Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
But you'll have still paid however much (£416.95 minimum) for leasing (effectively) the previous phones with nothing tangible to show for it. It's still better to buy outright in the first place and sell it to fund the next model.

Apple are relying on people doing this to make money. They make nothing extra from people who pay the full 20 months, and lose a little (probably) from people who upgrade every year. People who pay more than half the value of a phone, and then give that phone back for nothing (for Apple to then sell as refurbished or whatever) AND agree to pay full price for another new phone... Cha-ching!

I don't think you understand how it works - the end result is the same whether you do this or buy outright and sell privately to help fund the next phone.

You might make more selling privately but with the upgrade program you are paying slightly more to completely de-risk getting rid of the old phone. eBay vs Apple - not a tough choice.

It's going to be interesting to see what third-parties do in terms of headphones. I've got a pair of Bose QC20i noise cancelling headphones. They're great on the tube but the battery lump is a pain in the arse (both carrying it and charging it). A pair powered via Lightning would be awesome.

It'd be nice if they let you dump down a larger deposit to reduce the monthly payments. It's almost £50 pcm for the 256GB 7+ and you'd still need to add the cost of your own sim plan.. that takes the true cost of ownership to over £65 pcm for even the best sim deals.

I'm just aghast at how much people are prepared to commit to each month and for such protracted periods for something as frivolous as a phone.

If you can't afford a £900+ phone without resorting to paying in installments, whether interest free or otherwise, frankly I'd be asking yourself whether you really should be buying it at all.

I'm just aghast at how much people are prepared to commit to each month and for such protracted periods for something as frivolous as a phone.

If you can't afford a £900+ phone without resorting to paying in installments, whether interest free or otherwise, frankly I'd be asking yourself whether you really should be buying it at all.

If the option is there, and you aren't paying any more, what does it matter? :confused:

Do you hold the same view for people on Contracts with phone line providers? I've bought my last 3 iPhones (4/5/6) outright but this Upgrade program seems like a no brainer to someone like me.

Has also increased from 16GB to 32GB though.

Ipad Pro always started from 32gb, there has never been a 16gb model.

That was the justification for the pros starting from £499 instead of £399 like previous 9.7 models. Apple are getting greedy now, exchange rates or not.

Last edited:

I've personally always bought the handset sim free and shoved in my Three "one plan" sim which I have for £15 pcm. However, I can see why a 0% payment plan appeals to most... spread the payment out without dropping a grand on the latest phone and upgrade on the annual cycle.

There's just something about paying £40/50 a month that my head wouldn't be able to handle, so I'd still choose to get it outright if I was buying now. I tend to keep the phone until I'm ready to upgrade (I'm on a 128GB 6 atm)

If the option is there, and you aren't paying any more, what does it matter? :confused:

Do you hold the same view for people on Contracts with phone line providers? I've bought my last 3 iPhones (4/5/6) outright but this Upgrade program seems like a no brainer to someone like me.

People who fork out a fortune every month on two year contracts for the latest phone? Yes, I do.

There are very few things in life which you generally *have* to resort to credit in order to pay for. Houses and cars are the two obvious examples. There may be other instances where you need something urgently and can't afford it without using credit, for example a new boiler or fridge-freezer in a hurry.

What I don't understand is the readiness with which people take out credit agreements for relatively frivolous luxuries. The latest £900+ phone is not an essential purchase and, if you have to resort to a credit agreement in order to buy it, I think you need to re-evaluate your finances.

Just my 2p but I can see why so many people are mired in debt with attitudes such as these.

Ipad Pro always started from 32gb, there has never been a 16gb model.

Ah ok fair enough, I was on about the Air 2.

I'm undecided between the 7 and 7 Plus. Has anyone gone from one size to the other? I've got a bumper on my current 6 but feel I could go bigger with the 7 Plus. In addition, it includes better battery life, presumably more memory and better camera.

But you'll have still paid however much (£416.95 minimum) for leasing (effectively) the previous phones with nothing tangible to show for it. It's still better to buy outright in the first place and sell it to fund the next model.

Apple are relying on people doing this to make money. They make nothing extra from people who pay the full 20 months, and lose a little (probably) from people who upgrade every year. People who pay more than half the value of a phone, and then give that phone back for nothing (for Apple to then sell as refurbished or whatever) AND agree to pay full price for another new phone... Cha-ching!

However there is nothing to prevent you selling the handset and then paying off the remainder of your agreement and then entering a brand new one either.

That to me is probably the best/smartest option if you are using this option as you will essentially be losing circa 100 on the selling value you probably could get for the phone provided you've kept it in great condition.

I think if I make the switch to be honest I'd probably just buy outright.

I have bought my last 2 iphones outright but I would rather have £800 in the bank than pay it out all at once. This way your outgoings are the same each month for 20 months and it doesn't cost you any more.

Do you pay for your gas, electricity and water all at once at the end of the year?

If they charged any interest on it I would agree but they aren't. Its just allowing you flexibility to pay your phone off monthly in the same way you do your contract without being tied into a 2 year plan with any carrier.

What people don't seem to understand with the upgrade program is that it's a 20 month agreement. You're just restarting the 20 month agreement every year, meaning eventually, at some point, you'll have to pay the 20 month cost, so you'll pay more.

How else would Apple possibly make any money?

Back
Top Bottom