What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The World's End. It was better than I'd been led to believe from some people's comments on here. The action was good, and the script was funny and well written. I appreciate good swearing in a film, and this was really good at it. The ending was a bit flat and weak, but the journey getting there was good fun.

Shaun of the Dead is still the best, though.

Soldato
The Raid 2 8/10 - decent sequel, if im honest i still prefer the first because it was more claustrophobic being in the apartment complex rather than out and about.

The fight scenes in 2 were epic tho

Last edited:
Associate
That Guy Who Was In That Thing

Documentary about character actors in Hollywood. I did recognise quite a few and its interesting to hear their experiences of trying to make a living in Hollywood. Some you'll recognise and think they must be millionaires yet its the down to earth fact that being in a film doest suddenly set you up for life that shows the real side of the movie business.
Drags a little part way through as the format stays the same but its only 1h 20 long so no real slog either. Interesting insight into the job they do.

Soldato
Finally watched Schindler's List after having it on my film list for many years.

Tbh, I feel a bit sick.

One thing to remember is that the holocaust happened some 70-75 years ago. And those involved in the atrocities (for the most part), were tried/killed.

In the current age there are atrocities occurring in African countries. I was watching a program the other day, where soldiers will ask civilians if they want a short sleeve or long sleeve. What they mean is that, "do you want me to chop your arm off at the wrist or at the upper arm".

And if you want to look at incidents involving big numbers of death, look no further than the Iraqi war.

I think though, its fair to say that the holocaust remains the worst atrocity in documented history.

Man of Honour
One thing to remember is that the holocaust happened some 70-75 years ago. And those involved in the atrocities (for the most part), were tried/killed.

In the current age there are atrocities occurring in African countries. I was watching a program the other day, where soldiers will ask civilians if they want a short sleeve or long sleeve. What they mean is that, "do you want me to chop your arm off at the wrist or at the upper arm".

And if you want to look at incidents involving big numbers of death, look no further than the Iraqi war.

I think though, its fair to say that the holocaust remains the worst atrocity in documented history.

TBH, I'm most uncomfortable due to philosophical reasons. The Nazis did some horrific things, the fact that murder became normal to so many people seems pretty alien to me, but I ask if these people are inherently bad or whether it was a product of the culture and the indoctrination. If it's the latter then could this happen again? Could someone like myself end up being party to it? If I were born in Germany and became an adult in the 30's would I have been involved or could I have found a way to stay true to my morals and ethics? Was there really a choice for many of the SS Officers?

There's just so many questions that I can't stop thinking about that make me feel so very uncomfortable.

Soldato
If I were born in Germany and became an adult in the 30's would I have been involved or could I have found a way to stay true to my morals and ethics?

There's a strong likelihood that you'd have "gone along with the program".
As an example, Tony Blair went to war against Iraq. The war was prosecuted to hunt down weapons of mass destruction. We all know that this is/was a lie.

Given the above, at no stage was Tony Blair done for war crimes. Most people in the West believe what they were doing was right. They "went with the program".

Many civilians died during this war - over 500k.

For this reason, I believe that most people would "go with the program", even though logically, the people involved know that what they are doing is wrong.

Soldato
Just watched "The Bridge" on netflix. Extremely powerful film, i think it also shows powerful film can be when it is real people and not actors portraying a role.

Im not sure i can rate a movie like this but it takes a very delicate subject and genuinely makes you think about the people in these situations, highly recommended watch.

2q3c9kj.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799954/

Soldato
There's a strong likelihood that you'd have "gone along with the program".
As an example, Tony Blair went to war against Iraq. The war was prosecuted to hunt down weapons of mass destruction. We all know that this is/was a lie.

Given the above, at no stage was Tony Blair done for war crimes. Most people in the West believe what they were doing was right. They "went with the program".

Many civilians died during this war - over 500k.

For this reason, I believe that most people would "go with the program", even though logically, the people involved know that what they are doing is wrong.

You're making a good point, but I think it is unjust and misleading to state numbers like 500k civilian deaths when most of those were attributable to Saddam, his regime forces and then the insurgency that followed the Iraq invasion. It isn't like Blair was rounding up Iraqis and gassing them.

Back
Top Bottom