The OcUK Relationship Counselling and Hugs Thread

Having difficulties and have been for a while. Its not my gfs fault but its hard with her new condition doing all the work and getting nothing back. I mean all the work. Had to get a cleaner as I just can't cope anymore.
If it was her fault I'd just leave. But it's medical. But it's sad. Just sad.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm a little dreading today and having to 'fake it' any more. Fortunately so far its like any other day with barely a glance in my direction. I plan on ending it this weekend if I can summon the balls...
why wait till the weekend if this is how you truly feel?
Why not last weekend?
Sorry if this come across harsh, but think you are doing more damage than good and certainly will be causing further stress if your all lovey today and ready to dump them by saturday.

Having difficulties and have been for a while. Its not my gfs fault but its hard with her new condition doing all the work and getting nothing back. I mean all the work. Had to get a cleaner as I just can't cope anymore.
Thats a brutal one to be a part of, sought any help to have a chat with someone about your concerns and well being?
Appreciate its medical and not her fault, but should not mean you suffer for the rest of time as a result.

As a single guy who has some struggles with depression and loneliness, last night sucked, today will suck but I'll get on with it and through it. Once all my business set up costs are done and I'll turn profit, I'll certainly reward myself with a gorgeous brass to hopefully kick start the confidence and when I feel ready/financially stable, I'll try to date again.

Last edited:

I can sympathise - my other half has depression, some days good, some days bad, most days just... "meh".

I'm cutting her a lot of slack at the moment because she's had a lot going on recently; started a new job about 10 months ago with awkward shifts, lost her dad in November, and is currently going through a difficult application process for a promotion to a position she really wants.

At the same time, it's really difficult for me, and just feels like everything is so very one-sided; I do the shopping and cook all the meals, do most of the housework, take care of the kids - dropping them at childcare & school, and picking them up. Playing taxi to drive her to/from the station at all hours (or to work when the train inevitably doesn't turn up). She contributes her fair share financially, but most of the time it feels like that's all. I basically feel like a single dad with a lodger :cry:.

To be honest I'm a little dreading today and having to 'fake it' any more. Fortunately so far its like any other day with barely a glance in my direction. I plan on ending it this weekend if I can summon the balls...

Agree with @sidimmu - if you're having to "fake it", then if you can make a clean break just get out ASAP. If it weren't for the kids and joint mortgage then I'd be gone already; I still love her to bits, but it's really wearing me down; Valentine's day might be tough for single people, but at least you're in a position to do something about it - it feels a lot lonelier lying in bed next to someone who shows no interest in you, than it does on your own.

Last edited:
I’m under a psychiatrist and take antipsychotic medication but that doesn’t really help with the low self esteem, low self worth and self loathing. I’ve been on antidepressants before but they didn’t really help. I wish there was a quick fix to make me feel better about myself and my dating prospects.

I’m not ugly just not attractive and I find it hard to accept the way I look. Of course I’m going to be attracted to pretty woman I’m just a normal guy but I feel I repulse them. Wouldn’t even go to a prostitute as I’d feel too unattractive.

Sorry to read all this.
I used to be similar, I'm sure many have. Low self worth, feeling you aren't good enough. But it truly is all in the head. And confidence and self worth is everything.
Depression runs deep in my family on both sides.

You really need to stop saying things from other people's perspectives who you don't know. Because it's not healthy. It's insecurity and very common unfortunately. I can see it in your posts you are judging yourself from others perspectives and placing your value on that. If you don't value yourself no one else will.

No one would have wanted me when I was bad, I wouldn't have. And no one can truly fix you unless you want to be fixed.

For me (and it's different for everyone) what helped was setting tangible measurable goals. Primarily fitness. I have gaining a pound of muscle. Taking pics of myself and comparing month to month. It also gave me structure in my life. Routine. Going to gym 5 times a week. Going to classes was great.

Its sad (that looks mattered to me to much) but making progress at the gym, made me feel better mentally, I looked better, but more, I felt I looked better. My confidence grew. I stopped caring what others thought. I became myself. All good stuff!

I started wearing clothes I wanted, I would talk to girls in my gym class, I would talk to random people. That individualism showed through. Which only encouraged it.
As a tacky example I often like what would be considered girls colours. Now I wear that because I like it. I don't care. I even like standing out.
This comes from someone who was anxious about asking for help in supermarket! Who just wore black because others did.

