Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Tempted by the Upgrade Program but then I saw

A valid photo ID.
Make sure you bring along your UK driving licence, or passport.

Still on a paper driving license and passport has expired. Do we know if this means I'll have to wait until I move?

I am going for the iPhone upgrade program as I always get the iPhone each year and it seems a good deal to me. So is it a pain in the morning to setup and secure a phone? What happened last year?

Looking at the prices to pay via the Upgrade program + a sim only deal, I'd be no better off than if I just stick with Three and upgrade with them....

That's if you want to stick with Three. Many people like shopping around each year for the best SIM-only deals so obviously going with Apple makes this easier.

Given how many people are still too stupid to even realise that their contract is subsidising the handset and think they're genuinely being given a "free" upgrade every two years, I fail to see how such people are going to stand any chance wrapping their brains around this upgrade programme.

Tempted by the Upgrade Program but then I saw

Still on a paper driving license and passport has expired. Do we know if this means I'll have to wait until I move?

So you basically have no valid photo ID? I'd sort that out if I were you, either by getting a photocard driving licence or renewing your passport. Not having any form of photo ID will be a pain in some situations.

Given how many people are still too stupid to even realise that their contract is subsidising the handset and think they're genuinely being given a "free" upgrade every two years, I fail to see how such people are going to stand any chance wrapping their brains around this upgrade programme.

Apple's big mistake was calling it an upgrade program, kiss, they should have called it 0% interest with an 11 month buyback option.

That's if you want to stick with Three. Many people like shopping around each year for the best SIM-only deals so obviously going with Apple makes this easier.

Looking at most SIM only deals, any ones with a decent amount of Data you're looking at paying £20-25 at a minimum.

Add in the cost of a 128GB iPhone 7 Plus at £45, you're now looking at paying £70 a month to essentially rent a phone. Whereas I'm now paying £56 and the phone will be mine at the end of it...

Now obviously no-one knows the prices of the new tariffs yet, but unless Three hike them up to the point of I'm like F this, then I can't see a reason why you'd want to do the upgrade system here in the UK.

When apple introduced the ugp did a lot of bombasts shout "that's like leasing a phone and throwing away the equity" and the idea stuck?

It totally isn't, the "scam" from apples point of view is that they sell phones at retail to customers who would normally have gone to network contracts who apple sold the phones to at a substantial discount and the networks got the dosh.

It is clearly the way to buy if you would likely buy ac+ and don't want to drop seven hundred to a thousand pounds in one go.

Last edited:
Add in the cost of a 128GB iPhone 7 Plus at £45, you're now looking at paying £70 a month to essentially rent a phone. Whereas I'm now paying £56 and the phone will be mine at the end of it...

£70 over 20 months and £56 over 24 months differ by only £56 in total.

Also I doubt your phone contract allows you to upgrade to the latest phone after one year.

does look really nice but i still dont think i can justify the price for the jet black which is what i would want

was a lot of technical nonsense in the presentation yesterday and when you take that away its just a new design and still doesnt offer anything different to the competitors

think i need a longer term review before committing.

or to atleast see what google offer later in the month

£70 over 20 months and £56 over 24 months differ by only £56 in total.

Also I doubt your phone contract allows you to upgrade to the latest phone after one year.

You can't look at it like that. You have to take 56*4 off. Unless you assume you'll be out of contract for 4 months.

My galaxy s7edge will cost me 400+11*24 over 24 months
I get it if you are Apple crazy, or money doesn't matter. That's fine. But no way could I justify 70 when I pay around 30

I just feel the dropping of the headphone jack is motivated by the generation of a new revenue stream rather than innovation.

Those airpods seem to be hideously overpriced.

a lot of hype about how good their new bluetooth chip is but would have to see some good tests to believe after seeing how much they hyped the age old machining processes of anodizing and polishing :p

It'd be nice if they let you dump down a larger deposit to reduce the monthly payments. It's almost £50 pcm for the 256GB 7+ and you'd still need to add the cost of your own sim plan.. that takes the true cost of ownership to over £65 pcm for even the best sim deals.

Back
Top Bottom