The Last of Us Remake | March 28th 2023

Man of Honour
OP
Are you guys seeing any SSD activity though in task manager whilst it does that? Shader comp on mine took several mins.

I just had a 30 minute play with Environment texture quality set to HIGH from ULTRA, that lowers the VRAM use nearly 1GB and I didn't get a CTD until the 30th minute or so. So now dropping character texture quality to HIGH as well. both of these settings show as major VRAM hits. The visual screenshot showing the differences is minimal it seems so I'm fine with that. RTSS showed 9.9GB of VRAM being used just before it crashed so I guess it spikes a load of textures into VRAM maxing it out at some point resulting in the CTD.

This game for 3440x1440 with DLSS Quality requires a 16GB GFX card for sure, 12GB is not enough for everything on Ultra.

Other than that I have to say it looks/runs beautifully. mouse RAW input does feature, and the wealth of GFX options to toggle is quite frankly absurd compared to many other games that offer nowhere near as much. They have definitely put some thought into this port for PC. I am running with the pillarboxes set to minimal which gives you ultrawide cutscenes and all seems great.

I am very impressed. I am also really considering a 16GB card upgrade if this is the way things are heading, and this is with DLSS so a smaller internal render res! The visual effects are simply incredible, especially the water considering it's not ray traced.

My only complaint so far is that the game load time is quite long, I checked HWINFO64 and saw the max SSD read speed was only 100MB/s, so the game is not optimised for SSD speeds at all and I can't see any mode in the settings that might be enabled like HDD mode etc. Dead Space Remake for comparison had read speeds above 1500MB/s, and that has a sys req for a PCIe SSD respectively.

Check these out:

ounJRQg.jpg

P0ZTjr5.jpg

FmiZovl.jpg

YRLAJrT.jpg

XQ2XE8T.jpg

cQyRPlY.jpg

W6vbiVV.jpg

jSQeBT5.jpg

asSHCyb.jpg

Does it do the same after a restart?
Shader comp is only done on the first run so no worries there.

Last edited:
Soldato
it has to be installed on a proper NVME SSD. I am now using steam to move it to my NVME. So 900 mb/sec hard drive is not fast enough for this game. Gone 11% in a minute LOOL

Man of Honour
OP
it has to be installed on a proper NVME SSD. I am now using steam to move it to my NVME. So 900 mb/sec hard drive is not fast enough for this game. Gone 11% in a minute LOOL
The funny thing is the NVMe only gets utilised during shader compilation it seems. Loading the save after running the game takes 56 seconds to load the last save point! That's on an SSD that reads at 7000MB/s yet I am only seeing 100-200MB/s read speeds during loading lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine unpacked in 5mins and shaders were done in about 10 mins although my 13900k was hitting 90 deg and looked the same as it does when flat out in cinebench :cry:

The game looks absolutely stunning though and playing lovely and smooth , no nasty stutters :D Only problem is I'm still going through RE4 so will leave this be for the minute but can't wait to get stuck back in again for a 4th time :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
The amount of detailing is simply incredible, I have to repeat this again! I have to ask myself why we need ray tracing when visual effects are this good without it?!

2NZpl7e.jpg

HrDrimx.jpg

stXArVG.jpg

dR4R1Tr.jpg

vLwFbrw.jpg

I always knew way back from the PS3 days that if this ever came to PC then a photo mode would be so good to have, and rightly so, the composition possibilities throughout the entire game are a dream for those who like to snap pics like me in the the real world lol.

I did notice a quirk with the built in FPS limiter vs RTSS though, the game's FPS limiter introduces some frametime spikes as you move around regardless of scene, not major but visible on the graph. RTSS introduces zero spikes. The latency remains the same via both methods.

RTSS @ 70fps:
GeJOQ9J.jpg

In-game 70fps cap:
UZOHN1F.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The amount of detailing is simply incredible, I have to repeat this again! I have to ask myself why we need ray tracing when visual effects are this good without it?!

Ray tracing is about making the lighting as realistic as possible. Not about looking good. Normally these tend to link though as people want realistic lighting.
Ray tracing also makes designing the lighting a lot easier for devs as they don't need to build light maps for everything

Back
Top Bottom