.1? It should be running on DX11.1. :confused:

Caporegime
Nvidia GPU.

I just presumed my cards weren't 11.1 compliant?

Didn't realise, interesting. Well it looks to me as if these extra DX11.1 optimizations are doing more harm than good currently. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dice have messed something up, given their track record with this title.

EA-DICE' upcoming online shooter Battlefield 4 will take advantage of DirectX 11.1 API, on PCs running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Running the game with DirectX 11.1 will have a positive performance impact compared to running it on DirectX 11.0, or on older operating systems like Windows 7 (which doesn't support DirectX 11.1). In the words of the technical director behind Frostbite, the underlying engine for Battlefield 4, "We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1." This could give Radeon HD 7000 series GPUs an edge over their GeForce competitors. GPUs based on NVIDIA's "Kepler" micro-architecture don't fully support DirectX 11.1. Incidentally, Battlefield 4 was just bagged and tagged by AMD for its future "Never Settle" bundle. Join the dots.

http://www.techpowerup.com/187812/b...x-11-1-could-give-radeon-hd-7000-an-edge.html

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
Which is the file that can be edited to force mantle? iirc you adjust a string from apirender=d3d11 to what ever you like, wonder if it can be forced to 11.1 through this.

Soldato
OP
Well, from some digging, Kepler supports 11.1 code and runs it, but only fronts its self as supporting the feature set up to 11.0 so thats what it shows.

In other words it technically IS running 11.1 though will only ever show 11.0 due to it not meeting the full feature set specs.

Caporegime
I did manage some results, eventually

bf4frametimemetronew.jpg

290P Crossfire DX11.1 14.4 WHQL

yEG9oEN.jpg

Mantle results next.

Caporegime
Good stuff, did you manage to get to the bottom of the in game graph lines thing on 11.1? Think its probably just one of those things tbh.

Yours (the green line) are slightly better than mine, but tbh mate im not sure its AMD's fault. I think its a BF4 issue. In terms of flat lines it seems to be Mantle>nvDX>amdDX however as the results show our frame times are similar, identical pretty much. Your lines look marginally more consistent yet you have more variability and stutter. Swings and roundabouts, lets call it a tie. I have to warn you though, Mantle will kick both our asses. I was just about to test and Battlelog went down so will do it later.

One thing i have noticed, frame time are more consistent and less spikey at 1440P. :)

Soldato
OP
Haven't tested 1440 yet though suspect more consistent times is likely due to not hitting 200fps so often. My GPU line sometimes gos mental sitting at 200. A pair of 780's is deffo overkill at 1080 for this game.

Not sure if it happens in amddx/mantle, but with nv, never do screenshot.render while running framefilelogenable, the split second after the command is sent it generates an almighty spike on the CPU line.

Tbh if mantle wasn't beating both of our read outs then its not doing its job :)

Caporegime
Haven't tested 1440 yet though suspect more consistent times is likely due to not hitting 200fps so often. My GPU line sometimes gos mental sitting at 200. A pair of 780's is deffo overkill at 1080 for this game.

Not sure if it happens in amddx/mantle, but with nv, never do screenshot.render while running framefilelogenable, the split second after the command is sent it generates an almighty spike on the CPU line.

Tbh if mantle wasn't beating both of our read outs then its not doing its job :)

Yeah i suppose it could be that. My gpu line does not go mental sitting at 200fps though. You'll have to show me a screenshot as im not really sure what you mean. At 200fps the gpu line is always flat for me.

And yeah, never take a screenshot when benchmarking. ;)

Soldato
OP
It doesn't always happen but I'll try grab a screen of it. Rather then flat line (as the CPU does) it jumps up and down quite quickly by a small amount for the duration of hitting the wall.

You watch, I bet it won't bloody do it now.

Back
Top Bottom