Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
The iPhone 7's are expensive. They do not sell cheap. They are not a cheap company.

They have plenty of money in the bank. They don't care.

But saying that 919 for the top of the range iPhone 7 plus is way too much though..

..where is my money..?!!

First time the price has gone up? I'm pretty sure my 3G cost me £399.

Yep, my 3GS cost me the same, after the iPhone 5 prices shot up.

Exchange rate or not you know exactly where the iPhone prices are going and its not down. I like to see how much a new IPhone will cost in 3 years time.

The same people will take out the silly expensive contracts, sign up to a heavy 0% interest free credit card to justify to themselves its worth it.

In a country where many people are upto their eyeballs in debt still.

Last edited:
It's gone up a few times.

Now not sure wether to get one. Probably will end up getting one but hardly a step up from 6s+.

I'll reserve one anyway tomorrow morning for pickup. Hope it wasn't like the farce last year whereby it really felt they were falsifying that the unit was sold out in store.

I think the iPhone 7 is 12 month the iPhone 7plus is 20 month need this clarifying

I thought they were both based on a 20 month deal and £49 upfront.

Only after month 11 you get a shiny new phone. You are also paying for Apple are right out the box too.

So with the upgrade programme
128gb 7plus £49 up front then £44.45 x 20 = £938

Which is really the same as the list price of £819 + £119 for AppleCare = £938

The only benefit I can see is free finance and a new phone after 11 months.

Speaking of a price hike, anyone else spotted the £10 they've stuck on the official cases and docks? 6S+ leather case is now £49.99 whereas Tuesday it was £39.99. Their dock is also £49.99. It wasn't that before the 7 announcement.

By the time you've paid for 30 months you'll have handed back your 7+ and have a fully paid for 8+ or have handed that back and have use of a part paid for 9+.

Hence

It's a great plan if you always upgrade every year or always pay the full 20 months. Otherwise you're out of pocket sooner or later.

By the time you'd fully paid for the 8, you'd have paid 22 months extra. By the 8s, 33 months extra. By the 9, 44 months extra (it's actually more, because each new plan requires the initial £49 payment). The longer you stay in the program, the more expensive it becomes to stop upgrading. You're just leasing an expensive phone for the first 12 months of each new plan, with nothing of value at the end of it when you get the new phone that you eventually decide to keep.

No you're not because if you don't upgrade you still have a phone at the end of the 20 months which you can sell. It's only because you have to take AppleCare that it's more expensive but then you might buy that anyway.

That's exactly what I said? If you don't upgrade, it's just a 20 month 0% hire purchase agreement with discounted AppleCare included, which is great. Similarly if you already upgrade every year anyway, then it removes the hassle of eBay/recycling sites/selling privately and you're effectively only paying £49 + 11x £x for the latest and great iPhone every year. If you ever stop upgrading though...

It's essentially a lease for 12 months, costing a minimum of £416.95.

Think of it like hire purchase for a car, except you decide half way through to hand the car back to the finance company, who then wipe the remaining balance BUT only on the condition that you sign up to a new HP on a new car.

If you upgrade early and then stop upgrading, you're paying a premium for the privilege. That premium is at least £416.95, or 69% of the total cost of the phone (using the cheapest iPhone 7 as an example).

If you'd bought the original phone outright, the upgrade premium would be however much you lose (depreciation) selling the old iPhone compared to the price you originally paid. This is likely to be much less than £416.95/69% of the original value, as iPhones retain their value reasonably well.

Upgrading through the Apple plan in this way could work out hundreds of £s more expensive in real terms.

Last edited:
I thought they were both based on a 20 month deal and £49 upfront.

Only after month 11 you get a shiny new phone. You are also paying for Apple are right out the box too.

So with the upgrade programme
128gb 7plus £49 up front then £44.45 x 20 = £938

Which is really the same as the list price of £819 + £119 for AppleCare = £938

The only benefit I can see is free finance and a new phone after 11 months.

They're hoping that people who take advantage of the offer purely for the interest free credit, intending to just pay off the phone over 20 months, will get suckered into upgrading a year down the line.

Lol, well I won't be buying one. £919 for the top end one? Seriously? Nearly a grand for a phone?

I honestly think my 18 month old s6 is a better phone.

I'll wait and see what the s8 has to offer before considering a new phone.

It's 11 months for both phones - it's only a forced 20 months on the cheaper monthly plan that doesn't include AC+.

It's a really good deal and it kinda has to be - in the U.K. I guess most people still buy from a carrier and Apple would prefer you to go direct to them - this will really encourage this.

No it's 20 months on all models. You have the option to upgrade after 11 months but the 20 month contract starts again.

Don't forget by the time you add in a case, apple care, potentially your own wireless headphones ( as we know the sound quality out of the earbuds will be dreaful, plus only 5 hours before they need charging) - you potentially way over £1000 for a phone. MENTAL!!

Looks lovely and everything but asking nearly a grand for the top end phone is completely nuts!

Even £599 for the bottom of the range is wild pricing!!

I'm going with a black 128 7. Like the look of the jet black but I can't see it resisting scratches well and my phones typically get used for 3 years.

The finance is only good if you don't upgrade or if you will forever to infinite upgrade.

Best way is either pay outright or do the deal but don't upgrade. Obviously will impact any mortgage affordability calculations etc, albeit marginally.

I can't quite believe the price of these phones vs say a Samsung s7
It's really quite impressive how Apple have managed to keep such a big profit margin and still sell something very similar to an older model.
I wonder how much they could charge and people would still pay?

Back
Top Bottom