• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Caporegime
Oh btw, these results are very accurate . You see Dice and Johan Andersson implemented FCAT into Battlefield 4. So when i post my benchmarks (PG Tips as well) this is using the in game benchmarking method. So its about as accurate and consistent as you get afaik. The lower stuttering MS you see, the better the experience. This is why when it comes to multi gpu Mantle is in a league of its own...at least until DX12 gets here anyway.

Source
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...eld-4-Mantle-CrossFire-Early-Performance-FCAT

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think you got my point, Matt.

There are other ways of measuring it sure. Not saying this is the only way, but it can give a good indicator of consistent performance and minimal variance. Going on looks and how it feels is all well and good, but it doesn't provide as much usefulness in a bench thread like this.

Caporegime
I don't think you got my point, Matt.

Edit: oh you're talking multi-GPU. I thought we were talking single GPU. Never mind.

Of course, i made that pretty clear from the start. Single gpu will always give a consistent performance generally as its only one gpu outputting frames. If there is stuttering on a single gpu, its usually either a driver or game issue. When you throw two gpu's into the mix, you can add an API issue to that list as well.

Suspended
Oh btw, these results are very accurate . You see Dice and Johan Andersson implemented FCAT into Battlefield 4. So when i post my benchmarks (PG Tips as well) this is using Nvidia's FCAT method. So its about as accurate and consistent as you get. The lower stuttering MS you see, the better the experience. This is why when it comes to multi gpu Mantle is in a league of its own...at least until DX12 gets here anyway.

Source
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...eld-4-Mantle-CrossFire-Early-Performance-FCAT

FCAT was created by Nvidia to show how Nvidia cards were at the time smoother than AMD, which they were in some games like Skyrim.
Its forced AMD to address the subject.
AMD actually agreed it was a problem.
I think we can say thanks to Nvidia for highlighting a problem and forcing AMD to fix it.

FCAT was good enough for Nvidia and all those using it and its results to make a point, so its good enough now.

Soldato
FLA Calc won't load for me. The circle just keeps spinning after double clicking the .exe.
Fraps work with mantle?

Oh, I don't play BF4 much, but Mantle seems to be working pretty well with 79xx now, though I'm pretty sure the vram thing rears it's head after a map or two.
DX11 seems to be a lot slower than I remember it.

Caporegime
FLA Calc won't load for me. The circle just keeps spinning after double clicking the .exe.
Fraps work with mantle?

Oh, I don't play BF4 much, but Mantle seems to be working pretty well with 79xx now, though I'm pretty sure the vram thing rears it's head after a map or two.
DX11 seems to be a lot slower than I remember it.

You might need net framework petey, maybe 3.5 or something. Try running it as admin too.

Fraps does not work with Mantle. Its perfoverlay.framefilelogenable or the highway at the moment im afraid.

Suspended
You might need net framework petey, maybe 3.5 or something. Try running it as admin too.

Fraps does not work with Mantle. Its perfoverlay.framefilelogenable or the highway at the moment im afraid.

I was in the middle of typing out a response when i heard *Blung Blung* from Mozela Thunderbird, Matt beat me to it.

I must be getting old :eek:

Soldato
Of course, i made that pretty clear from the start. Single gpu will always give a consistent performance generally as its only one gpu outputting frames. If there is stuttering on a single gpu, its usually either a driver or game issue. When you throw two gpu's into the mix, you can add an API issue to that list as well.

Aye DX isn't the greatest at multi-GPU so not surprised there. I'm still skeptical on this magical mantle increase in smoothness when talking single GPU but until I can get my hands on a Mantle enabled GPU and run it side by side with my own set up I can't comment further.

Edit: to be clear I know that AMD Mantle is smoother than AMD DX but I need to see how AMD Mantle is against nVidia DX. As after all, graphs and what not are OK but only something which is perceptible really makes a difference to experience.

Soldato
From HardOcp who were big on Crossfire being a stutter fest. All games tested in DX.

" Let’s talk about smoothness in gameplay in CrossFire versus SLI. With the AMD R9 290X series AMD fully supports Frame Pacing in Eyefinity and 4K. This option is enabled by default. Our feedback on this technology is that Frame Pacing works well to reduce choppiness and create a smooth and fluid gameplay experience with R9 290X CrossFire. We did not experience any choppiness or stuttering with R9 290X CrossFire like we do with the previous generation. There isn’t much to say on this topic anymore because with R9 290X CrossFire it just works, and it does a good job at it.

