Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
According to this article, the sensor size on the 7 may be bigger than the 7+, does this potentially mean standard 28mm pictures will actually be better quality and perform better in low light?

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-7-plus-1328075

iPhone 7 Plus camera and battery

Hottest facts:

Dual 12MP rear cameras
Improved 7MP front snapper
The camera is one of the biggest changes on this year's Plus, and is also very different to what you'll find on the standard iPhone 7, as where that phone has a single-lens snapper, here you get a 12MP dual-lens one.

With an f/1.8 aperture, the snapper should be able to capture more light than the iPhone 6S Plus, but note that the 1/3-inch sensor size is smaller than the iPhone 7's, so it's unlikely to fare as well in low-light situations. This was presumably a necessary compromise in order to stick an extra lens in.

A leak says the sensor on the 7 may be 1/2.6"

Last edited:
Soldato
Was up for the 7 Plus 128GB jet black... until I saw the price :'(

Would a US purchased iPhone work in the UK in the exact same way? (in terms of network, AppStore etc)... I'm assuming they would and the only potential issue is repairs?!

Actually screw this.... even though i'd be saving about £200, it looks like it's a total minefield regarding the various US models working on the UK data spectrums..... ARGH!!!

Soldato
Considering I have the IPhone 6S Plus, I don't think I need to even consider upgrading to a new IPhone yet. Maybe when the IPhone 8 comes around...

If I was getting one though, it would have to be the Jet Black one.

Soldato
For me, the new thing that the iPhone 7 have

New design...it looks like the old one and I am not a fan of gloss black. That video was cool for sure but I am not sure I care how they polish it to be shiny.

The Taptastic(?) home button. I only press it to go home, in fact only have the time, I have accessibility turned on so I use the software Home button half the time. (to reduce wear on the button).

Water proof, now this one i like but i've never got water damage in my phones in like 20 years so I don't think I will start now.

Wireless headphones - I can live with bluetooth, once paired, it works just the same.

Stereo speakers - I don't use my speakers, it is on silent 100% of the time.

The Wide Colour Gamut screen, this I would like, but not enough to spend £800 on.

New camera, still can't replace my DSLR and I never think about the camera on phones anyway, to me they are an afterthought compare to what I have.

I think I will skip this one, and even the 8 and see what the 9 brings.

You've got the exact same thoughts of mine - The best thing I can pull from this version of the iPhone is the waterproofing and camera - But I can buy a Lifeproof and I am totally happy with my current iPhone 6S camera.

I do think the next iteration is going to be a doozie - Rumours say they're saying to a "3-step" major iteration upgrade (if that makes sense). In that, it will change majorly every 3 iterations.

I think the next iPhone will be OLED and will have a major design change - By that time, I might be happier going to wireless headphones...

Soldato
Oh thank God, Belkin have released an adapter so we can add a port back to the phone enabling us to be able to both use wired headphones and charge our phones at the same time.

Only $40 too! Probably £40 over here, that's not too bad. And they even made a nice fancy video advertising it to make us feel better about spending even more money to use our fancy new phones as productively as we used our old ones, just like before they removed the headphone jack. So thoughtful!

Associate
Actually screw this.... even though i'd be saving about £200, it looks like it's a total minefield regarding the various US models working on the UK data spectrums..... ARGH!!!

I thought they were the same, is that not the case? I will be in Vegas a week after launch and was planning to pick one up on the cheap :(

Soldato

No it isn't - there are two models being sold in the US at launch, one version being sold by AT&T and T-Mobile only supports GSM networks, the other version supports both GSM and CDMA and is being sold by Verizon and Sprint.

Both support the same LTE bands and will work in the UK. It looks like the UK is going to get the GSM only version though.

They generally don't sell a SIM only phone in the US at launch, it usually arrives a few weeks afterwards.

Just remember that unless you're buying in one of the few states with no sales tax you need to add that to the price, and you should declare it on your return to the UK and pay VAT and duty (;)).

Soldato
I can't imagine they will make the distinction, since doing either the upgrade plan, buying outright in store or the iPhone Payments requires no payment until in store.

So do you reckon you'll just be able to pre-order as normal tomorrow morning but, when you get to the checkout, there'll be an option to collect from store?

Soldato
No it isn't - there are two models being sold in the US at launch, one version being sold by AT&T and T-Mobile only supports GSM networks, the other version supports both GSM and CDMA and is being sold by Verizon and Sprint.

Both support the same LTE bands and will work in the UK. It looks like the UK is going to get the GSM only version though.

They generally don't sell a SIM only phone in the US at launch, it usually arrives a few weeks afterwards.

Just remember that unless you're buying in one of the few states with no sales tax you need to add that to the price, and you should declare it on your return to the UK and pay VAT and duty (;)).

US cellular networks are an indescribable mess

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So do you reckon you'll just be able to pre-order as normal tomorrow morning but, when you get to the checkout, there'll be an option to collect from store?

Exactly. I doubt they will ask how you are going to pay, just that you wish to reserve a phone for launch day in store.

Associate
tbh i am really wanting wireless headphones with my 6s for now, will they be compatible with the 6s?

edit scratch that 160 quid, seriously. also any battery time they list was testing at half volume.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly. I doubt they will ask how you are going to pay, just that you wish to reserve a phone for launch day in store.

I guess we'll see. If there's an obvious option to collect it then I'll go that route, otherwise I'll revert to delivery. I find it odd that they'd allow reservations without payment to be honest.

Soldato

Ah ok - so the GSM one would work in the UK in the same way a UK one would? (I'm just thinking about when I come to eventually sell it.. I don't want to have to say "oh it'll only work on 4G with networks AB and C"

Oh but of course :D

Soldato
tbh i am really wanting wireless headphones with my 6s for now, will they be compatible with the 6s?

I was wondering this. There was speculation before the launch that the 7 might contain some new variation of bluetooth with better reliability and lower power consumption but nothing was explicitly mentioned about this. They talked about the new W1 "wonderchip" in the Airpods themselves but not whether there was anything new or different about the phone itself to improve connectivity or reduce power consumption.

Associate
edit scratch that 160 quid, seriously. also any battery time they list was testing at half volume.
It is almost certain that volume of the playback makes no influence what so ever to the playback time.

Input power to relatively sensitive headphones (which apple for sure has built exactly due to battery life reasons) is measured in milliwats or maybe fractions of milliwats.

That is almost certainly negligible compared to the bluetooth consumption.

Back
Top Bottom