Counselling and anti depressants didn't help that much but took edge off. But I tried everything. Try everything! If something doesn't work, at least you know.

Counselling, diet, gym, clubs, pubs, outdoors, anything that isn't sitting alone at home.

Really, point I'm making is it has to start with you. You have to try everything. And overall you have to want to want it. You can't go to gym (as am example) because you think you should go. You have to want it.

In an ideal.world I wouldn't care about my looks so much. And actually, as my confidence came I did care less about this.

There is no magic bullet. But you have to try. You have to want to change.

Sorry for the ramblings! :D

why wait till the weekend if this is how you truly feel?
Why not last weekend?
Sorry if this come across harsh, but think you are doing more damage than good and certainly will be causing further stress if your all lovey today and ready to dump them by saturday.

Agree with @sidimmu - if you're having to "fake it", then if you can make a clean break just get out ASAP. If it weren't for the kids and joint mortgage then I'd be gone already; I still love her to bits, but it's really wearing me down; Valentine's day might be tough for single people, but at least you're in a position to do something about it - it feels a lot lonelier lying in bed next to someone who shows no interest in you, than it does on your own.

By 'fake' it I mean just not saying anything and being pleasant with one another. Nothing lovey has happened in a very long time, which is something I've raised several times before and it's not changed. I've got 2 job interviews to prep for this week, so I need to focus on that this week hence waiting till the weekend.

It felt so lonely here like you said @Haggisman so I know how that feels - but I'm at the point now where I don't even want the affection anymore because it feels wrong. There's nothing she could do turn it around from my point of view, the feelings are gone now :(. To be fair, we've both been sleepwalking into this for years, but the times we have had to turn it around haven't worked because (IMO) she's in denial about how bad it's been.

Last edited:
I can sympathise - my other half has depression, some days good, some days bad, most days just... "meh".

I'm cutting her a lot of slack at the moment because she's had a lot going on recently; started a new job about 10 months ago with awkward shifts, lost her dad in November, and is currently going through a difficult application process for a promotion to a position she really wants.

At the same time, it's really difficult for me, and just feels like everything is so very one-sided; I do the shopping and cook all the meals, do most of the housework, take care of the kids - dropping them at childcare & school, and picking them up. Playing taxi to drive her to/from the station at all hours (or to work when the train inevitably doesn't turn up). She contributes her fair share financially, but most of the time it feels like that's all. I basically feel like a single dad with a lodger :cry:.

Yes this is me.

Her condition is physical and thus hits mentally. Basically her arms are near useless. Must be something like tendons, collagen I dunno.

But yeah. No intamcy, I cook (I hate it) I clean, laundry, driving, bills, garden, walk dog etc etc.

Its all the bad bits of a relationship with none of the good. I very much feel on my own too.

Only thing that keeps me out of depression is going on my bike/kayak etc. I go on holidays alone. I don't even dare book a holiday for us due to the condition.

She contributes financially too. But holding down that job is getting difficult.

Makes you think "what's the point". It's some quasi housemate scenario. Hardest part is I know I'd be better on my own right now. I could afford everything with a paying house mate. I could go on my holidays and adventures guilt free.

But its not her fault and I don't want to break it off.

I can feel my mental state in a very slow decline. Its because deep down I'm not looking forward to the future.

On surface I'm OK. But deep down? I am just "sad" and "hopeless".

Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

What you said about a single dad with a housemate. It's identical to that. Identical. Except have a dog not kids.

Last edited:
By 'fake' it I mean just not saying anything and being pleasant with one another. Nothing lovey has happened in a very long time, which is something I've raised several times before and it's not changed. I've got 2 job interviews to prep for this week, so I need to focus on that this week hence waiting till the weekend.

It felt so lonely here like you said @Haggisman so I know how that feels - but I'm at the point now where I don't even want the affection anymore because it feels wrong. There's nothing she could do turn it around from my point of view, the feelings are gone now :(. To be fair, we've both been sleepwalking into this for years, but the times we have had to turn it around haven't worked because (IMO) she's in denial about how bad it's been.

