• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Caporegime
But as I say, Matt, that isn't tracking. :p

Also competitive BF4 - lol

Its exactly the same. Tanks don't just sit still, especially at long range. You often have to lead your target to get a critical hit exactly the same as you do with infantry combat. You can also use a heavy LMG to shoot infantry from long range. It has extreme bullet drop, so accurate tracking and prediction of bullet drop is essential. Its identical to tracking on foot.

By competitive i mean playing with reasonable players. :p :D

Soldato
Its exactly the same. Tanks don't just sit still, especially at long range. You often have to lead your target to get a critical hit exactly the same as you do with infantry combat. You can also use a heavy LMG to shoot enemies from long range. It has extreme bullet drop, so accurate tracking and prediction of bullet drop is essential. Its identical to tracking on foot.

I think you're missing what I'm getting at with tracking. Tracking isn't firing one shot at a moving target (tank shell). To get a good tank hit and be a good tank driver you need relatively precise aim but not the precision required infantry vs infantry (to be 'good').

Tank vs tank isn't tracking - not to say I think it's skill less, I just don't look at tank players and say "wow they're good". But that's my background. You're more than welcome to think differently :p.

By competitive i mean playing with reasonable players. :p :D

Thank goodness for that. I was about to have an epifit :D :D :D.

Tanks sit still when I'm in them, usually wedged into the side of a building too :D

When I used to play BF4 it felt like I was PERMANENTLY marked as a HVT. So irritating. I had tanks chasing me into buildings and all sorts. I was seething at the time but it was funny looking back.

Caporegime
I think you're missing what I'm getting at with tracking. Tracking isn't firing one shot at a moving target (tank shell). To get a good tank hit and be a good tank driver you need relatively precise aim but not the precision required infantry vs infantry (to be 'good').

Tank vs tank isn't tracking - not to say I think it's skill less, I just don't look at tank players and say "wow they're good". But that's my background. You're more than welcome to think differently :p.

Feels exactly the same to me and i do a lot of Tank and Infantry combat. Its all tracking and aiming at the end of the day.

Three separate games of Gulf at the weekend. Rolled my tank three times off the bridge... knifing it didn't work... lol

Hows BF4 running for you atm BB?

Soldato
Feels exactly the same to me and i do a lot of Tank and Infantry combat. Its all tracking and aiming at the end of the day.

Tracking and aiming are different things :p. You aim with a tank shell but you don't track as it's single fire. You aim and track with the LMG but you don't need to be quite as precise due to the nature of the beast.

Don't worry you aren't the first and you won't be the last to muddle up the two. All this talking about it is making me want to go shooting again :D.

Are any of the expansion packs a bit more BF3 like in that there's vehicle and infantry as a viable play option?

Caporegime
Tracking and aiming are different things :p. You aim with a tank shell but you don't track as it's single fire. You aim and track with the LMG but you don't need to be quite as precise due to the nature of the beast.

Don't worry you aren't the first and you won't be the last to muddle up the two. All this talking about it is making me want to go shooting again :D.

Are any of the expansion packs a bit more BF3 like in that there's vehicle and infantry as a viable play option?

Lol you ain't going to convince me its any different Rusty when i play as both and use the same aiming method for both styles. Tracking, leading and accounting for drop. You still have to account for a moving tank at long range, this means you often aren't aiming at that tank, but a specific area or location in front, behind or above the tank, not to mention trying to account for shell drop. Exactly the same as you do when shooting someone, presuming they're moving. Again its exactly the same in my opinion, i just don't see a major difference between it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I miss the days of taking out tanks/apc's in bfbc2. Go recon with c4 and i could average 3-4 vehicle kills a round doing this. With the amount of sensors, spotting etc in bf4 this just results in getting blown to bits or run over.

Soldato
Lol you ain't going to convince me its any different Rusty when i play as both and use the same aiming method for both styles. Tracking, leading and accounting for drop. You still have to account for a moving tank at long range, this means you often aren't aiming at that tank, but a specific area or location in front, behind or above the tank, not to mention trying to account for shell drop. Exactly the same as you do when shooting someone, presuming they're moving. Again its exactly the same in my opinion and i just see a major difference between it.

It doesn't matter if you play both 24 hours a day if you aren't understanding the difference between tracking and aiming :D. There is zero tracking involved in pumping tank shells out. Everything you described there is fine but it comes under the umbrella of aiming not tracking :p. And aiming at a large hitbox as well.

