What film did you watch last night?

Watched Django unchained, it was alright, the pacing of the films reminds me of the Sergio Leone films, it just that Tarantino isn’t able to pull it off :(

I've been having a bit of a David Lynch season (picked up the Lynch Blu-ray set cheap, and started off by watching Twin Peaks TV).

I'll say this for him, all his films that I've seen have been interesting, rather odd in feel/style at times, but interesting.
I'm not sure how I'd rate them though.

I've been having a bit of a David Lynch season (picked up the Lynch Blu-ray set cheap, and started off by watching Twin Peaks TV).

I'll say this for him, all his films that I've seen have been interesting, rather odd in feel/style at times, but interesting.
I'm not sure how I'd rate them though.

Wait until you get to Mulhollland Drive, then try to give me your version of what the film is about.

Red Dawn - 5/10 (3/10 if you've seen the original) - Not great, didn't need remaking like this and remade poorly - see below for more details and spoilers.

It's a film that didn't need a remake and that makes it really disappointing when it's been done badly. First up, if you haven't seen the original then I can see this being received slightly better but the main problem is the daft storyline. The original was set during the height of the cold war so a Russian invasion was a plausible story. Having the Best Koreans do the invading in the late 2000's using US equipment makes no sense in comparison. Other than that the 2 stories track fairly similarly but the remakes ending felt flat in comparison. The acting isn't bad overall, if a little bland, and the new Charlie Sheen character did a very good job of being an irritating boy to start with before growing into hardened man. The rest were all very one dimensional otherwise and the girls had less of a storyline compared to the original which makes some of their choices seem odd. The action sequences were much better in the remake but the lack of budget was very obvious at times.

I felt there was some unnecessary belittling of the 1st film by the remake, for example the Deer Hunting scene. Instead of being a rite of passage which gave strength to weak member of the group it now becomes a joke scene instead, which I didn't think honoured the 1st film. Another example is the group member being bugged in the remake is a 20 second throw away added virtually at the end with no meaning, rather than the horrific scene in the original, about loyalty etc

Overall if you've not seen the original then it's a 2hr "mind-off watch the pretty explosions and don't think about it" film. If you've seen the original (and more so if you watched it recently) then I don't think you'll enjoy it at all, I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom