• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Caporegime
Downloading this community test thingy, 15gb so it will take a while. Cant help but feel that this will be more of a test bed for the next game and changes wont be implemented into bf4.

I've not noticed much difference apart from theres hardly any busy servers and all my unlocks have gone. Stock weapons only. :eek:

EDIT

When i say stock weapons i mean the first weapon for each class only and thats it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You've always wanted to be a beta tester right?
I thought weve been doing that since release.:D

Read a few posts in the bf4 thread in pc games that infantry play is much smoother in this CTE compared to the full game. Kinda peeved theese days that i have to drop to low settings to avoid spiking, particularly with a gpu that runs it at pretty decent fps.

Soldato
For the love of god man, give it up. :D

You would be right if you fired one shot and that was it, they died.

You're aiming the shell and then aiming again. You aren't tracking because by definiton it's single fire. As I said, tracking is firing at a moving target, tracing their movement while firing and then tracking from target to target firing in bursts (or holding the trigger down if you're that way inclined :p).

That's just not how it works though. It is applicable to a tank shell at range for the reasons ive already mentioned, so won't go into them again as its just going to be going round in circles. Tracking a tank at range is the same as tracking a moving infantry player,

That's target acquisition so comes under aiming. You aren't tracking it. You're aiming and firing. If you were firing say a laser beam at it and had to follow it as it moved around with the laser beam that would be tracking.

I think the problem is you're using the word tracking as a synonym for acquiring a moving target. Think of it like this: acquiring the target is aiming and then maintaining fire at it while moving is tracking.

So somebody good at aiming bad at tracking would hit their first bullet on somebody and nearly kill them due to the good aim but their poor tracking allowed that person to get away because they couldn't track his movement behind cover and maintain fire.

Caporegime
You're aiming the shell and then aiming again. You aren't tracking because by definiton it's single fire. As I said, tracking is firing at a moving target, tracing their movement while firing and then tracking from target to target firing in bursts (or holding the trigger down if you're that way inclined :p).

That's target acquisition so comes under aiming. You aren't tracking it. You're aiming and firing. If you were firing say a laser beam at it and had to follow it as it moved around with the laser beam that would be tracking.

I think the problem is you're using the word tracking as a synonym for acquiring a moving target. Think of it like this: acquiring the target is aiming and then maintaining fire at it while moving is tracking.

So somebody good at aiming bad at tracking would hit their first bullet on somebody and nearly kill them due to the good aim but their poor tracking allowed that person to get away because they couldn't track his movement behind cover and maintain fire.

I do track/maintain fire on my target till he dies when in a tank. Be it using a tank shell or using the LMG on infantry or light vehicles/air targets. So as before, its the same.

Funnily enough when i use the AA or LAV they fire automatic shells so i guess this would come under your definition of tracking/maintaining constant fire. Or does that not count now? :D

You're doing a poor job at trying to convince me Rusty. Have another go. :p

Caporegime
As a very keen clay pigeon shooter, what Rusty is referring to is what we call leading a moving target. Knowing how far to keep your weapon moving as your target moves so that your shots are intersecting with the target.

Right, now im in the mood for a bit of shooting, time to break out the shotgun, no bf4 for 5 hours while this download is going on.:o

Caporegime
As a very keen clay pigeon shooter, what Rusty is referring to is what we call leading a moving target. Knowing how far to keep your weapon moving as your target moves so that your shots are intersecting with the target.

Its exactly what you do when using the Tank, The LAV, the AA. You have to lead the target and track it every time unless its at extremely close range. Exactly the same as you do with infantry when shooting a gun at range. If it only counts when using an automatic gun then i guess only the AA and LAV would count. But in that instance then using a single fire weapon like a sniper rifle or a pistol would not count either and that seems bizarre to me.

Soldato
I do track/maintain fire on my target till he dies when in a tank. Be it using a tank shell or using the LMG on infantry or light vehicles/air targets. So as before, its the same.

Funnily enough when i use the AA or LAV they fire automatic shells so i guess this would come under your definition of tracking/maintaining constant fire. Or does that not count now? :D

You're doing a poor job at trying to convince me Rusty. Have another go. :p

Tracking is what it is, Matt. If there's tracking involved in it then it counts.

To use the laser beam example again: if you had a laser beam and pointed it at something while it's moving then that's you aiming well. Following the target, maintaining fire while it moves around is tracking.

So that isn't tracking because it's single fire (shells) :). It's as simple as that. It's aiming. There's ZERO tracking. You aren't maintaining fire you're aiming and firing and then aiming and firing again until it dies. Following a target while firing with the LMG is tracking. Same with the AA.

You flaming noob :p - you'd be crucified talking to anyone I played FPS with over the years. Luckily I like you. Just a little though. Probably enough for something unspeakable but we'll save that for email :eek:.

Caporegime
Tracking is what it is, Matt. If there's tracking involved in it then it counts.

To use the laser beam example again: if you had a laser beam and pointed it at something while it's moving then that's you aiming well. Following the target, maintaining fire while it moves around is tracking.

So that isn't tracking because it's single fire (shells) :). It's as simple as that. It's aiming. There's ZERO tracking. You aren't maintaining fire you're aiming and firing and then aiming and firing again until it dies. Following a target while firing with the LMG is tracking. Same with the AA.

You flaming noob :p - you'd be crucified talking to anyone I played FPS with over the years. Luckily I like you. Just a little though. Probably enough for something unspeakable but we'll save that for email :eek:.

So i can track with the LMG, The LAV and the AA just not the main tank shell only because its single fire? So you can't track with any single shot weapon (guns included) in the game either, only automatic weapons? That's some seriously flawed logic in my opinion, but as always each to their own.

Soldato
So i can track with the LMG, The LAV and the AA just not the main tank shell only because its single fire? So you can't track with any single shot weapon (guns included) in the game either, only automatic weapons? That's some seriously flawed logic in my opinion, but as always each to their own.

Just detach the word 'track' from acquiring a target (adjusting for range etc). They're different things. Then you're half way there. :p

It ain't logic anyway it's just what the particular skill is. I get where you're coming from I just think you're taking the word literally whereas I'm referring to the skill of tracking.

Sniping requires very good aim but you aren't really tracking. You can follow a target with your scope - similar to you with your tank cannon - but that's different to tracking because you aren't firing at him while he's moving. When you're firing you've got to factor in the recoil of the gun and maintain fire (if you're skilled) on the quick kill zones (e.g. the head or the upper body). There's not much use tracking a targets legs so part of the skill involves tracking the head.

It's why I often get called a cheater in BF games as I can put down tonnes of people in one clip by flipping between targets tracking their heads while firing. And I'm not even THAT good by old school standards. And definitely not any more now I'm getting old and decrepit. :(

Soldato
Still all the same to me pal. :)

I was trying to explain it properly with walls of text as I thought you would read the post but I'll summarise it simply for your bunker mode :p:

Aiming: acquiring a target and firing
Tracking: maintaining fire on a moving target

There's no good tracking the legs so part of the skill is tracking the quick kill zones while firing and then flipping between moving targets putting them down as they move around. Everybody CAN track as you do it implicitly but being good at it is different.

There's no 'maintaining' fire on a tank (move, aim and fire) unless you're using the LMG which brings us right back to the beginning in that I judge skill on aiming AND tracking (not just one of them) :p.

That's me though and as I say, I am quite aware that I am in the minority in that respect. But I've been playing FPS games a lot since I was like 12.

Back
Top Bottom