Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
What people don't seem to understand with the upgrade program is that it's a 20 month agreement. You're just restarting the 20 month agreement every year, meaning eventually, at some point, you'll have to pay the 20 month cost, so you'll pay more.

How else would Apple possibly make any money?

The 20 month cost is the same as paying full price for the phone and ac and as you get to keep the phone what difference does it make?

What people don't seem to understand with the upgrade program is that it's a 20 month agreement. You're just restarting the 20 month agreement every year, meaning eventually, at some point, you'll have to pay the 20 month cost, so you'll pay more.

1. You pay the first 12 months of payments, then initiate the upgrade
  2. You give your "old" handset to Apple for receipt of the "new" one
  3. They sell your old handset as "refurbished"
  4. You restart your payments
  5. Repeat from 1. ad infinitum

Essentially, Apple corners you for another 20 months whilst selling your old phone to someone that doesn't want the latest and greatest = profit

If you chose to leave the 20 months run then Apple still gets full price for the handset, except you keep it at the end of the term.

Thats not the case at all.

Apple make money on the fact you are buying a phone from them...

The upgrade program is essentially doing the work of selling your phone from last year to pay for the new one.

People can rationalise it how they like and say you are leasing the phone for a year because you give it back but its identical to if you bought the phone each year and then sold it to fund the next years.

In both situations if you stopped replacing your phone you would end up paying for the balance of the final iPhone.

If you took up the agreement and simply let it run for 20 months you are just paying the exact value of the iphone and applecare+.

If you wanted to you could do the upgrade program and simply sell the phone next september and use that money to pay off the rest of the balance and then start afresh.

I really wanted to like this but I just don't.

I've got a Note 7 now (after a long line of iPhones) and find the screen is much better as well as being 'always-on' which works great with my wireless charging stand. The apps are also much better than they were years ago when I first tried Android plus sometimes have features their iPhone versions do not. I also have a Fitbit as the new Apple Watch seems to offer nothing new and is still fuggly, plus the Fitbit App is the best app out there for fitness tracking.

All my headphones/earphones are wireless, I have to say the Bluetooth transmitter on my 6s+ was better than my Note 7 but there are workarounds.

So no real reason to get an iPhone 7 at all, unless iOS 10 is totally amazing, which I doubt. My wife has my 6S+ so will give the new OS a spin when its released.

Now I only hope my Note 7 doesn't blow up...

P.S. I still love the iPad though, got a Pro and Mini 4, plus a 5K iMac and MacBook Pro so hardly an Android fanboi!

Last edited:
Not Impressed by Apple's new kit this time and the price's wow. I paid 789 for my 256GB Ipad Pro 9". They want 900+ for the 256GB Iphone 7 Plus. No thanks Apple.

Going to ride this one out till this time next year, I know leaving the Euro Union has killed exchange rates but since when did everyone in Britain become so Rich ..?

Not Impressed by Apple's new kit this time and the price's wow. I paid 789 for my 256GB Ipad Pro 9". They want 900+ for the 256GB Iphone 7 Plus. No thanks Apple.

Going to ride this one out till this time next year, I know leaving the Euro Union has killed exchange rates but since when did everyone in Britain become so Rich ..?

They haven't suddenly become rich. The people that can afford it will do and those that can't won't. If I can't afford something I won't generally go on a forum to discuss the fact I can't afford it.

It gives a bit of a skewed impression about how many people will be buying it.

I don't think you understand how it works - the end result is the same whether you do this or buy outright and sell privately to help fund the next phone.

I've just done the sums and you're effectively paying Apple £50 a year extra for every year you upgrade, if you eventually stop upgrading compared to buying outright and selling every year.

That assumes that the entry level stays at £599, you can sell it for £400 and pay £50 eBay and PayPal fees, and if you bought outright you paid £119 every year for AppleCare too. If you can sell it for more, or privately without fees, you're losing £100+ every year.

For example, if you sign up now for the iPhone 7, upgrade twice to the iPhone 8, it'll have cost you £300 more overall.

It's a great plan if you upgrade every year, forever, or only ever pay the 20 monthly payments, otherwise you start paying more one way or another.

However there is nothing to prevent you selling the handset and then paying off the remainder of your agreement and then entering a brand new one either.

Indeed. This would make more sense than upgrading through this programme. You'd be saving the amount I calculated above per year, plus getting the £50 discount on AppleCare every year.

Last edited:
They haven't suddenly become rich. The people that can afford it will do and those that can't won't. If I can't afford something I won't generally go on a forum to discuss the fact I can't afford it.

It gives a bit of a skewed impression about how many people will be buying it.

STFU - I can afford it I choose not to and I disagree with the price hike. Your skewed perspective of how you read my post give a skewed perspective. :rolleyes:

People can rationalise it how they like and say you are leasing the phone for a year because you give it back but its identical to if you bought the phone each year and then sold it to fund the next years.

It's not, I just did the sums and it works out £50 more expensive (assuming £50 fees on a £400 eBay sale, and a £599 entry level price) for every year that you upgrade. If you sell the older phones for more, or privately without fees, you lose more. By the time the iPhone 9 is released, you could have ended up paying £500+ more overall.

For more expensive models, I assume the difference would be even greater.

The sensible thing (if possible) is to pay off the payment plan every year after month 11, so that you can sell the phone yourself and sign up again on a new 20 month plan for the next one. Then you'll get AppleCare for £70 every year too.

Last edited:
:confused: not sure what prompted that response. fez never said anything about your ability to afford it? Either way, relax.

Lol are you expecting Apple to cover a significant fall in the exchange rate?

Lol No! Think about it in relative term's a 5.5 inch phone costing more than a 9" tablet.

Apple do it and will keep doing it, I buy their stuff and enjoy it. But this wagon of small negated upgrade's which lest face it other makers have had for 18-24 months plus. And apple sell it as revolutionary it's becoming a joke.

I'm just saying I don't dig it that's all.

It's not, I just did the sums and it works out £50 more expensive (assuming £50 fees on a £400 eBay sale, and a £599 entry level price) for every year that you upgrade. If you sell the older phones for more, or privately without fees, you lose more. By the time the iPhone 9 is released, you could have ended up paying £500+ more overall.

The sensible thing (if possible) is to pay off the payment plan every year after month 11, so that you can sell the phone yourself and sign up again on a new 20 month plan for the next one. Then you'll get AppleCare for £70 every year too.

Its already been mentioned that you could save by selling privately but that means risking Ebay etc - selling a phone can be a nightmare so dealing direct with Apple would be preferable.

Lol No! Think about it in relative term's a 5.5 inch phone costing more than a 9" tablet.

Apple do it and will keep doing it, I buy their stuff and enjoy it. But this wagon of small negated upgrade's which lest face it other makers have had for 18-24 months plus. And apple sell it as revolutionary it's becoming a joke.

I'm just saying I don't dig it that's all.

They have put ALL their prices up by around 10%.

Amazons newest Kindle is going to be $90/£90 :mad:

Back
Top Bottom