Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters

DiG

DiG

Associate
So not having purchased on launch day before, if I order for delivery is it usually delivered on launch day or a few days later? In which case I'll go down to the store and pick up instead

Soldato
So not having purchased on launch day before, if I order for delivery is it usually delivered on launch day or a few days later? In which case I'll go down to the store and pick up instead

My past couple of iPhones have been delivered on launch day.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
You do realise you get an adapter to use a standard audio jack in the box?

Adapters in the past (Nokia, Sony Ericsson, 2.5 to 3.5 etc) failed for that very reason - nobody wants another accessory to accessory damaging socket, breaking in their pocket or constantly forgotten on the dash of the car. Because manufacturers screwed up streaming profiles for years most cars have aux in for audio - and now millions of commuters around the world can't charge and listen to music in the same time. Same goes for long distance nav/charging cradles, same goes for HiFi, and so on, so forth.

As far as tech goes, dropping innocent headphone jack was as dumb of a move as turning Mac Pro into iBin - the device lost one of its major primary purposes. It's almost as idiotic and unnecessary as if they removed screen because "surely by now you all have Apple Watch you can use as remote screen, for those of you that still live in previous decade, here's clunky lightening to HDMI adaptor, knock yourself out. Btw, this move allowed us to make the phone shatterproof"

Soldato
Think I'll skip this... Almost tempted me away from Android but the reality is I'd have to pay an additional £280 for a pair of BT headphones which have comparable sound quality to my £150 wired Sony's.
Does not compute. :(

Soldato
This upgrade stuff doesn't make sense.

Let's go back a year and see what would have happened had it been available then.

Say you bought an iPhone 6S 128GB at £699. Total including AC+ would thus be £818 which would be £49 up front then 20 payments of £38.45.

If you upgraded after 11 months, you'd have paid out £49 + 11 x £38.45 = £471.95

Now say you just bought the phone outright with AC+ for £818. This year you sell it to a recycling company who are currently offering £405. Again hassle free sale and you can keep the charger and accessories. You've now paid out £413 or £58.95 less than via the upgrade programme.

What am I missing?

Soldato

It'll be delivered on launch day. For me this is a pain as I'll be in different places at different times of the day so would rather just reserve and collect it from the store at a time of my choosing.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This upgrade stuff doesn't make sense.

Let's go back a year and see what would have happened had it been available then.

Say you bought an iPhone 6S 128GB at £699. Total including AC+ would thus be £818 which would be £49 up front then 20 payments of £38.45.

If you upgraded after 11 months, you'd have paid out £49 + 11 x £38.45 = £471.95

Now say you just bought the phone outright with AC+ for £818. This year you sell it to a recycling company who are currently offering £405. Again hassle free sale and you can keep the charger and accessories. You've now paid out £413 or £58.95 less than via the upgrade programme.

What am I missing?

I imagine it would better to take out the interest free over 20 month plan, and if you do want to upgrade when the new phone is launched you can probably trade in the 7 for more than the outstanding balance on the loan.

iPhone 7+ 128gb is £49 upfront and 20 x £38.50 = £819.
After 11 months you will have paid £472.50 leaving £346.50.

I'm pretty confident that in August next year the iPhone 7+ 128gb will worth quite a bit more than £346.50 (I got £380 for my iPhone 6s 64b last week via recycle website). Last week an iPhone 6s+ 128GB was recyclable for £440.

This is what I'm leaning towards. It is no different really to buying the handset outright and upgrading next year, the cost is the same just spread.

Soldato
I agree it looked nice but I much prefer the 5 or 6. I never broke my 4 but still rather have metal. 4 was a fingerprint magnet (so looked bad normally anyway) and was slippery.

I was totally underwhelmed by the 5 and thought it was a real step back from the 4/4S in terms of design. It was larger and thinner yes but utterly bland.

Soldato
Exactly - the point I was making is that, even taking the easy option of flogging the old phone to a recycling company will net you significantly more than Apple's programme. If you take the time to sell it "properly" on somewhere like AVF you'll be even better off.

Basically the upgrade programme only makes sense if you can't afford to buy the phone outright and need the credit arrangement, in which case I'm back to my original argument that you should maybe re-evaluate your financial priorities :p

Soldato
The 4/4S certainly looked amazing sat on a table but actually holding / using one was a horrible experience. Current design is a pleasure to use !

Man of Honour
8:01am

But be prepared to be mashing F5 still at 8:03am and reopening the Apple Store app over and over, also be prepared to refresh this thread several times to see people crying "OMG WHY ISN'T IT UP YET?". Also, you'll likely see some douche claim to have successfully preordered at 7:52am, then never post in the thread again

Soldato
The Mrs would normally upgrade but the dropping of the 3.5mm has changed her mind, and she sticking with the 6s until it dies, or something better comes along that doesn't tie her audio audio output devices to a proprietary connector.

She did ask a very poignant question, how come they didn't just move to USB-C like her Mac, the only devices in the world that will use the lightning connector are idevices, and even then only 2 ranges.

Having to use an adapter with a set of decent headphones is so inelegant, and upapple like, at least if they used USB-C they could claim they were offering the connector off the future, and it doesn't stink of cornering people to buy idevice compatible only accessories.

Soldato
Or you could just use the adaptor?

I mean, it's annoying but certainly not a deal breaker for me and one of my main phone uses is as a music player

I listen to music a fair bit at work and enjoy the "luxury" of being able to charge my phone whilst doing so.
If it turns out the 7 has an incredible battery life as a result of losing the 3.5mm port then happy days but it appears the trade-off has resulted in a vibrating home button and an extra speaker.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Exactly - the point I was making is that, even taking the easy option of flogging the old phone to a recycling company will net you significantly more than Apple's programme. If you take the time to sell it "properly" on somewhere like AVF you'll be even better off.

Basically the upgrade programme only makes sense if you can't afford to buy the phone outright and need the credit arrangement, in which case I'm back to my original argument that you should maybe re-evaluate your financial priorities :p

No the upgrade programme makes no sense for anyone really. As I mentioned in my post and what you also eluded to, is that it makes sense to do the 0% iPhone Payments plan, not the upgrade plan.

As for 0% vs outright, some people like to spread the cost and some like to buy outright, since there is no overall cost difference it's not about affordability really.

Back
Top Bottom