Sounds like a post I could have written myself (except for the job interview part)!

Unfortunately kids in the equation makes it a lot more difficult.

Currently trying to arrange couples counselling - her idea after she blew up at me a couple of months ago after losing her dad, except so far I've registered and given them all my details etc., and she hasn't contacted them at all.

Again, I feel like a **** trying to hassle her to sort it, and just for feeling like this at all. We've been through some tough times together which I would have thought would have made us stronger, but it often seems there's nothing there at all from her - the hardest part is not knowing if it's just the depression, if it's just because she's so busy at the moment and from losing her dad, or if it is because she's effectively "checked out" of the relationship, and is just sticking around because I'm making life easy for her?

Edit:

I keep flipflopping between 3 courses of action:

- Maintain the status quo; adjust my expectations to solidify in my mind that we really are just housemates - in one respect I have it good, decent amount of disposable income, someone to chat to about everyday mundane crap, occasional help with the kids, etc. On the other hand - basically no chance of any intimacy, always feeling like I have someone to answer to, and a constant reminder of how much I miss who she used to be.

- Self improvement; start making a real effort to get in shape, dress nice, etc.; make her realise that if she's not going to give me the attention I need/want then maybe someone else will (I have absolutely no intention of cheating, but maybe it'll give her a kick up the **** to start making an effort herself). The problem with this being that feeling so down all the time kills any motivation.

- GTFO; Obviously the most extreme option - move out, but will worrying about money all the time and ending up a "weekend dad" actually make me happier? Kicking her out of the house would make very little logistical difference to me, considering I do everything anyway (obviously would still have a financial impact), but I don't know if I can be that much of a ****.... Looking at it purely logically, it would make the most sense for both of us; I look after the kids anyway (she barely sees them atm due to her shifts), and I WFH, but she could move closer to work. I doubt she would see it from that PoV though.

Last edited:
Sounds like a post I could have written myself (except for the job interview part)!

Unfortunately kids in the equation makes it a lot more difficult.

Currently trying to arrange couples counselling - her idea after she blew up at me a couple of months ago after losing her dad, except so far I've registered and given them all my details etc., and she hasn't contacted them at all.

Again, I feel like a **** trying to hassle her to sort it, and just for feeling like this at all. We've been through some tough times together which I would have thought would have made us stronger, but it often seems there's nothing there at all from her - the hardest part is not knowing if it's just the depression, if it's just because she's so busy at the moment and from losing her dad, or if it is because she's effectively checked out of the relationship, and is just sticking around because I'm making life easy for her?

Yeah, I struggle sometimes to work out has she checked out and is in it for the convenience, or is she just completely oblivious to how bad it's been? I'm sure my description of the experience will be completely different to hers - I guess that's part of what comes out of counselling is to understand each others perspectives. I'd be happy to go to counselling, but I'd be going in to it just wanting closure not a resolution...

Yeah, I struggle sometimes to work out has she checked out and is in it for the convenience, or is she just completely oblivious to how bad it's been? I'm sure my description of the experience will be completely different to hers - I guess that's part of what comes out of counselling is to understand each others perspectives. I'd be happy to go to counselling, but I'd be going in to it just wanting closure not a resolution...
Have the chat sooner rather than later, for both parties benefit.
You just stated you dont want to work on it, have no intention of doing counselling outside of your own closure/gains.
Just sit down and have the chat, stop dragging it out, its not just your life, its theirs too.

Yes this is me.

Her condition is physical and thus hits mentally. Basically her arms are near useless. Must be something like tendons, collagen I dunno.

But yeah. No intamcy, I cook (I hate it) I clean, laundry, driving, bills, garden, walk dog etc etc.

Its all the bad bits of a relationship with none of the good. I very much feel on my own too.

Only thing that keeps me out of depression is going on my bike/kayak etc. I go on holidays alone. I don't even dare book a holiday for us due to the condition.

She contributes financially too. But holding down that job is getting difficult.

Makes you think "what's the point". It's some quasi housemate scenario. Hardest part is I know I'd be better on my own right now. I could afford everything with a paying house mate. I could go on my holidays and adventures guilt free.

But its not her fault and I don't want to break it off.

I can feel my mental state in a very slow decline. Its because deep down I'm not looking forward to the future.

