The Official 'The Dark Knight Rises' Spoiler Discussion Thread...

Soldato
TDK = BB > TDKR

The film itself was very, very good but wasn't as good as the previous films.
However, it was the perfect film to close the trilogy.

Everything was brilliant about it tbh, might be a few issues here and there but nothing substantial

Soldato
OP
I'm still buzzing after watching it last night.

10 of us went to see it and we had to go for a drink afterwards to kind of debrief, we were that fired up.

The moment when Bane breaks Batman was amazing, the whole cinema was in utter silence.

The Talia reveal was also a shock but i'd called it a few weeks back when chatting with a friend, although not the manner in which it came out. As soon as I knew Cottilard was in the movie, my gut was telling me Talia.

The film is brilliant and for me the best of the trilogy, never thought he'd top TDK but he did. I'd love to give it a 10/10 but I still struggled in a few parts with Banes voice. It get's a 9.6/10 for me.

Associate
Great film I thought, sure there are a few minor points you could pick at, but overall a great end to the trilogy.

I don't think WB would force Nolan into doing a fourth and they will probably let him pick and choose his projects. He has been a massive money spinner for them so far - Inception, Batman trilogy. If they don't allow him freedom to do his thing then he'll go to another studio.

WB will reboot Batman though, but I get the feeling this trilogy will be considered the best Batman series in a long long time.

Associate
So so glad to finally see a film that lives up to the hype. Following TDK was a huge ask and IMO it was the perfect end to the trilogy. The part where Albert is stood over the three graves was superb. Bane breaking Batman was incredible, all really raw and not over the top.

I can only take marks off for a few minor things. Banes voice as has been mentioned, and it probably needed just a smidgen more Hathaway in catsuit bent over on the bike.

Associate
Saw it last night and thought it was **** poor....

Epic plot holes and Waaaaaay too long and boring.

Batman is crippled beyond the best medical help money can buy.

Batman goes to see Morgan Freeman and he gives him a special thing for his leg.

Batman gets beaten senseless and practically has his back broken by Bane.

Gets thrown in some prison in what looks like the middle east...

Batman gets his broken back fixed by a punch from some old guy.

Batman does push ups for a few months and climbs out of the hole, stronger than he's ever been despite the fact it should be assumed he doesn't have his magical leg brace on him any more because he got stripped of everything by Bane and his team of oafs.

Batman magically gets back from the middle east instantly despite his funds being screwed up and taken over and his friends captured and un-contactable in Gotham.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best line of the film was Batman saying to Bane

"When you give me the "detonator" you have my permission to die"

Can't remember if it was the word detonator but very close

Soldato

Batman magically gets back from the middle east instantly despite his funds being screwed up and taken over and his friends captured and un-contactable in Gotham.

He's rich he probably had all manner of gear and funds hidden away in secret places. Maybe the bat credit card stuck up his butt.

Associate
I thought it was an excellent movie! But like most others the John 'Robin' Blake thing was sort of just thrown in there. Now if they had named the character John DRAKE and at the end just said "Oh. Well my christian name is Tim. Tim Drake." that might of been more of a nod to the fans.

Still a great movie though, can't wait to see it again! :D

Soldato
What an awesome film - 3 hours just went like that.

Looking forward to Man of steel as it will be produced by Mr Nolan. I reckon he should do something like Justice league which could give Disney/Marvel a run for their money.

Soldato
I really enjoyed it though you could obviously pick it apart all day long if you wanted. Was it as great as the second? No not really but I never thought it would be, especially in a trilogy it's almost impossible. But it was very good.

If I could have changed anything it would be as someone's already said, no need to see Bruce at the end. Alfred's face said it all and would have been an awesome ending. Though I did really enjoy the ending.

Soldato
Gripes:
Bane's death was cheaaaap, also convenient plot device to beat him, and his hell on earth prison didn't seem that much of a hell-hole
Characters knowing everything without it being clear how they acquired knowledge
People always turning up in the right place at the right time
The doomsday weapon's plausibility was very similar to the device in the first film, and also they hyped up the whole energy thing then left it, along with Fox and Wayne Enterprises in the dust, which ties into...
How is JGL supposed to take the mantle without 1337 martial arts training and unlimited funds?
The Florence thing at the end - I embraced the cheese, but poor Alfred never got to make up with Bruce after their spat and parted on bad terms. :(

I didn't know about the Talia twist, didn't see it coming either - but was very relieved when it did, since when Bruce hooked up with her it was v. contrived and they lacked any kind of chemistry and I was fearing they'd float off into the sunset when him and Selena had much more of a dynamic, hooray for shacking it up w/the one in leathers.

Anyway, gripes aside, it was a pretty damn good film and a much better third act than all the other superhoer attempts. I left the IMAX happy.

Associate
Saw it at 5am at BFI IMAX. That was an experience in itself. :p

Bane was excellent throughout until Talia where he become almost gimpy.

The first Batman vs Bane fight was good but I didn't like the daylight street one. The violence was a lot more toned down compared to TDK which was a shame.

I liked the Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow cameos although again the punishments were lame.

It felt like everyone knew Batman's identity (Bane, Talia, Blake, Catwoman) except a top detective like Comm. Gordon had to have it spelled out at the end.

Associate
If I could have changed anything it would be as someone's already said, no need to see Bruce at the end. Alfred's face said it all and would have been an awesome ending. Though I did really enjoy the ending.

I've been thinking about this some more. I still think that just seeing Alfred would have been a more enjoyable ending, but...

I think Wayne needed to be seen at the end of the film - this isn't Inception afterall. This is his "last" Batman film. It is the end of the trilogy, and we don't need any left over questions about his story. If we didn't see him and JGL takes on the mantle, there will always be the question of whether or not Wayne really died, and whether or not he could show up to save Gotham again.

Now we know. He's moved on. Its definitive - Alfred has said goodbye and knows that his job has been done.

Caporegime
Gripes:
along with Fox and Wayne Enterprises in the dust, which ties into...

Well they did say in the film that given time they could prove it was fraud, so one would imagine they will and everything will then be restored and Fox can then get started again at Wayne Enterprises.

The more I think about this film the bigger the grin on my face. :D

Soldato
Also, titbit I didn't notice on first viewing - at the end Selena is wearing Mrs Wayne's pearl necklace, d'awww. At least Nolan gave Bruce Wayne a happy ending - something the comics have rarely afforded him, even when he's passed on the mantle. Forgot that in the comics he married Catwoman and had a kid with her in a couple of different versions.

Bane and Talia were LoG so they'd know Batman's identity since the whole of LoS knew about it in first one.

Kyle found out via the first Bane fight she was privvy too.

Blake's deduction is the only one that isn't clear, but I guess it carries on the thread of Batman being 'world's best detective' since he has both the will and the brains (but not the ninja skills).

ibybjs4wpZDEUX.gif

Back
Top Bottom