***The iOS 5 Thread***

Soldato
I've not got a 4S, so am doing the reminders by typing them in not through Siri... but I've still got a problem with it!

My problem with it is when I tap "Current location". It very quickly gets a location, and then saves that. Unfortunately it doesn't spend the time waiting to use GPS or anything, it just uses the highly inaccurate cellular triangulation location. e.g. it locates to a few nearby roads. I'd much rather that the reminders app waited a while to get the accurate location!

If I open maps, give it a few seconds to get the location by GPS, then go into the reminders app and set the reminder it then gets an accurate location. e.g. the exact house I'm in.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I had to return my 4S due to a dead pixel (still wating for a replacement) so I installed iOS5 on my 3GS and all I can say is WOW. It's so much faster and now holds its signal MUCH better. In the office my 3G kept dropping out and now it's spot on.

Half tempted to get a refund keep the £500 and stick with my my 2 year old 3GS. iOS 4.3 messes it up but 5 seems to have brought it back to life......hmmmm not sure what to do now.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

No it doesn't, it really does say either iMessage or Text Message.

Not here.

Message bubbles with blue say "iMessage" above.
Message bubbles with green say "Message" above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
If anyone still has problems can i suggest trying the DFU mode to do the upgrade. I was having a lot of issues, 3200 errors and msgs saying unable to upgrade phone.
Putting the phone in DFU mode it completed first time. ( Make sure you back up first)

DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode is not the same as restore mode. DFU mode bypasses the current OS installed and allows you to upgrade or downgrade your OS. If you are getting errors trying to restore in iTunes, DFU mode is very likely for you.

DFU mode is not recovery mode. Recovery mode has a picture that says connect to iTunes. In DFU mode, the iPhone screen backlight is not even on and the display is blank. If you have anything on your display you are not in DFU mode.

Extract save you googling it.

This is how to achieve DFU mode. You can do it on every phone:

Method 1)

•Attach the phone to the pc
•Turn the phone off
•Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
•Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
•At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.
Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.

Soldato
And received messages, i or SMS are.....? :p

If you have sent an iMessage you will have a blue bubble and if the reply is an iMessage, then it will be directly below it. If the reply is not an iMessage, there will be a thin dividing line and it will state 'Text Message.

It works the same for SMS, if you send one you will have a green bubble, if the reply is SMS, it will just be directly below, if not, there will be a thin dividing line and it will say 'iMessage'

Soldato
In reminders I wish it gave you the option to add a location from the maps.app otherwise its got to be a location from your saved contacts :(

Tried it today when I left work (York). Told it to remind me when I get home (Stockton on Tees) to have a shower. It added it to the list. It set off the reminder when I was around 2miles away from home :(

Could this be due to the accuracy of the GPS? Or is it a glitch? Or could it even be to do with the signal from network operator?

Not really that impressed with Siri. It gets most commands wrong then right!

Associate
Quick question.

My friend is about to bring her 1st iPhone round for me to set up (a new 3GS) should I put ios5 on or not???

Google is 50/50. it's brand new so battery shouldn't be an issue.

What say you ocuk?

Back
Top Bottom