What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I saw the Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend - loved every second. Up there with Wes Anderson's best. 9/10

Last night we watched the newly remastered blu-ray of Robocop. Finally, after all this time, we get a great transfer of what I believe to be the best action movie ever made. It's perfect. The only possible gripe I could think of is ED 209 looking rather dated. Everything else looked stunning. Easy 10/10

Don
Fancied some Sci fi last night so passed on Gravity where George Clooney probably plays George Clooney in space and watched Europa Report instead. Being a bit of an astronomist it was nice to see something other than Mars or the moon being used as Europa really is a fascinating place.
Film wise it's Ok, quite slow and the usual plot holes of stuff like how gravity is simulated in space get pasted over but that's to be expected. Refreshingly 90 minutes long rather than some over long bloated 220 minute "epic" and on the whole I wasn't too disappointed. Probably won't watch it again but was OK for a Saturday night

I've seen both, wanted to like Europa Report more than Gravity, but Gravity has some of the tensest space scenes I've ever seen.

Europa Report is similar to the movies Sphere (1998) and Sunshine (2007), if you like space films, you'll like these 3.

I think anyone would appreciate Gravity.

Associate
I've seen both, wanted to like Europa Report more than Gravity, but Gravity has some of the tensest space scenes I've ever seen.

Europa Report is similar to the movies Sphere (1998) and Sunshine (2007), if you like space films, you'll like these 3.

I think anyone would appreciate Gravity.

It was a toss up between Europa and Sunshine, maybe next time. Itll take a few months to get round to watching Gravity, I tend to leave it until all the hype has died off then watch it. Didnt start watching Breaking Bad until there were only 6 episodes to go.

Associate
watched the The Wolf of Wall street

personally didn't find it as amazing as most people thought, I have not heard a bad word about it, definitely intended for male viewing which isn't a bad thing as it's full of girls. just thought it was odd in places loved Jonah hills character though.

8/10

Soldato
watched loads of films while stuck abroad for a few weeks

Man of Steel - terrible, only so many cgi buildings falling down you can watch before you want to pull your eyes out. almost like a 9/11 jerk off at one point
Superman fighting rather than saving all those people getting squashed by building he is helping to destroy ? stupid

Wreck It Ralf - awesome! typical pixar but some good arcade game jokes in there

Wolf Of Wall Street - Really good and whiled away 3 hours on a plane, didn't really end up going anywhere but funny and good anyhow

Drive - Awesome atmosphere and filming and style but maybe too much style over substance ?

World War Z - Good start and awesome big scale bits but thought the ending part was poor, after all that scale results in stuck in a small building seemed odd.

Hunger Games - A not as good battle royal really... not much else to it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Unbreakable.

Not the first time seeing it but I've forgotten all that happens in it since watching it many years ago.

Definitely one of the better superhero movies of our time. Also one of MKS's best films.
It's very hard to beat in many instances for the cinematography and emotional impact in many scenes. The score is amazing too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup it's not a superhero movie like we're used to being fed. It's a superhero movie of an entirely different flavour and the kind that no director has attempted the same way since. IMO not many directors out there would touch it either because it's so difficult to pull off.

There are little touches in Unbreakable that are nods to the genre like his coat tail flapping in the wind throughout various scenes and other things I won't spoil. The tension buildup in one of the final scenes with his kid was very moving.

Soldato
Agreed about Unbreakable. I saw it with no expectations or any real idea of plot and thought it was fantastic. Up there with my fave superhero movies and pretty much the polar opposite to Man of Steel - make of that what you want :)

On a similar theme - has anyone seen Special?

Associate
Unbreakable.

Not the first time seeing it but I've forgotten all that happens in it since watching it many years ago.

Definitely one of the better superhero movies of our time. Also one of MKS's best films.
It's very hard to beat in many instances for the cinematography and emotional impact in many scenes. The score is amazing too.

Loved the ending, when S L Jackson talks about the good and the bad :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Yup it's not a superhero movie like we're used to being fed. It's a superhero movie of an entirely different flavour and the kind that no director has attempted the same way since. IMO not many directors out there would touch it either because it's so difficult to pull off.

There are little touches in Unbreakable that are nods to the genre like his coat tail flapping in the wind throughout various scenes and other things I won't spoil. The tension buildup in one of the final scenes with his kid was very moving.

Loved the ending, when S L Jackson talks about the good and the bad :)

They call me Mr Glass.

I don't know what it is but I've found a lot of the films right on 2000 strangely dark.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Back then they relied more on the actors and the writing/cinematography over CGI and making loud noises so I think that's one big factor :D

Special is amazing too!

V F

V F

Soldato
Back then they relied more on the actors and the writing/cinematography over CGI and making loud noises so I think that's one big factor :D

Special is amazing too!

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved Unbreakable. It just had something similar to the dark suspense like The Sixth Sense.

Though to be honest to some degree I'm getting sick of a lot of Hollywood films today. It's superhero rehash after rehash to post apocalyptic to some other end of the world whether it be disease or fleeing planets. It always feels like whatever is in the news this month we'll make a film about it with a huge twist to reality.

Sometimes you see Hollywood now and then and it's nearly nothing but superheroes.

You can see all these cycles and now to some degree it's 200 foot monsters and robots to Godzilla.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I agree! Although they are entertaining but I never expect a modern superhero film to be as thought provoking as the ones from a decade+ ago.

Captain America on Wednesday :p

Back
Top Bottom