We only experienced one stuttering situation and that was with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SLI in Far Cry 3 at 4K. This could simply be a bug, but we did experience it, and it did affect the in-game settings we were able to play at. Overall, the smoothness between SLI and CrossFire in every game seems to be on par now. We have no major complaints."

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/01/26/xfx_r9_290x_double_dissipation_edition_crossfire_review/11#.U3uCeijcgnw

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tbh, regarding smoothness, my personal opinion is that bf4 is just too badly broken to be a reputable test for single or multi gpu, mantle or DX. Take bf3 and bfbc2, earlier versions of frostbite yes. I played both with sli 470's, 670 in single card and sli configurations and bf3 with a single 780. Both games ran flawlessly under DX, perfectly smooth. The only time i had issues was with sli 670's and a 3570k cpu, (separate known i5 bottleneck issue altogether). In bf3 i have to drop mouse dpi way down to 400 as the game runs so well. Bf4 on the other hand is a stuttering mess even on the lowest settings, i can run it maxed and the fps are very good, (ave 90 depending on map) but even at fps as high as this, if it wasnt for a frame display on screen, youd think it was running at no more than 25 fps.

Soldato
OP
From HardOcp who were big on Crossfire being a stutter fest. All games tested in DX.

" Let’s talk about smoothness in gameplay in CrossFire versus SLI. With the AMD R9 290X series AMD fully supports Frame Pacing in Eyefinity and 4K. This option is enabled by default. Our feedback on this technology is that Frame Pacing works well to reduce choppiness and create a smooth and fluid gameplay experience with R9 290X CrossFire. We did not experience any choppiness or stuttering with R9 290X CrossFire like we do with the previous generation. There isn’t much to say on this topic anymore because with R9 290X CrossFire it just works, and it does a good job at it.

We only experienced one stuttering situation and that was with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SLI in Far Cry 3 at 4K. This could simply be a bug, but we did experience it, and it did affect the in-game settings we were able to play at. Overall, the smoothness between SLI and CrossFire in every game seems to be on par now. We have no major complaints."

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/01/26/xfx_r9_290x_double_dissipation_edition_crossfire_review/11#.U3uCeijcgnw

I would wager stuttering in crysis 3 @ 4k with ti's is likely down to hitting the vram wall rather then frame pacing issues.

Smoothness is dependant on user perception, you don't know how bad it is until you've tried better kind of situation. Similar things were said of gsync, in that what you would have classed as smooth before using it simply wouldn't be acceptable after exposure to it.

Soldato

That's kind of tangential to the point I'm making. They aren't directly comparing or measuring the two. In reviews like that they won't have the nVidia set up next to the AMD set up and be comparing. Any comparisons will be from memory or by comparing data such as frame times which are but one angle of 'smoothness'.

I'm not saying AMD DX is stuttery I'm just saying potentially it isn't as stellar as nVidia DX. Perhaps.

It certainly wasn't when I tried AMD DX and Mantle side by side with my nVidia DX when I was fixing / re-building a friends PC. Mantle was about the same as nVidia DX (to the naked eye) but AMD DX was poor in comparison to both. Matt tells me this was resolved by a driver / game update though so I can't comment more recently.

Smoothness is dependant on user perception, you don't know how bad it is until you've tried better kind of situation. Similar things were said of gsync, in that what you would have classed as smooth before using it simply wouldn't be acceptable after exposure to it.

Indeed. In the same way people cannot tell the difference between 60 and 120 Hz some people have a higher tolerance to frame variance than others. My tolerance is pretty low and any variance in smoothness is noticed fairly quickly. My nVidia DX experience is pretty good overall. It isn't perfect but I don't think Mantle could improve much upon what I'm experiencing myself. Then again, my AMD set-ups have been historically good as well. CF and triple screens was a little bit hitchy in some games but nothing game breaking. It was just annoying. They fixed that as well now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yep, quite often if im quick enough to spot it with my dodgy eyesight. When you see a cpu spike it will correspond to the network icon appearing in the top right corner. I get them much less in cte, so theyre doing something right in it. Shame the servers are all dutch or us as there will always be a bit of lag on theese.

Back
Top Bottom