What film did you watch last night?

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Just.... bizzare.
I guess some people may find the characters and surrealism enchanting - but I didn't. 5/10

The amazing spiderman - not the most inspired work to be honest, even for a superhero movie, but still very watchable. 7/10

Snowpiercer

Ive been looking forward to watching this film for a long time and I wasn't disappointed.

Besides some dodgy CGI moments I thought it was a good film with a strong and interesting story about class and status.

7.5/10

I second that.

And for the first 30mins, I was wreaking my head who the protagonist was. He looked like a Keanu Reeves with more expressions then it clicked, Chris Evans!

Totally enjoyed the film, great action scenes too. It's an 8/10 from me.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I think the biggest problem with this movie, and the first one, is the book. Trying to make a trilogy out of a relatively short children's book just hasn't worked for me.

In addition to that the acting and maybe the casting at times is falling short of what I would have hoped for.

Lastly the CGI, Peter Jacksons current love of all things pixelated just doesn't work. At times it was distracting (elf fight scenes), at other times its a poor replacement for the prosthetic's/real actors in The Lord of the Rings, particularly in reference to the Orcs who fail to have any sense of menace.

The time passed quick enough and it was occasionally entertaining but it falls short of The Lord of the Rings.

80's/90's/00's review scale (which should be in the OP for this thread :)
It gets a 5/10. Average and could/should have been better.

Captain Phillips - 9.5/10

Gripping and tense with an epic conclusion.

I rarely feel suspense when watching films, but I felt my heart pounding for long periods.

The Purge,

Great idea but very badly executed (excuse the pun) - could have been a lot better, story lacked deoth on any level and the action scenes were short. Too much faffing around with the homeless man. Ending was to be as expected.

Hopefully if a second one arrives it will have better direction.

5/10

Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Always been a fan of Ben Stiller and thought this movie was pretty good. It also had a nice message in it which I found moving. The cinematography and musical score were really excellent. Gets a 7.5/10 from me, easily.

over the weekend

Escape plan

Thought this would be ok, turned out it was complete rubbish. With Arnie and Stallone in it it must be a good.....nope, the story was just dire!

3/10

Silent house

was on film4 so thought I would watch it , not a great start felt dizzy from the start. the cameraman must have been high or something because the filming was all over the place and so was the film, complete nonsense.....why a dark house with daylight outside.

1/10

Elysium

rental, thought this was ok, all be done before but at least the story made sense and was 10x better than the films I had just watched.

6.5/10

Snowpiercer

Ive been looking forward to watching this film for a long time and I wasn't disappointed.

Besides some dodgy CGI moments I thought it was a good film with a strong and interesting story about class and status.

7.5/10

I do have a question about snowpiecer... spoiler obviously

What did I miss.. did they literally just kill everyone on the train and potentially end the human race to save two kids instead of spending a little time inventing a mechanical solution to replace those two?

Evans was given full control of the train by election so everyone was happy and he could easily have chosen to open a side door and drop off a few chaps that believed the Earth was still hospitable.

WHAT DID I MISS?!?!?!?

Last edited:
I do have a question about snowpiecer... spoiler obviously

What did I miss.. did they literally just kill everyone on the train and potentially end the human race to save two kids instead of spending a little time inventing a mechanical solution to replace those two?

Evans was given full control of the train by election so everyone was happy and he could easily have chosen to open a side door and drop off a few chaps that believed the Earth was still hospitable.

WHAT DID I MISS?!?!?!?

This is what I think:

He's been in the tail end right from the start. The haunting of his previous deeds before the food blocks was made available to the tail end, and the 'grooming' from John Hurt made him focused on getting to the front of the train - take over and liberate the people he's been suffering with.

Throughout the course, the showing of balance and everyone having a specific role in the train didn't deter him from the ultimate goal, get to the front. If even the Korean addict was talking about the side door, he wan't fussed as the focus is to get the train, get the engine, liberate.

Much like the train, he is focused and forever moving forward.

It's when he finally reach the end before his reality of what he's come to focus was shattered. The use of living kids as mechanical replacement - which is "extinct". Being told the end of his quest is only the beginning, to now run the train, follow Wilford's footsteps to maintain the engine, alone and making tough decisions, he cracked and shifted his focus back to liberating people.

Unfortunately that decision will lead to many death - something at that moment in time, isn't on his mind, He is afterall, focusing on saving the kids.

That decision may only have 2 kids surviving, but remember, that Korean girl has psychic ability, she has an uncanny sixth sense of living things / people. She may lead the salvation of humanity by going through the wreakage.

If a polar bear can survive, humans can too as the climate is changing and warming up, as it has been over the last 17 years.

That's how I saw the film anyway.

A Long way down: 4/10
I'm not sure about this film, the central plot concept was very interesting but that the film didn't know what to do with it. It also bounced between being a drama and a dark comedy and didn't hit either mark as a result. So all in all a bit meh really.

Back
Top Bottom