On surface I'm OK. But deep down? I am just "sad" and "hopeless".

Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

What you said about a single dad with a housemate. It's identical to that. Identical. Except have a dog not kids.
I cannot fathom how hard this must be for you to deal with. We can all take guesses or say "this is how I would act" but unless we go through it, none of us truly know.
I feel the sense of worry not just on your partner, but yourself too. Its clearly not healthy on yourself, but also cant imagine the suffering your partner must be going through too.

Have the chat sooner rather than later, for both parties benefit.
You just stated you dont want to work on it, have no intention of doing counselling outside of your own closure/gains.
Just sit down and have the chat, stop dragging it out, its not just your life, its theirs too.

Is hard but id agree. If you genuinely don't want to go any further it's better in long run do sort it early.

Its easier said than done though.

Is hard but id agree. If you genuinely don't want to go any further it's better in long run do sort it early.

Its easier said than done though.
100% easier said than done.
The poster is saying it all to himself and to an internet forum so far, so if this is his way of building confidence, wonderful.
If not, then its not just his life he is impacting.

I cannot fathom how hard this must be for you to deal with. We can all take guesses or say "this is how I would act" but unless we go through it, none of us truly know.
I feel the sense of worry not just on your partner, but yourself too. Its clearly not healthy on yourself, but also cant imagine the suffering your partner must be going through too.

I know. I know at end of the day if we split I'd be OK, in fact I'd be great. But her? I feel sick thinking about it.

If she became medically better everything would be OK. This isn't good. Because... Life happens.

Its really made me self evaluate if I should be in a relationship. This isn't a self pity point. It's realistic. If you can't cope with someone at thier worst, and it can happen to anyone... Should you really be in a relationship?

I've always known I can't cope with kids. But feel I am In that very situation. Looking after a dependant.

2023 terrifies me. If I'm honest I have no idea where I'll be at year end. Where we will be. It's hard to be excited by anything or motivated. I know depression well and although I'm OK at the moment (I can get myself up, go. To work, go kayaking) I very much feel the pull down growing.

Last edited:
The poster is saying it all to himself and to an internet forum so far, so if this is his way of building confidence, wonderful.

From what he has posted, the partner is equally to blame though.

I’m not ugly just not attractive and I find it hard to accept the way I look. Of course I’m going to be attracted to pretty woman I’m just a normal guy but I feel I repulse them. Wouldn’t even go to a prostitute as I’d feel too unattractive.

Forgot to respond to this before - I saw your pictures in the "Lonely Single Men" thread, and you are far from ugly - the difference between your first picture and the one you posted later after sorting your hair etc. was significant - of course you're no Brad Pitt, but unfortunately neither are most of us! A bit of effort, but more importantly confidence is all you need.

2023 terrifies me. If I'm honest I have no idea where I'll be at year end. Where we will be. It's hard to be excited by anything or motivated. I know depression well and although I'm OK at the moment (I can get myself up, go. To work, go kayaking) I very much feel the pull down growing.

Yes... apparently depression isn't contagious? The last few years have certainly had me questioning that...

Its good as a first step. To recognise it. Talking anonymously.
Its just that really big step to action it.
Especially if you have joint mort, kids etc.
You have to choose to break that status quo, and all the hassle that comes with it.

Oh I know, and yes saying it out loud (albeit on the internet) does help make it a bit more real.

But I can't do it before the interviews as I'll potentially end up jobless and/or in the hospital. I'm already 80% the way to a nervous breakdown, I need to be able to do things in a certain order to keep myself above the water.

Oh I know, and yes saying it out loud (albeit on the internet) does help make it a bit more real.

But I can't do it before the interviews as I'll potentially end up jobless and/or in the hospital. I'm already 80% the way to a nervous breakdown, I need to be able to do things in a certain order to keep myself above the water.

If you'd asked me 5-6 years ago, I would have said to stop being so selfish. I'm a bit older & wiser these days - it doesn't sound like anyone else is looking out for you, so do what you need to to survive.

Its a horrible feeling knowing you're just "holding it together".
I've had a couple of emotional expression moments. I wouldn't call them break downs. But they are little explosions of bottled up. Wmotuons

Back
Top Bottom