The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Man of Honour
Is there any reason to pay ~£150 extra for the 2408WFP, over the Samsung SM-245B, for general PC usage(casual gaming, movies, photoshop work, etc) ?

I'm buying one later this month and was set on the 2408WFP, but now the 245B seems a better deal. The Dell only has better viewing angles. which should not affect a user sitting infront of the screen.

Edit: Just noticed the 245B only has Analog / Digital inputs.....

it's a classic TN Film vs S-PVA technology situation there really. panel technologies explained here which might help....the viewing angles on the Samsung make movie viewing and photo work a little tricky imo, check out my comments about it here :)

Soldato
I'll do a test of the Digimate 24" Vs my MBP screen...

All I have :(

Edit: No difference, to 2 decimal places atleast. Can't find a 3dp one..

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I heard they will be a new A01 coming out soon. It is a rumor however, but I hope it happens soon. If I dont hear anything good about BenQ's CS I will just wait for the A01 which I have the feeling will take a few months to arive :(

Anyone know how long it usually takes Dell to introduce a new firmware version?

Soldato
Only one problem with the 2407WFP A04 if you're a graphics person, and that's the smaller gamut. Apart from that it's nigh-on perfect.
Granted, if you need good colour reproduction for photography work or whatever, then the 92% and 100+% gamuts of the 07-HC and 08 will be very attractive. That said, many of us have no need for such faithful reproduction and the PVA panel of the 2407 is still a mile ahead of the more common TN panels in this area :)

Associate
Got one of these moniters on saturday.
I have the brightness set at 60 and the contrast set at 50 does anyone know the best settings for the colour ect???

Soldato
It's completely dependent on your monitor I'm afraid. What might work for one might not for another.

According to this review, they used a combination of the following settings:
monitortest said:
Optional calibration was done at ~ 140cd/m2 of white with brightness control set to 7-8, contrast 50%, R = 96, G = 92, B = 100. This is by no means a universal recipe as models vary.
Yet when I calibrated a 2408 with exactly the same hardware/software combination, my settings were very different.

Have a look on TFT Central and see if you get any joy from the manual tests there.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
After receiving no reply from BenQ regarding their monitor replacement policy for over a week now i have decided for going for the Dell 2408WFP.

The Dell may have some problems, but most can be fixed by tweaking the settings and the other few should not be visible unless you are out looking for them. Most people are happy with these monitors so I decided to go for it. At least i know that if it breaks in the next 3 years it will be replaced with the latest model the next day :)

With BenQ it would take at least a whole week, probably more. When BenQ decide to improve the CS i will consider them on my next purchase.

Associate
Well, after my problems with a Benq FP241W (severe pixel defect) I thought I'd give a Dell 2408 a shot (purchased direct as we have a business account at work).

Lovely screen, except for the ooh, 15cm on the left hand side thats noticeably brighter ;)

Suffice is to say its already gone back to Dell and full refund issued.

Looks like I'm sticking with my old Samsung Syncmaster 920N for the time being until Dell sort themselves out and release another 2407-A04. How the 2408 got past QA is a mystery to me.

Associate
Having bought this monitor not long ago I can say I'm very pleased with it. The input lag that I have read about I honestly haven't noticed. I play a lot of twitch games, TFC, CS, UT2004 and the like. It's likely that I'm just not fast enough to notice it but regardless I haven't actually registered any noticable lag with my movements.

The image quality is superb though as is the viewing angle, no noticable blurring either and the number of inputs on the 2408 is quite handy :).

Just my two cents. I did have to play around with the monitor settings before I was happy with the display though.

Soldato
Don't suppose you'll find time to calibrate using both the Gretag and LaCie software suites and compare settings/results will you? Would be interesting to see which produces the more consistent results.

Soldato
needs a translation tool, but Hardware.fr have some info up on the 2408WFP now too:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/712-1/lcd-david-vs-goliath-iolair-vs-dell.html

my review coming soon :)
Interesting stuff and confirms the high input lag, average 69 ms. I'm sure I would notice that in fast FPS games. The other screen is interesting though, the Iolair MB24W, which looks similar to the Digimate L2442WD (I believe it's the same thing). MVA panel, virtually zero input lag (even better than my 2007WFP) and also very little ghosting.

Soldato
needs a translation tool, but Hardware.fr have some info up on the 2408WFP now too:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/712-1/lcd-david-vs-goliath-iolair-vs-dell.html
Hmmmm. Looks like they're saying:

1. Colour accuracy 'out of the box' is rubbish.

2. You need a decent hardware calibration device to get anything approaching usable colour accuracy.

3. It's relatively power hungry.

4. It's rubbish with anything involving moving images.

5. You wouldn't want to play a FPS on it.

Back
Top Bottom