The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
They make a good point about consoles in that interview as well, something people need to remember when getting upset about these things.

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

Exactly, people were comparing it to GTA V and I just thought to myself, where is the merit in comparing a game that had a $265 million budget to one that had $40 million. Frankly it's awesome what they have achieved.

Soldato
Is there a way to monitor fps in-game with SweetFX running? I'm noticing some annoying stutters and these don't feel like typical framerate drops. I might be wrong though, as even dropping from 60 to 55 can cause stuttering so I need to check it. I've set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 in the control panel but that doesn't seem to have helped much.

Ok, the game switched to borderless which caused stuttering :rolleyes: Should've checked that in the first place:p Apparently, Afterburner's OSD works with SweetFX so I could check framerates. In the first area, I'm mostly getting 60fps with occasional drops to 55-50 but without significant stuttering. I've maxed everything except shadows and grass density (both on high, practically no difference and less of a framerate hit) and used SweetFX. Makes the game look a lot better. I've also disabled some post fx (sharpening and chromatic aberration). I kept foliage visibility range on ultra, I hope I can keep it at that as it looks noticeably better than high.

All I need now is some talented modder to make the water look like it's 2015:p And maybe do something about the vegetation:p

EDIT: Hairworks is obviously off, I can't be bothered and it doesn't seem to be worth the massive framerate hit.

Do your GPUs also get a bit hotter than when playing other titles? My 970 can occasionally reach 76c when at 1505mhz and the fans become audible. It doesn't crash but I'm thinking about reverting the card to stock for this game, not really comfortable with this sort of temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly, people were comparing it to GTA V and I just thought to myself, where is the merit in comparing a game that had a $265 million budget to one that had $40 million. Frankly it's awesome what they have achieved.

Because people are stupid. All they will see is one game has done this, why can't another game that came out AFTERWARDS do this.

Forget development times, budget, Developer/Artist Skill... The benchmark was set so now every game that fails to reach that benchmark gets slated in that specific area.

Associate
No, you should get a fairly consistent 50 with a few select options decreased though.

Shadows and Foliage on Ultra cause the biggest hits, and hairworks. With those turned down and hairworks off he should get 60 out in the open.

I'm running 2500, 280 with 16gb, mixture of highs and ultras, everything on except hairworks and get a nice average of 40.

Associate
how are you guys levelling so fast lol. I just lost in the world and forget all about questing and stuff. I quite happily go on an explore for hours, hence the reason I'm still on level 2 hehe.

Sun and Stars is the best perk I've applied so far, really helps not going through my food.

lol i just keep doing all the side quests and it helps you explore as you do them. also i did one main mission with the witch and it took me up 3 levels! wasnt easy. saving every 2 mins lol

Soldato
I don;t know if it is down to Sweetfx, but the colours seem off for me...It is usually darker during the day than at night!

Also, I could have sworn that the other day I changed gamma settings, but now I can't for the life of me find the option. There is one right?

Last edited:
Soldato
anyone else attempting to run this with crossfire and getting flickering textures on the mountains and distant details? I'm guessing just a crossfire issue as AMD can't be arsed to do much for it's users at the moment.

Yeah, I've got this problem too. Using 2x R9 290.

Without crossfire enabled, the flickering disappears completely. Turning off crossfire actually results in me getting better FPS too.

I'll hold off playing the game until a new stable driver comes out.

I posted up a few pages back with the exact same issue on two 7950s. As has been said, disabling CrossFire also gets me about 10FPS more which clearly shows that the game hasn't been optimised for CrossFire. If AMD can't do anything, I don't know how likely CDPR are to come up with a fix given that they're tied in with the whole Nvidia GameWorks thing :(

I'm using the latest beta driver on Windows 10. The leaked beta driver on Guru3D also doesn't work properly.

What FPS are you getting with just the one enabled?

I get around 10FPS more when I disable CrossFire and return to Bordlerless Windowed mode. It's all a bit silly tbh. I've never used CF before, this is the first game I've tried it in but it really does seem to be a bit of a hassle. I've tried AFR Friendly and 1x1 Optimisation as suggested on some sites and none of these make a difference :(

Soldato
I just reached Oxenfurt. It looks quite nice, but again, there aren't any characters!.. I just combed every inch, and found nobody with anything to say other than the one I went there for(to do with a quest). The only quests are done through the notice board.

I miss vizima the where there were 2 inns, both with characters to talk to, and plenty of NPCs around town you could talk to any time, with various tasks and quests to do.

Permabanned
I just reached Oxenfurt. It looks quite nice, but again, there aren't any characters!.. I just combed every inch, and found nobody with anything to say other than the one I went there for(to do with a quest). The only quests are done through the notice board.

I miss vizima the where there were 2 inns, both with characters to talk to, and plenty of NPCs around town you could talk to any time, with various tasks and quests to do.

Not sure what you are doing m8, velen for me is packed with quests to do. I know you are in a different area but you seem to be going to fast and missing loads of stuff to do cause yesterday you were saying not much to do in velen? I can see me being in velen for a few game playing nights at least.

Back
Top Bottom