The OcUK Relationship Counselling and Hugs Thread

Feeling pretty much down in my proverbial boots, have been friends with a lady for about 16 years, over the last year we have become very close, not boyfriend/girlfriend but a little more than just besties. She is good-looking, has a great job, intelligent and has just bought outright a half million £ house just for her and her cat. Sadly, I am none of the previous statements, aside from being able to hold a good conversation, live in what is basically a council flat and have a rapid cycling bipolar condition.

I don't get nasty or physically violent, but can go from high to low at a flick of a switch, and the lows can come across as very hurtful. Last weekend I emailed her explaining that it was probably best for her that we ease up, on what has become pretty much daily phone calls. She has even offered me a physical relationship, but my medication places limitations on that, not great for self-esteem, hence another reason for sending the email.

She did call me and I managed to keep it together for the phone call, and we agreed at the time that she would text me daily rather than call. When I get depressed, I can be a little OTT and keep contacting her almost to the point of being a nuisance, I am learning and have been much better at a little restraint this time.

Have come out of this bout of depression and thought about our relationship and sent her a long text explaining, although I don't mean to hurt her, it will keep happening with my condition. I know that it isn't fair to her for it to keep happening to such a nice person and took the step of blocking her from contacting me, it is far better she gets over me in one motion rather than occurring time and again.

Am not depressed, but pretty upset I have had to let go a huge part of my life.

As others said, I applaud the self-reflection and honesty but it will be a bitter pill for her to swallow that you removed that choice from her. You could have agreed no contact instead, but now you've essentially just ghosted her. If she genuinely liked you romantically, you'll have broken her heart doing it that way.

It sounds to me like you were very honest and upfront with her @13oots2. And this has been going on for a while/you know each other very well. So maybe she knows the risks but would still like to give it a go?

Honestly it sounds like she must be be pretty intelligent and is there to be a good partner to you. Obviously I don't know all the details.

Last edited:
Yeah, feel like it should have been her choice. By all means share you honest views but not nice she had no say in it

I guess this could be analysed from a different direction, is it possible that you did this to subconsciously protect yourself, with a fear that some day she'd would have had enough of the mood swings and SHE ended it and hurt you, or indeed maybe you feel she is such a decent person that she would not end it even though she would want to.

Maybe it might have been best to sit down and talk it out when you were in a good mental place, and let her tell you exactly what her position/thoughts/feelings are ?

There are some people in the world that need to feel as if they are doing good for someone, i.e. they need to be needed, and perhaps she is such a person. It's possible that in doing what you judged as the honourable thing, you've actually made her feel that she got something wrong, or you decided she wasn't right for you but cloaked it as something else.

I'm pretty screwed up in expressing my feelings and avoid confrontation a lot, but my experience is, one of the real big issues in a scenario like this is the lack of complete openness and actually talking/listening something through, and not just concluding that your internal map of how things are is actually how things are.

Tough on you though that you felt this course of action was best for her.

Last edited:
I'm curious when we as an OCUK collective battle it out for the contact details of a woman who's good looking and rich :D
And she's got a cat too. Dream woman. :D

you've essentially just ghosted her.

Not really. Ghosting is just disappearing without an explanation. He told her what was happening and why.

I don't get why other posters are talking about "her decision" / her having a say? Why should she? It was nominally a friendship rather than a relationship. If he's decided what's going to happen her input isn't needed.

On the flip side, if she's offered a physical relationship she must not be repulsed by him so maybe a proper relationship could have happened, rather than this being an unrequited thing.

Last edited:
Kind of on topic in a tangential way...

I'm divorced, single and share childcare of only child 50/50 with my ex. She's remarried (recently).

ex is away with the child for a weekend.

Being single I occasionally peruse websites where one may find a bit of fun... I haven't yet :(

What I then stumble across is the new husband, newly created profile advertising his weekend of freedom and inviting anyone over for "a bit of fun" and I mean anyone.

What would you do...?

I'm divorced, single and share childcare of only child 50/50 with my ex. She's remarried (recently).

Being single I occasionally peruse websites where one may find a bit of fun... I haven't yet :(

What I then stumble across is the new husband, newly created profile advertising his weekend of freedom and inviting anyone over for "a bit of fun" and I mean anyone.

What would you do...?
Well I don't know how well you get along with/respect/have empathy for your ex. But you have a decent leg to stand on here - you're allowed to look at those sites. He is not.

Ouch.

What would you do...?

You could message him that you're hetro but curious...

What would you do...?
Send the details anonymously.

What would you do...?

Grass him up, or blackmail him.

So I want to hear what people who have been in a similar situation what you’ve done and also from people who haven’t on what you’d do.

Long story short, split up with my partner of nigh on 20 years March 2033 (two kids {well one isn’t a kid technical he’s 19} the other is 16) was an amicable split no cheating (as far as I’m aware) an I moved out shortly after into my own place fast forward to recently and I’ve met someone knew, she’s ace, gets on really well, no kids herself, likes I have kids and we’ve discussed her meeting them and here comes my questions:

1) Did you tell your ex you had met someone else and plan to introduce them to the kids?
2) what did you do? Trip out somewhere casual? I’m sure they’ll get on as they’re all fun people so was thinking some pool or bowling or somebthing

Some background, whilst we’ve been amicable since splitting up it’s generally one word text responses of “ok” whenever I ask her something and little else, I’ve no idea if she’s met someone else but I don’t think she’d tell me if she did, so that’s why I’m not sure if I should send her a text telling her that or if I should just save it for when she might meet the kids to tell her they’ll be meeting someone new in my life.

So yeah, any advice?
I told the ex when I’d met someone new but that was part and parcel of our agreement. (Obviously only about the serious one)

It took a long time for my new partner to meet my children (the children’s choice) rather than it being forced on them.

We kept it somewhere neutral (bowling) for the first time.

I'm having a weekend off work. My brain isn't doing particularly well at the moment. I'm getting easily stressed and overwhelmed by **** at the moment.
Means I've got to spend more time with the Mrs though. So obviously she's moaning about me being off. I'm spending time playing games and watching videos, so 'I never spend time with her'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom