urgent help on 1st build!

Soldato
I'm sorry man, I can't think of much else.

Do you have any friends with custom built/self built computer? If so you could try their PSU out. If it works with the new PSU, RMA the PSU. If it still refuses to boot, RMA the mobo. Otherwise, you will have to send both down.

Associate
From the outset, it sounds like a mother board problem. Try removing all ram, and gpu and cpu? If you get error beeps that's good right? Means mobo is good? Or you said once cpu power is removed it doesn't shut down, then try removing and changing around sticks of ram whilst the cpu power is off. Just some suggestions.

Associate
OP
thanks waiwaiwk, tried removing all ram and cpu as shown earlier in this thread, don;t get any error beeps due to no speaker, and tried all the possible combinations of ram.

I seriously appreciate all the time you guys have put in to help me out, extremely kind of you.

Soldato
My guess is memory compatibility problems, too. But without knowing if there are any error beeps, it's really just an educated guess. It'd really help if you could get hold of a motherboard speaker. Maybe your old Dell has one which you can borrow? Otherwise, you can definitely get them on everyone's favourite auction site. Or maybe OcUK will send you one if they feel nice?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
my old dell has one...but it's wired through the middle of the front panel. Why they make things as difficult for customers as possible i'll never know, lol. I mean, if someone is going to bother to open the computer, s/he will probably know what needs to be done, and what is what, so give that person full access to the PC.

I'll see if i can salvage one from another computer though.

Here's the compatibility list of ram for my mobo:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ex58-ud3r.pdf

and this guy has bought this ram, and used it fine on the mobo I currently have:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-048-KS&tool=3

strangely it's not on gigabyte's list, so I don't know whether to stick to the list, or trust the reviewer.

Soldato
That's the problem with prebuilt gear, unfortunately... be glad you've seen the light and built your own... you won't regret it once you get it going!

I would think the RAM should be compatible. But memory compatibility can be a funny thing.

Is there no way you can put the Dell right next to your new system and somehow plug the speaker in? :D

Associate
OP
I've wanted to build my own PC since I was 11 lol, but with the grades I recently achieved my parents decided to give me the all clear to go ahead, it's a shame this has marred one of my ambitions, but I'm sure i'll feel great when it's all sorted.

Associate
OP
Since the speaker on My dell is out of reach, i'll go open the study pc.

bear with me guys, getting this sorted tonight would be awesome lol.

by the way, if I need to get different RAM tomorrow, and I ring OCUK to arrange the RMA, and send my current one back, will I have to make a new order for the new set of RAM, or will OCUK send me the new RAM and just charge a few extra £'s to my account?

Soldato
Minato, I had the same problem with my recent build.

It turned out id mounted the Heatsink incorrectly, the diagrams for assembly where not very clear, and as so it was not making contact properly. Once I emailed Noctua cust services and they sent me a proper picture of it, I got it sorted and the problem was resolved...

does your heatsink wobble at all? ;)

Associate
OP
unfortunately not mate, my heatsink (with the bloody push pin design) is rock solid. While I was checking the CPU for any bent pins, I made sure to reseat it very carefully.

Soldato
I've wanted to build my own PC since I was 11 lol, but with the grades I recently achieved my parents decided to give me the all clear to go ahead, it's a shame this has marred one of my ambitions, but I'm sure i'll feel great when it's all sorted.

I feel really sorry for you, you clearly worked hard to get the rig and now a stupid memory incompatibility is stopping you from enjoying your monster PC. I hope you are able to get it sorted soon.

I think you will need to contact OCUK on monday, I don't think they are open on Sundays. If you told them your problem and directed them to this thread they will hopefully allow you to exchange your RAM for that Kingston stuff, and just pay the excess cost + shipping.

Soldato
See with it auto shutting down after about 10 seconds would have led me to guess at a heat problem, i guess not though...

atleast with the auto shut down its preventing any damage to the rest of the system

Associate
OP
I feel really sorry for you, you clearly worked hard to get the rig and now a stupid memory incompatibility is stopping you from enjoying your monster PC. I hope you are able to get it sorted soon.

I think you will need to contact OCUK on monday, I don't think they are open on Sundays. If you told them your problem and directed them to this thread they will hopefully allow you to exchange your RAM for that Kingston stuff, and just pay the excess cost + shipping.

Don't feel sorry mate, because as they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

the way I see it is:

I just started summer holidays, so i've got 8 weeks to get this fixed,

The next time a new PC builder encounters this problem, he will get to avoid all the hassle of testing,

I'll have learnt a lot about my computer in the process,

it will get sorted eventually, and I originally meant to spend 2 days on this build, but I ended up doing it in 5-6 hours, so it's not as if i'm losing time,

and lastly, as Thomas Edison said when he was told to give up:
I have not failed a thousand times, merely learnt one thousand ways not to build the light bulb.

only, i've done slightly less than 1000 attempts!

Associate
OP
See with it auto shutting down after about 10 seconds would have led me to guess at a heat problem, i guess not though...

atleast with the auto shut down its preventing any damage to the rest of the system

I agree, if it was running for 10 or so seconds, then shut down it might be due to the thermal trigger, but in my case it's only 2-3 seconds before shutdown, and under normal conditions in a well cooled room, the cpu shouldn't be able to heat up that fast.

Soldato
Yep... there's no chance that it's overheating before it's even managed to POST. The heatsink would have to be completely detached for that to happen!

Back
Top Bottom