What film did you watch last night?

Red Dawn - 5/10 (3/10 if you've seen the original) - Not great, didn't need remaking like this and remade poorly - see below for more details and spoilers.

It's a film that didn't need a remake and that makes it really disappointing when it's been done badly. First up, if you haven't seen the original then I can see this being received slightly better but the main problem is the daft storyline. The original was set during the height of the cold war so a Russian invasion was a plausible story. Having the Best Koreans do the invading in the late 2000's using US equipment makes no sense in comparison. Other than that the 2 stories track fairly similarly but the remakes ending felt flat in comparison. The acting isn't bad overall, if a little bland, and the new Charlie Sheen character did a very good job of being an irritating boy to start with before growing into hardened man. The rest were all very one dimensional otherwise and the girls had less of a storyline compared to the original which makes some of their choices seem odd. The action sequences were much better in the remake but the lack of budget was very obvious at times.

I felt there was some unnecessary belittling of the 1st film by the remake, for example the Deer Hunting scene. Instead of being a rite of passage which gave strength to weak member of the group it now becomes a joke scene instead, which I didn't think honoured the 1st film. Another example is the group member being bugged in the remake is a 20 second throw away added virtually at the end with no meaning, rather than the horrific scene in the original, about loyalty etc

Overall if you've not seen the original then it's a 2hr "mind-off watch the pretty explosions and don't think about it" film. If you've seen the original (and more so if you watched it recently) then I don't think you'll enjoy it at all, I didn't.

Dissapointing but to be expected, I'm still going to watch it though. I was hoping that it might actually be good, the ideas fantastic and a modern take on it could have been fantastic, with cgi, surround sound etc.

Mulholland Drive

Haven't seen it before. Interesting film, though it struck me as being essentially pointless, with the director relying on active imaginations to fill in the gaps for himself.

Oh and lesbians are a turn off. ewww.

6/10

Mulholland Drive

Haven't seen it before. Interesting film, though it struck me as being essentially pointless, with the director relying on active imaginations to fill in the gaps for himself.

Oh and lesbians are a turn off. ewww.

6/10

Personally I thought it was one of the best films I've ever seen. But like most David Lynch films it relies on the viewer's interpretation rather than creating a linear and coherent story. I think I did need to watch it 2 or 3 times before I could make sense of it all(for me anyway!) but I love films like this that evoke emotion and make you really think. So many films now are predictable and have boring linear storylines. I struggle to sit through most films these days without switching off halfway through.

Taken 2 6/10 Not as good as the first one of course. He didnt seem to have that edge anymore. I always thought of the first one more like a 24 spinoff.
Still enjoyed it but probably wont watch again for a while.

Seven Psychopaths

3/10

incoherent, disjointed, stupid and pointless.

There's only like 3 or 4 psychopaths really in the movie, the other ones on the poster are hardly in it !

Yeah, wasn't just me who thought that, also Loopers 6/10 = Pretty avg.

Did like Super & The perks of being a wall flower..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom