*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
Ok, lets makes this clear - it's no RGB Stripe. And will still have the fuzzy characteristic of Pentile up close.

Why do you believe that? :confused:

The "fuzzy" characteristic of Pentile comes from needing two adjacent pixels to display points which would, with an RGB screen, use only one. This reduces the definition of sharp changes in colour or brightness.

... The article you linked to gives a nice example: Single-pixel width text, which would be the most 'dramatic' difference between an RGB and a Pentile sub-pixel arrangement.

10mq814.png

An RGB arrangement uses a single line of pixels, whereas Pentile smears the text over multiple pixels.

This "blue-dominated" sub-pixel arrangement is what you can expect from RGB OLED screens to come (for the reasons outlined two posts up; that larger blue subpixels are required to maintain colour accuracy over time). The exact arrangement may vary, but the uniform sub-pixel "RGB-stripe" is unlikely to feature heavily for the future. Such designs lead to the loss of blue intensity over time.

Soldato
^ You'll still get (blue) fringing compared to a equal pixel RGB layout but no 'cross-hair gain' (my main gripe!). Looking forward to testing one out :)

Also 478 cd/m2 max brightness - awesome! SGS3 is 330.

There's huge variation in brightness tests with sAMOLED screens. Displaymate has the SGS3 at 224 max/280 peak and SGS2 hitting 290/400 in the same test. :D
http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.htm

Even with 1000cd/m2 screens are fairly rubbish outdoors. (ambient light on a clear day is usually 10,000-40,000) Plus more brightness equals hotter devices. 300 is a good average with fancy polarising layers.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ You'll still get (blue) frigging compared to a equal pixel RGB layout but no 'cross-hair gain' (my main gripe!).

:confused:

Care to explain what you mean by that?

I googled those terms ('frigging' and 'cross-hair gain') just in case I was being really stupid, but unsurprisingly it came up with nothing...

Soldato
Whoops, fringing. (Typo)

Edit:

For example, reading text on this forum with a HOS/Razr/Desire (~260ppi pentile) you can see red edges on the right of the text and green edges on the left.
I guess it depends on how they control the blues.

Last edited:
Soldato
*shrug*

It shouldn't be any different to a striped RGB arrangement such as:

rlcnlh.png

In the Note 2 sub-pixel arrangement the blue sub-pixel will always be at the left of a vertical line - just like in the arrangement shown above. Unlike the above arrangement there will be no common green-line at the right.

The proof, as always, will be in the viewing - but for all intents and purposes it should act like any other RGB sub-pixel arrangement. There is no smearing of the image into adjacent pixels, which is what causes the loss of fidelity with PenTile sub-pixel arrangements.

Soldato
Will just have to wait to see the screen in person - I'm really not impressed with the design/aesthetics of this phone at all. I'm going to pass I think. Long ass release date too.

Associate
Really interested to see some UK pricing on this. Gonna be a long wait through September.

Robbo, update first post with all the important info like specs etc. :p

Man of Honour
OP
Really interested to see some UK pricing on this. Gonna be a long wait through September.

Robbo, update first post with all the important info like specs etc. :p

I will do later tonight, I'm just away at the moment so haven't had chance to post much!

ajf

ajf

Soldato
What are the main upgrades from the original Note?
Looking at both and wondering if it is worth going for a good deal on the original Note instead?
Also, think I might prefer the slightly bigger 16:10 screen.

How do the two cameras compare, and then against the S3?

Permabanned
To be honest ajf it has been upgraded in just about every way. The screen res is the same as the S3 now to help with app compatibility but the CPU, RAM, Size, Battery, OS are all better. So after being a Note 1 user for 10 months I would go for the Note 2 as the Note 1 has had a few issues.

Back
Top Bottom