Unai says goodbye, Mikel says hello

Caporegime
I was thinking the same, I mean anyone could be made to look good coaching at Man City. Are your owners just hoping to get Man City reserve players on loan through his contacts at the club? :p

Soldato
OP
I was thinking the same, I mean anyone could be made to look good coaching at Man City. Are your owners just hoping to get Man City reserve players on loan through his contacts at the club? :p

Maybe if we get relegated. :p

For some reason a lot of people think Arteta has the makings of a great manager. Ex players, current players and journalists all think the same.

The owners probably just think an ex player will be given more time. And that keeps the heat off them for a while. Not that Kroenke cares that much, he's never over here.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does feel like the club need to press the reset button completely, call this season a write-off, and nobody, however experienced they are is going to be able to fix it. They tried with Emery and buying mature players. Didn’t work.

The main concern with Arteta is he’ll need a coaching team, as he’s not going to take half of City’s staff with him. Other than that. Managerial appointments are a lottery half the time tbh, so he might follow in the footsteps of other assistants to Pep who’ve done well and make it less embarrassing to support a club in such a state, or be guff and nothing really changes and the board will have to try again.

Whenever I’ve seen Arteta the last year or two he’s looked like a really intense bloke: I reckon he’s got a good hairdryer in him.

Soldato
It does feel like the club need to press the reset button completely, call this season a write-off, and nobody, however experienced they are is going to be able to fix it. They tried with Emery and buying mature players. Didn’t work.

The main concern with Arteta is he’ll need a coaching team, as he’s not going to take half of City’s staff with him. Other than that. Managerial appointments are a lottery half the time tbh, so he might follow in the footsteps of other assistants to Pep who’ve done well and make it less embarrassing to support a club in such a state, or be guff and nothing really changes and the board will have to try again.

Whenever I’ve seen Arteta the last year or two he’s looked like a really intense bloke: I reckon he’s got a good hairdryer in him.

:D

Soldato
So Ancellotti to Everton and Arteta to Arsenal... Surely it should be the other way round?

What credentials does Arteta have, other than putting out the cones for Pep at City?

You could say the same about ten Hag who was with Pep at Bayern before he went and did his own thing, Vilanova (RIP) too, although he inherited peak Barca so not the hardest job in the world... but they got a record points total that year with him and have never been as good under subsequent coaches.

Equally you could say what credentials does Arsenal have in terms of being an attractive job for a top-tier coach? No investment, financially hamstrung because they splurged too much money on players who are now likely to leave, massively imbalanced squad (both in quality and the sorts of players in the squad)... it’s not exactly an easy sell. If Wenger hadn’t have clung on for those last few seasons like a guy on the fruit machine who just needed that one more game to recoup his losses they’d have been able to entice anyone they wanted, but the book’s already written there and we are where we are.

Caporegime
You could say the same about ten Hag who was with Pep at Bayern before he went and did his own thing, Vilanova (RIP) too, although he inherited peak Barca so not the hardest job in the world... but they got a record points total that year with him and have never been as good under subsequent coaches.

Equally you could say what credentials does Arsenal have in terms of being an attractive job for a top-tier coach? No investment, financially hamstrung because they splurged too much money on players who are now likely to leave, massively imbalanced squad (both in quality and the sorts of players in the squad)... it’s not exactly an easy sell. If Wenger hadn’t have clung on for those last few seasons like a guy on the fruit machine who just needed that one more game to recoup his losses they’d have been able to entice anyone they wanted, but the book’s already written there and we are where we are.
Agreed. Sure Arteta if he does become arsenal manager isn’t the world class manager we need but neither was Emery tbh.
Honestly as I have said before we can’t be any worse with Arteta than we were with Emery or maybe we are lol.
The only positive I’m taking, if Arteta is going to be our manager is that he has been with Pep for the past few years and who better to learn from than the very best/elite manager the world has seen.
Not saying he is going to make us title contenders straight away. But I do hope he does come in, clears out the crap we have, forces the board to spend money on decent players and get us back to playing our best. If anything tear the damn defence apart and start over or actually teach our brain dead defenders how to actually defend FFS :p.

Soldato

It's an 8 million a year salary tho, which is the carrot to attract managers.

Lets hope Arteta works out.

Soldato
One of the red tops this morning was saying Ancelotti's Everton deal would make him the 3rd highest paid boss in the league. Bigger carrots out there, unfortunately.

Oh dear. The decline of our football club is happening from all angles. It comes down to money at the end of the day. If we had owners who where putting money in to the club then maybe we right now would be getting Ancellotti rather than Everton...

We cheaping out again.

Back
Top Bottom