• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Soldato
I play most games with fps above refresh rate. Csgo I run 300fps
On this game the frame rate is linked to the net code, so if you limit your fps to say 60 and play on a 128 tick server you already at a massive disadvantage.

This post here explains it better than I can.
http://www.netcodeguides.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9412&p=87127#post87127

I just think games play and feel better when they is no limit.

Just had a few rounds on the CTE and lowered settings to get a constant 129fps (gametime.maxvariablefps 129) but didnt notice any difference to wot u was saying so i duno.

No tearing using Mantle with vsync off tho :)

Man of Honour
I want to know why there is no noticeable input lag when using vsync in Mantle in BF4. It makes no sense. In DX i can notice it immediately, yet in Mantle vsync on or off feels identical.

Are you using some form of adaptive - otherwise could be DX is dropping to multiples more often even if its just a really brief drop which you'd feel more as increased input lag.

Man of Honour
Just had a few rounds on the CTE and lowered settings to get a constant 129fps (gametime.maxvariablefps 129) but didnt notice any difference to wot u was saying so i duno.

No tearing using Mantle with vsync off tho :)

Think the 129fps mentioned is in relation to CS/CSGO and doesn't work for BF4.

Soldato
I want to know why there is no noticeable input lag when using vsync in Mantle in BF4. It makes no sense. In DX i can notice it immediately, yet in Mantle vsync on or off feels identical.

I dont get input lag with Mantle/Vsync either. With these 2 together i dont get any tearing,input lag or stutter which makes me wonder if i wud ever need Gsync ;)

Think the 129fps mentioned is in relation to CS/CSGO and doesn't work for BF4.

I saw some chat in-game saying it isnt tickrate.. its the 'Netcode' that needs fixing.

Caporegime
Are you using some form of adaptive - otherwise could be DX is dropping to multiples more often even if its just a really brief drop which you'd feel more as increased input lag.

No nothing. Just enable vsync in game and bam no difference whether its on or off that i can detect. Yet when using DX i can feel the mouse input is slower and there is a delay the second i turn vsync on. There is no delay in Mantle to the point that im wondering if i should be using vsync as there is no negative to using it.

I dont get input lag with Mantle/Vsync either. With these 2 together i dont get any tearing,input lag or stutter which makes me wonder if i wud ever need Gsync ;)

So its not me going mad then, that's good.

You would need it in non Mantle titles, of which there are a lot at the moment. :p

Man of Honour
No nothing. Just enable vsync in game and bam no difference whether its on or off that i can detect. Yet when using DX i can feel the mouse input is slower and there is a delay the second i turn vsync on. There is no delay in Mantle to the point that im wondering if i should be using vsync as there is no negative to using it.

So its not me going mad then, that's good.

If your not using adaptive vsync and mantle is helping minimum fps then your likely not getting as many time when the fps drops to a multiple of 60 which results in very noticeable input lag - sometimes it only happens for a very brief moment so you might not notice the fps counter change but you will feel the extra input lag.

Caporegime
If your not using adaptive vsync and mantle is helping minimum fps then your likely not getting as many time when the fps drops to a multiple of 60 which results in very noticeable input lag - sometimes it only happens for a very brief moment so you might not notice the fps counter change but you will feel the extra input lag.

I don't think its that at all. Fps under DX can be at 200 rock solid, ill still feel input lag when i enable vsync compared to what its like when vsync is off. Under Mantle, there is none. On or off feels the same, regardless of fps. The only thing i can think of is maybe Mantle does not render frame ahead, but this is just a guess on my part. Truth be told it makes no sense to me and i was hoping someone could shed light on it.

Soldato
I cant remember getting input lag on any games i have tho. Maybe its just my setup. I always make sure my monitors refresh rate is set up at 60 along with in-game resolution/refresh rate then enable vsync which i usually always have on cuz my GPU temps are much lower. That run i just did on CTE with no vsync gave me temps around 7c higher than if i use vsync. Were talking 65c to 72c.

Soldato
60 Hz - I would rather play shooters on a CRT :D

In fact I kept my CRT for a long time until LCD 120 Hz became available. It just isn't feasible for me. My aim is built around the responsiveness of 120 Hz - with 60 Hz I can't hit a thing.

I cant remember getting input lag on any games i have tho. Maybe its just my setup. I always make sure my monitors refresh rate is set up at 60 along with in-game resolution/refresh rate then enable vsync which i usually always have on cuz my GPU temps are much lower. That run i just did on CTE with no vsync gave me temps around 7c higher than if i use vsync. Were talking 65c to 72c.

It's generally only one of those things you actually notice once you've gone to 120 Hz or if you play or have played shooters historically. Properly play them I mean such as leagues and tournaments etc.

Caporegime
60 Hz - I would rather play shooters on a CRT :D

In fact I kept my CRT for a long time until LCD 120 Hz became available. It just isn't feasible for me. My aim is built around the responsiveness of 120 Hz - with 60 Hz I can't hit a thing.

That's cos you're a noob though Rusters. :p

There's no input lag with vsync off, so how can there be any with it on, anyone??

Caporegime
The opposite :D.

60 / 120 isn't just about input lag. Screens are a lot better nowadays but it's still a massive difference for somebody like me. I would imagine Rroff is the same.

Tell me Rusty, how is it possible that Mantle has no input lag? Times like this i wish someone of your analness (is that even a word lol?) had a amd gpu so you could try it out for yourself and report back.

Man of Honour
The opposite :D.

60 / 120 isn't just about input lag. Screens are a lot better nowadays but it's still a massive difference for somebody like me. I would imagine Rroff is the same.

Indeed after years of honing my skills at 125fps on a 100Hz CRT and then 120Hz TFT its very noticeable going back to 60Hz. I suspect somewhat its muscle memory tuned to that update rate.

Soldato
Tell me Rusty, how is it possible that Mantle has no input lag? Times like this i wish someone of your analness (is that even a word lol?) had a amd gpu so you could try it out for yourself and report back.

No idea mate. Have you actually measured the input lag though? Because how it 'feels' can be affected by a number of things. So you could perceive there to be no input lag but it may still be there.

Caporegime
No idea mate. Have you actually measured the input lag though? Because how it 'feels' can be affected by a number of things. So you could perceive there to be no input lag but it may still be there.

No idea how id measure it tbh. I can only compare to how vsync feels on DX on BF4 and god knows how many other DX titles. As crossfire does not work on Thief yet, i can't compare it to that unfortunately. I'm hoping this is a yet undiscovered plus to using Mantle. Using vsync without the negatives definitely has its plus points, especially when you're on reference coolers. :p

Soldato
OP
Perhaps (and likely) mantle is just rendering frames far more efficiently with vsync then DX, maybe mantle doesn't throw away as many or any frames with vsync.

Vsync input lag (I think) is down to how vsync will delay a frame to suit the fps and refresh, if a frame is delayed what's happening on screen vs your input generates lag. It could be mantle is more efficient in delaying frames.

Caporegime
Vsync by definition introduces input lag. I'd imagine it's just not as perceivable on Mantle for whatever reason.

Us FPS dinosaurs would spot it a mile off though :p. DX or Mantle! :)

Shanks might be a good person to check. He's like you and insists on gaming without vsync at 120hz. Shanks get on it. Prove me and brains ain't mad. Mantle has zero input lag!

Back
Top Bottom