I get that it requires some effort and a degree of skill to hit a moving target with a shell at a huge range and I'm not saying it's easy but for me skill is measured by aiming precision and tracking.

Caporegime
I miss the days of taking out tanks/apc's in bfbc2. Go recon with c4 and i could average 3-4 vehicle kills a round doing this. With the amount of sensors, spotting etc in bf4 this just results in getting blown to bits or run over.

Hardcore on BF4, It can be a nightmare in a tank with no mini map hacks. :(

It doesn't matter if you play both 24 hours a day if you aren't understanding the difference between tracking and aiming :D. There is zero tracking involved in pumping tank shells out. Everything you described there is fine but it comes under the umbrella of aiming not tracking :p. And aiming at a large hitbox as well.

I get that it requires some effort and a degree of skill to hit a moving target with a shell at a huge range and I'm not saying it's easy but for me skill is measured by aiming precision and tracking.

There is in long range tank combat. You're tracking the tank when you engage unless its staying perfectly still. In that case i will agree its not tracking. Any tank player worth his salt is on the move and using cover so you're most definitely tracking and aiming. That's not to mention the tracking and aiming that goes on using the second gun to snipe infantry targets. I suppose that doesn't count either? :p

You may as well give up mate, you won't convince me. :p It feels extremely similar to me no matter how you dress it up. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Must try harder! :p C4 and Mines aren't hard to get kills, you just can't go using them willy-nilly like in BadNoobCompany 2.

Caporegime
I use mines and SLAM's quite often as engineer, know some great spots to place them as well. SLAM's in particular on maps like paracel, scatter a few in the choke points between islands and your guaranteed to get a few boats in the course of a round.

Soldato
There is in long range tank combat. You're tracking the tank when you engage unless its staying perfectly still. In that case i will agree its not tracking. Any tank player worth his salt is on the move and using cover so you're most definitely tracking and aiming. That's not to mention the tracking and aiming that goes on using the second gun to snipe infantry targets. I suppose that doesn't count either? :p

You may as well give up mate, you won't convince me. :p It feels extremely similar to me no matter how you dress it up. :)

I won't give up until you get it :p. It's not about dressing it up; they're different skills.

That isn't tracking, that's aiming. You're acquiring your target and firing... judging for distance and dip. There's no tracking as once your shot has gone that's it. You then have to reload the cannon and fire again. Tracking would be keeping your target tracked while firing adjusting for recoil etc. Which isn't applicable to a tank shell. As I say, you have to aim (and sometimes well if your tank is moving 200 miles away) but there isn't any tracking. You might implicitly 'track' the target once your shell has been fired so you're ready to fire again at the earliest but that's different from what we call tracking. I think that's where the breakdown is happening. Probably my bad for not explaining what I mean by tracking :p. It's a small difference but an important one.

You track to some degree using the LMG as you're firing whilst target acquiring but the precision needed is less due to the gun. You don't have to be quite as precise.

Caporegime
I won't give up until you get it :p. It's not about dressing it up; they're different skills.

That isn't tracking, that's aiming. You're acquiring your target and firing... judging for distance and dip. There's no tracking as once your shot has gone that's it. You then have to reload the cannon and fire again. Tracking would be keeping your target tracked while firing adjusting for recoil etc. Which isn't applicable to a tank shell. As I say, you have to aim (and sometimes well if your tank is moving 200 miles away) but there isn't any tracking. You might implicitly 'track' the target once your shell has been fired so you're ready to fire again at the earliest but that's different from what we call tracking.

You track to some degree using the LMG as you're firing whilst target acquiring but the precision needed is less due to the gun. You don't have to be quite as precise.

For the love of god man, give it up. :D

You would be right if you fired one shot and that was it, they died. That's just not how it works though. It is applicable to a tank shell at range for the reasons ive already mentioned, so won't go into them again as its just going to be going round in circles. Tracking a tank at range is the same as tracking a moving infantry player, regardless of whether you use a single fire weapon or a fully automatic one. You're making it sound like you can only track if firing a fully automatic weapon at a moving player. Nothing else counts. In my eyes it does not work like that. Regarding the LMG you have to be more precise than with most typical guns because of the insane bullet drop and the tendency of the gun to overheat. So its actually probably more skillful than your form of tracking. :D :p That's a joke of course but its fun to highlight the absurdity of this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom